Possible to make choices in GTA IV?

BuldozerX

Is it possible to make choices in GTA 4 that will have effect on the story or something? Something like Mass Effect style?

One other question. How advanced will the fighting system be?

A couple of people who have completed the game have confirmed that you can make slight choices, but nothing to the effect of an RPG.

Heres a quote by Game Radars interview with Rob Smith.

GR: Going back to the story, Rockstar has hinted that you’ll have some control over the choices Niko makes. Was there ever a time when you felt like you were making a decision that was actually influencing the direction of the story?

RS: Several. Some really critical ones. Without giving anything away, you do make a conscious A or B choice, and that... can be something that you’re not entirely sure what the outcome is going to be. It’s not instantly apparent, because of the vagaries of who you’re dealing with and what their reactions will be. But yeah, you’ll definitely feel like you’re making choices that have an impact on the way the story goes.

GR: So those decisions, do they leave you wanting to go back and load a save file, just to see what happens when you choose the other way?

RS: That’s what I’ve been doing, to sort of see what happens when you do it this way. Fortunately, [Official Xbox Magazine Managing Editor] Cory [Cohen] played as well, so we actually tried to coordinate. And he did it one way and I did it another, and so we actually found out what a couple of the decisions were.

GR: And did it dramatically alter the course of the story?

RS: No, it doesn’t dramatically alter the course. It does alter, or it can alter, some of the things that you do, get and see. So, Cory had - because of a decision he made - something that I didn’t. And couldn’t get. Never got. Not a path that was suddenly closed off, but just sort of how that... opens up options. It was just cool to know that difference was there. But there are a few places where in making those decisions, you’ll have to sit and think for a moment before doing whatever it is that you choose to do.

Grand Theft Auto Dude

You do get choices, but they won't affect the story alot. You might get to do different missions, but the rest of the game won't change much.

It's not like in Fallout 3, where there are 200 different endings. How much would it suck making each one of them?

I doubt it as it's not an RPG

It done have to ba an RPG to make choices. Jedi Academy is no RGP, and you can choose between dark and light side in the middle point of the game. You can also make choices in Deus Ex, and its a FPS action game.

Yes it is...Thats sayed on rewiev...You have A and B choice which effect story

I'm going to take a wild guess on that "choice A and choice B" I think you will either get to choose to turn on roman and in the last mission you will have to kill roman or you continue to take the side of roman and you have to kill a major enemy of roman's in the last mission, that's just a guess and my oppinion.

And a lot of the time it could just be like in that San Andreas mission 'High Noon' where if you push the cop's car over the ravine, you don't, of course, see the cutscene in which he acts like a smartass to CJ until the very last foot stomp. Which is good too ... you shape your own personal story a bit without them having to come up with too many scenarios.

• 1 month later...

there's is a big difference in one of the choices you make.. but after you do.. you wish you would never get past that second mission, the one after you get off the boat.. if someone who'se interested read this:

BUT THERE ARE A BIG F*CKIN SPOILER IN HERE!! I MEAN.. A REALLY F*CKIN BIG ONE!! tounge.gif..

Don't click it!! even if you want it!! But come on.. what's it gonna do?? it's just a cople of letters in here.. just click the button and get it over with.. but DONT!

I warned ya..

GTA3Freak-2001

Yeah thanks but this was posted before the game came out, I am sure most people know by now that you have some minor choices and that there are two endings to the game. Anyway atleast if someone searches they'll get this topic to answer their question.

AngerOfTheNorth

The main choices come when you have to decide who to kill out of several pairs of people. Different choice yield different outcomes, but don't change the storyline.

There is one choice though that does affect the storyline. Just make sure that as soon as you finish the mission "That Special Someone", you go and save the game into two or more different save slots. The split in storylines comes after this (therefore allowing you to see both without playing the whole game through again).