Map creation

Roggah

Hi I am new at this modding thing and I am using GTA: SA and want to create a new map from scratch.. I wonder what software I should use to build the terrain and stuff .. I have looked into the Map Editor but it seems that that software is only for moving objects and not create land.. sorry if I have created a new topic and there is a topic about this but I cant find it anyway.. I have searched at google about "create map for GTA: SA" and looked at youtube with the same search without any luck..

You create them with 3D modeling programs, such as 3ds Max, ZModeler, Gmax and Blender. Gmax and 3ds Max are good for map modeling. Gmax is free, but almost the same as 3ds max but with less features, search google for "3ds max tutorials", even though you would be using gmax, they are nearly the same thing. Or download the 3ds max 30 day trial and have fun for a month.

Mmm.. I found some tutorials but.. hmm is the map in sa more than 1 "map"?? I wonder because when I am using map editor it shows 1 part of the map and I need to check all the areas to see the whole map :S .. Now I am starting to wonder if I need to create sections on the map .. and about Gmax.. I think I know how to create the map.. but when I am putting a texture on the " map" the texture looks like **** the quality is not good at all what should I do? because I want the photo of the town as land texture in the beginning so I know where to raise the ground and when to lower it.. sorry can someone move this to the TF then? I didnt saw where I posted it...

Edited by Roggah

You need to learn the tools at hand. Textures look sh*t because you're dropping them on and not UVW mapping them and/or unwrapping them.

the map is One map, and is separated into different areas for various reasons. You have a lot of studying to do, because it's all here, and I won't type a whole page for fear of redundant broken record anxiety. In the pinned topics, there is a lot of information and you need to start messing with the actual game files and not relying on outdated/buggy tools, because until you are intimate with RWGTA3 engine and structure, you will have a hard time. I suggest you begin looking at files "ok, that's a 'dot IPL file', I need to look on GTAF, GTAModding.com, and google to find out what is a IPL and how does it work"

I assure you, you'll understand why I pointed somewhere else instead of writing it all out here again when you see how often I come up in your search results tounge.gif

Anything you particularly get stuck with, ask away. But we expect you to do a little ground work and show Some understanding first m8. Happy modding.

To help you along with 3ds max/gMax, I suggest you go register (must to access) with 3Dbuzz.com and watch their tuts; I've been recommending them for nigh on 4 or 5 years now, and never a complaint yet. They are a great start and will make text tutorials wayyyyyyy easier to follow once you watch them.

HammerBChen is awesome too (click screen while playing to get to more of his vids) and he will show you how to do cool sh*t like this:

LUCK FOR A BUCK!!!!! f*ck Yea!

GTAF's Most Annoying Unbanned Member.

user posted image

bai. -jllr

Ok thx for the suggestion .. hmm I have found some tutorials and help here but not exactly the answers I wanted but I will check the tutorials you mentioned .. I need patience when it is about this .. I thought it would be easy from the start smile.gif.. ok your answer about UVmapping was good but I mean the questions and answers that I have found on the forum.. I will try not to post anymore until I am really stuck next time smile.gif.. Its easier to ask than to search smile.gif.. guess thats why I posted this question smile.gif

Edited by Roggah