two doubts

dxk

ok, first one= how do I create a reflection of an object using photoshop CS3 ?

second = merging two pictures like in the GTAF's banner[top of the page]

make that three doubts.

what can I do to make these better?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

It feels like something is missing.

thanks in advance. icon14.gif

Edited by dxk

Reflection:

Duplicate layer, drag top to under to make a 'reflection'. Make occupacity to lower (whatever you like), then get a large brush for rubber, make it's hardness 0% and go straight horizontally across the bottom of the second layer.

Is that what you meant?

Hey Cee, I didn't expect to see you out of IV area. But yes, that is what I meant.Thanks.

now to merging and comments on the above works.

Hey Cee, I didn't expect to see you out of IV area. But yes, that is what I meant.Thanks.

now to merging and comments on the above works.

What exactly do you want to know about merging?

You're actually talking about compositing, not merging. Using the same eraser brush that Cee suggested, erase the edge of the topmost layer. Simple as that.

Of course, the GTAF banner gets a little more creative, and cuts out certain objects that extend dimensionally, like the helicopter's tail, or the police car, so it doesn't look so lame.

user posted image

ILovePolarBears

A good reflection also needs some perspective. With the reflection layer selected, Go to Edit > Transform > Perspective, and stretch the bottom of the layer slightly. Also, if you use the eraser method, try holding shift while using the eraser so it'll stay straight. You can alternatively create the fading for reflections using a black to white gradient on a layer mask.

As for the 'merging', they did it on the banner with a combination of cutting around the edges of things (such as the GTA3 protagonist on the right) and fading between images, either with black to white gradients on layer masks, or with the eraser using 0 hardness and a large brush.

Edited by ILovePolarBears

Perspective on reflections is tricky, because there shouldn't really be any if the subject is perendicular to the reflective surface, correct?

Edit - or am I confusing this with the camera? Is the trick to fake a different angle?

Edited by Otter