red rings of death?!

meathead316

meathead316

yo

im still debating whether to get a ps3 or 360 elite, and ivce been doin a little research on both and came across the "red rings of death" i am more than a little concerned. is this an old problem or are new consoles still having this problem (elites i mean)? if they are, then my mind is made up!

Blackadder.

Older consoles had this problem more fequently, where as newer consoles are less likely to have this problem.

If you take good care of it though it is very unlikely to happen.

user posted image

As Blackadder said, newer 360's have less chance of RROD failure. As long as you don't keep your 360 on for excessive amounts of time and take care of it, then you shouldn't experience too many troubles.

Also if your going after the Elite i'm pretty sure i heard that it bypasses the RRoD problem.

s0h607k.jpg

Depends what you really want. What exclsives are better for you.

360's are known for a 30% failure rate, but I guess if you take care of it, it will be fine.

yo

im still debating whether to get a ps3 or 360 elite, and ivce been doin a little research on both and came across the "red rings of death" i am more than a little concerned. is this an old problem or are new consoles still having this problem (elites i mean)? if they are, then my mind is made up!

icon14.gif Get a PS3, far better and well woth it.

if you get an elite with a falcon cpu the possiblity to get rrod is very low.

Still, i'd get a PS3. happy.gif

Well, fanboy, he wasn't asking what you'd get, he was asking whether RRoD was still an issue or not. Next time, STFU.

"Face Your Fears, Live Your Dreams" - No Fear

"God was a dream of good government." - Deus Ex Machina

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,

you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

sig.jpg

Well, fanboy, he wasn't asking what you'd get, he was asking whether RRoD was still an issue or not. Next time, STFU.

I'm not a fanboy. angry.gif

yeah I agree, hes not a fan boy, he is just stating the obvious in saying that the ps3 is probably a safer choice.

and dont call me a fanboy, because I have 360! not PS3.

RIP Rockstar Games

1998 - 2021

just another thug

There is a 1 year warranty (I believe?) for the 360. Under this warranty you can get your XBox fixed if you run into the RRoD problem.

Also, RRoD is caused by leaving your xbox on for long amounts of time constantly.

user posted image

Napalm Jason

Every single Xbox 360 on the market has gotten the RRoD at least once! You do the math! sarcasm.gif

user posted image

DEATH. METAL.

There is a 1 year warranty (I believe?) for the 360.

Actually, there is a one year warranty that includes any damage that might happen to the console that isn't purposely inflicted, and a three year warranty that only covers the RRoD.

Slosten.gif

Every single Xbox 360 on the market has gotten the RRoD at least once! You do the math! sarcasm.gif

110% of statistics are made up on the spot!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.

sig.jpg

Hmm, let's see. Original post:

yo

So, he's giving some thought as to whether to get a PS3 or a 360. Ok. His question, and thus the point of the topic, is highlighted in bold. He's asking whether RRoD is still an issue, not whether to get a PS3 or a 360.

You come back with:

icon14.gif Get a PS3, far better and well woth it.

So, that answers his question and isn't mindless fanboyism how, exactly?

Then, someone else posts, on topic:

Which is answering the question originally asked. You then feel the need to reply with:

Again, mindless fanboyism.

Tell me again how you're not a fanboy? I must have missed it. sarcasm.gif

sig.jpg

meathead316

so rrod is still an issue, but with 1 year warrenty (where i can return concole to the sotre i got it from) and also another 2 years on top of that where microsoft will fix it if i do ever get rrod is alrite i guess.

no leaving 360 on for long time... riiiiiight, because i and everyother member of these formusm didnt plan on going to get the game at midnight and playing it for like 20 hours straight at which time our eyes would have started bleeding and we wud have picked up the main characters russian accent...

maybe ps3 wud be the safer option, but the online play isnt as good i hear. damn the red rings of death! (has anyone actually been killed by them?)

I'm glad I got a 360, and I still want a PS3 as well!

I decided to get a 360 because of the better online service and extras like Achievements (big thing for me) I don't know much about the PS3 arcade, store, or video stuff. But I love my 360 because it has more exclusive games that I like (Saints Row, Bioshock, Gears of War, Just Cause, Prey, Bully, GH2, Halo 3, Crackdown, Dead Rising, etc.) compared to the PS3 (MotorStorm, Resistance, Heavenly Sword, Haze, L.A. Noire, MGS4, Uncharted, Socom, etc.)

I've had my 360 for 4 months, and I had to send it in, yes sad I know. I didn't get RRoD, but the open tray problem (takes a couple tries before it reads the game, could take upto 2 hours to read 1 game). But it has 3 year warranty for RRoD, 1 year for anything other than RRoD (but you can purposely overheat your 360 to get RRoD).

Just base which console on what games you like most for that console, how much money you will spend, and how much you play online.

You must have missed the part where he said he's thinking of the PS3 and 360. He was asking our opinions...

@meathead - there are plenty of sources online (youtube, google etc) where you can look up the interface of both consoles. You should also consider the games you want. We will all tell you get the console based on OUR experiences. You shouldn't let us make the decision for you since you are spending YOUR money. GameSpot has a list for both consoles. You can check the games on both consoles. GTA4 is on both consoles but MGS4 is on the PS3 and Halo 3 is on the 360 or Ninja Gaiden 2 if that is your thing.

The 360 has a 3 year warranty if you are worried about the RROD but it's up to you to decide if you want to go through the process but a lot of 360 owners will tell you that it's gotten better so you won't have to worry as much as the people who adopted early.

PS3's online isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. You can get online with it and play others. It's not as good as Live but that's when you bring in things like in-game messing, custom soundtrack etc.....things that aren't really part of the gameplay. I won't deny that they make the experience better but if you are about to make a headshot you won't be messaging someone. Custom soundtracks are a good thing, specially for some games....you have to decide on this, I am not going to tell you what to do but the bottom line is.....with the PS3 you will be able to join games online and play others just like you can on the 360 minus the features I mentioned. The PS3 lets you do that, it lets you play others. PS3 does support bluetooth headsets so if you have one that you use with your cell you've already got one....and if not, it'll be a good time to get it since you could also use it for your cell.

Edited by sainraja

I bought my 360 on launch day, I leave it on pretty muchall the time. I sits on carpet in a very hot room and guess what... No RRoD. People are only going to complain about the broken ones, nobods going to make a topic say "My Xbox is a-ok" so thats why the RRoD is overplayed. My Brothers xbox360 was also aqqired on launch day and he hasn't got th RRoD yet. And my PS3 hasn't failed me yet, except it does take awhile to load up Blu-Ray so I just bought a Blu-Ray drive for my Gamer Pc.

Both consoles rule ok so go with gut instinct

p.s. My Wii broke though becuase my brother punched it with his control lol.gif

user posted image

YourNeighborhoodKiller

That doesn't seem to be the issue anymore. With the RRoD. It was back then when 360 just came out, that people starting having problems. But now they've supposedly fixed the problem. So theres a lower chance of you ever getting it.

You'll have to take care of it. If you don't want it to break. But really, it's your decision. Either get a 360 or PS3.

New account: Gezim

I bought my 360 on launch day, I leave it on pretty muchall the time. I sits on carpet in a very hot room and guess what... No RRoD. People are only going to complain about the broken ones, nobods going to make a topic say "My Xbox is a-ok" so thats why the RRoD is overplayed. My Brothers xbox360 was also aqqired on launch day and he hasn't got th RRoD yet. And my PS3 hasn't failed me yet, except it does take awhile to load up Blu-Ray so I just bought a Blu-Ray drive for my Gamer Pc.

Both consoles rule ok so go with gut instinct

p.s. My Wii broke though becuase my brother punched it with his control lol.gif

Are you purposely trying your luck with the 360?

I really don't see why you would put your 360 under such conditions, even if it hasn't broken yet, performance does go down with heat.

Since your 360 is a launch console your warranty is probably out, so unless you're rich or you like throwing away money I suggest you put your 360 on some other surface in a less hot room and run it for shorter times.

But it's your call wink.gif.

FIOszpJ.gif

You must have missed the part where he said he's thinking of the PS3 and 360. He was asking our opinions...

Hmm, let's see. Original post:

yo

So, he's giving some thought as to whether to get a PS3 or a 360. Ok. His question, and thus the point of the topic, is highlighted in bold. He's asking whether RRoD is still an issue, not whether to get a PS3 or a 360.

So no, easy mistake to make, but he wasn't actually asking for opinions. Maybe he'd expected people to give them anyway, but it's not what he asked.

sig.jpg

SWEETSAPRIK

yo

As far as I know an elite can get an RRoD, as could a newer model (as compared to a launch model), but it's less likely. From what I've read the failure rate has been halved.

Personally though, I wouldn't let that factor into my decision on which console to buy anyway. First of all, assuming you even did get a RRoD with your 360 you'd fall under the three year warranty. Second, any hardware can fail. With a PS3 you could have your laser sh*t itself and not be able to read any discs. And failure rates don't really mean much anyway. I mean if you buy system X and it fails, the fact that you're in the minority won't be much consolation.

Aside from the specific failure rates, the only real difference between a 360 failing and a PS3 failing is that there is no LED display or "snappy nickname" for a PS3's hardware failure.

thing is, my X360 is my 2nd one, which is to say, I'm pretty sure it came from the 2nd or 3rd batch (the ones dispatched to fix the launch consoles). It works fine, aside from the disk tray jamming up fairly often (but manual release is your friend there.). I'm scared that it Might RROD, but I'm probably just paranoid in that case, because before i turn it on, i pull it outward a bit so it (it's in a 2-3 foot wide space in between my bed and my computer, so if it were out, it'd be next to my computer chair. but, my sister has the cables to give it power and connect it to my TV, so it's under my bed) the best ventilation possible, make sure the blankets on my bed don't go near it, and then I'm clear to turn it on.

And failure rates don't really mean much anyway. I mean if you buy system X and it fails, the fact that you're in the minority won't be much consolation.

Aside from the specific failure rates, the only real difference between a 360 failing and a PS3 failing is that there is no LED display or "snappy nickname" for a PS3's hardware failure.

You make it sound like they both have the same failure rates.

Everyone I know with 360's have had to get them repaired (thats about 3 or 4 and not kids that dont look after their stuff)

but I know more people with ps3's and no-one has had any problems barring the odd freeze up.

Who wants the inconvenience of (almost guaranteed) getting it repaired

then again its also an inconvenience to have to wait longer for games and map packs so it all balance's out and maybe you're right it does'nt matter tounge2.gif .

I have had my 360 console since the launch day and I have not had one iota of trouble with it(and I know a few others who are the same), no red rings at all. *Math done*

@OP: If you get a 360, just take good care of it and you won't have any trouble. icon14.gif

Say what you want about 360 fanboys, but God PS3 fanboys are the worst.

@OP: If you get a 360, just take good care of it and you won't have any trouble. icon14.gif

Thats exactly what someone I know was saying untill about a month ago.