Grand Theft Auto IV and Heat

ThurmanMurman

ThurmanMurman

With Grand Theft Auto IV on the horizon, i have been asking myself, will a Heat game still be relevant when its finally released?

The audience of GTA IV and Heat greatly (i would imagine) overlap. People who want a Heat game (generally) want to play the "Bank Shootout" portion of the film. They want to feel what it would be like to go from a totally under control situation to World War III in the middle of a downtown city street, in broad daylight no less, while ducking behind cars and popping out to take pot shots at nearby law enforcement, all in a matter of a few seconds.

Thats where i think GTA IV will come in. With GTA IV's much touted cover system, players will be able to get that experience whenever they wish, not only from a bank heist, but from a wide variety of situations. Not to mention being able to do this with 15 others online.

Therefore i think, unless the game has some type of dialog tree system in the vein of Mass Effect, it will be a total fluke. When i watch Heat i watch it for the writing and compelling characters. The shooting sequence is sweet too, but thats just an added bonus.

The game already has a solid list of characters, each compelling in their own right, so i cannot imagine they do not have enough material to write some new lines. The help of the original actors would help, but i do not think that it is necessary to make a great game. What is necessary is that Gearbox uses the story to push the game, rather than just saying "Dude, you know that crazy ass scene from the movie where Kilmer takes a shot to the throat? DONE!" and running with it.

What are your opinions on this topic, mainly regarding the relevancy of Heat as a game after Grand Theft Auto IV is released?

After seeing in the 4th trailer when they all run into a bank with ski masks that was it for me. GTA IV was gonna be the best game ever. I loved the bank heist mission in VC, but this one takes the cake. It has like all of the elements that it needs to replicate Heat's shootout.

ThurmanMurman
There is a Heat game in development?

Its in the super early phases of development.

Gearbox has the rights to it.

ThurmanMurman
wtf is Heat?

Seriously?

Its a Heist film Starring Pacino and DeNiro.

Get off the computer and go watch it.

That movie is part of the reason that cover in games has become so big and is regarded so highly.

The Bank scene is said to be the "Holy grail" for games that feature shooting.

wtf is Heat?

Seriously?

Its a Heist film Starring Pacino and DeNiro.

Get off the computer and go watch it.

That movie is part of the reason that cover in games has become so big and is regarded so highly.

The Bank scene is said to be the "Holy grail" for games that feature shooting.

This guy's dead on, that shootout scene is epic!!! Go check it out, it's well worth it, one of the best movies, you can't go wrong with De Niro and Pacino in the same movie.

ThurmanMurman

wtf is Heat?

Dude, I'm gonna pretend you didn't ask that.

But if you must know...(Click me)

Ontopic You're taking things too serious man. Chillax.

I dont think im taking anything seriously, its just a genuine question.

Seeing as how i think Heat is such an important crime drama, one that has set the standard for the way action is depicted in those type of films, i was just wondering if anyone felt the way i did.

Think about it. GTA IV has open world, real physics, real guns, more realistic AI, and cover.

Thats basically the part of Heat that the general public wants. Seeing as how they will have it on April 29th, the Heat game will really need to go for something else to not get passed off as "just another shooter".

Look at what happened with Kane and Lynch. That game took that part of Heat and tried to stretch it for 10 hours (Im being really modest) of gameplay. Look how that worked out.

xNewtype Acex
wtf is Heat?

Dude, I'm gonna pretend you didn't ask that.

But if you must know...(Click me)

Ontopic You're taking things too serious man. Chillax.

I dont think im taking anything seriously, its just a genuine question.

Seeing as how i think Heat is such an important crime drama, one that has set the standard for the way action is depicted in those type of films, i was just wondering if anyone felt the way i did.

Think about it. GTA IV has open world, real physics, real guns, more realistic AI, and cover.

Thats basically the part of Heat that the general public wants. Seeing as how they will have it on April 29th, the Heat game will really need to go for something else to not get passed off as "just another shooter".

Look at what happened with Kane and Lynch. That game took that part of Heat and tried to stretch it for 10 hours (Im being really modest) of gameplay. Look how that worked out.

Well, what would you expect of a game based on a movie? And about the Kane And Lynch thing, it was all good until the Guerrilla Warfare in Cuba part. Don't get me wrong, PMC's are awesome and all but I just didn't think this fit in with the rest of the game.

TheDude5000

The Heat game was announced like 2-3 years ago. I don't think they ever even signed DeNiro or any of the other stars. I honestly think it's been canned. And isn't Gearbox now working on the Aliens game anyway?

user posted image

Therefore i think, unless the game has some type of dialog tree system in the vein of Mass Effect, it will be a total fluke. When i watch Heat i watch it for the writing and compelling characters. The shooting sequence is sweet too, but thats just an added bonus.

If a dialogue tree system makes the game, it's in a sorry state of affairs.

ThurmanMurman
Therefore i think, unless the game has some type of dialog tree system in the vein of Mass Effect, it will be a total fluke.  When i watch Heat i watch it for the writing and compelling characters.  The shooting sequence is sweet too, but thats just an added bonus.

If a dialogue tree system makes the game, it's in a sorry state of affairs.

Not if the game is not categorized as an action game. Mass Effect is not a shoot em up, its a role playing game, therefore the dialog helps the narrative. Honestly id rather have the dialog trees to play around with than have Kane & Lynch 2: Deniro

PolishAssassin03

Well bank Bank robberies always end up lame you make the heist its all fun you kill 3 or 4 cops then you get in your car go back to your safe house. Roadblocks don't stop you they never get you with tire spikes the cops chasing you are just stupid. But now with new AI it might add some realism I can't wait (even though I just basically flamed the sh*t out of this topic lol). It will be fun I bet.

ThurmanMurman

Well bank Bank robberies always end up lame you make the heist its all fun you kill 3 or 4 cops then you get in your car go back to your safe house. Roadblocks don't stop you they never get you with tire spikes the cops chasing you are just stupid. But now with new AI it might add some realism I can't wait (even though I just basically flamed the sh*t out of this topic lol). It will be fun I bet.

You didnt really flame dude, youre telling the truth. Up until now the Heists were missing something. That sense of tension one might get when outnumbered in real life.

Because GTA is going for realism all that will (hopefully) change. I couldnt agree with you more.

However, I dont think heists in general are lame, just the way theyve been portrayed in interactive media is. No one has hit that sweet spot quite yet.

Edited by ThurmanMurman