Player Name Markers.

MalR

I don't think this has been brought to attention here yet, so I might as well post a quote from one of the new Multiplayer Reviews released today.

People here at GTAForums have been talking about how the Player Marker above your head could easily give you away if you were trying to be stealthy, or just far away. I agree and I'm happy to read that you can turn them off, confirmed.

Quote from Kikizo preview five.

In Deathmatch you can define weapon classes, such as 'Powerful', or for example choose to have only rocket launchers (which we found very difficult since the rockets do not lock on to targets) or even 'only knives'. If you're playing with just knives, things are going to become stealthy, so another useful option is to turn off player markers that appear over people's heads and also turn off people's locations on radar.

Super super good news, that one thing could have ruined a good part of online play in my opinion.

They should have built this like COD4, where the marker only appears on enemies when you're fired on them--putting them on your radar for a short time.

they could have us driving turds with infant head wheels and i would still be in love with the 16 player freeroam

*CarBoaster*
They should have built this like COD4, where the marker only appears on enemies when you're fired on them--putting them on your radar for a short time.

Play hardcore mode, it's sort-of like that.

Nice. That means we could walk between the AI peds and pretend like we are AI and then, BAM! Right in the head!

It's like that in Metal Gear Online too. But I perfer no tags at all, feels more real, more cinematic.

Nice. That means we could walk between the AI peds and pretend like we are AI and then, BAM! Right in the head!

Says a lot about the right to conceal--don't trust anybody!

Here's to hoping we'll walk similar to the peds, otherwise they'd easily pick us out.

But if we do, that just shows how amazingly GTA4 goes to make the game better and better by letting you do real-life things.

That's good news, thanks for bringing it to my attention icon14.gif

user posted image

nikoisabadman

This is good news thanks for the quote from the preview seeing as i cbf to read them lol.

Here's to hoping we'll walk similar to the peds, otherwise they'd easily pick us out.

But if we do, that just shows how amazingly GTA4 goes to make the game better and better by letting you do real-life things.

speaking of doing realistic things, do you think we'll be able to sit on benches? Then you can just watch the other players pass by, while you stalk them...lol

True, but even if we walk just like the peds (wich sounds likely) we will probably not be able to flee in terror like the peds do. My meaning is that if you´re uncertain you could fire and when peple starts to scream and run about, the player will be easily spotted. But on the other hand, then you will have revealed your own location... the more I think of it the more supernatural this MP seemes to be!! I hope I can look like an old man with a newspaper...and a rpg behind it. I love it allready! biggrin.gif

-When you crouch, your player name disappears, but the coloured dot above your head doesn't.

-If you get behind cover, your name and your coloured dot disappears.

Just posting this for everyone that doesn't know tounge.gif

True, but even if we walk just like the peds (wich sounds likely) we will probably not be able to flee in terror like the peds do. My meaning is that if you?re uncertain you could fire and when peple starts to scream and run about, the player will be easily spotted. But on the other hand, then you will have revealed your own location... the more I think of it the more supernatural this MP seemes to be!! I hope I can look like an old man with a newspaper...and a rpg behind it. I love it allready! biggrin.gif

I don't see what would stop you from turning around and running away just as the peds do when they see guns. As long as you time it right, I'm sure you could blend in perfectly.

As for sitting on benches, I think that'd be great. It might not be possible as there'd be no "actual" use, but then again Rockstar is trying their best to make it very much like real life without taking away the fun, so I don't see why they wouldn't add that.

This just promotes further helpless slaughtering of civilians on a massive scale, as I know I surely will not trust crowds of peds angry.gif .

Yes, should be really awesome. This article makes me realize I'll need to get a bluetooth headset pretty soon. Recommendations?

This just promotes further helpless slaughtering of civilians on a massive scale, as I know I surely will not trust crowds of peds angry.gif .

Brilliant.

Team deathmatch, knives only, high ped density, medium traffic, no name blips, no radar blips - That'll be fun =P