I need Help....

Niko Bellico

Niko Bellico

Ok well my dad has a 2008 50" Samsung 1080p Plasma and i have a RCA SDT tv. Well the RCA is a tottal peice of sh*t, and i want to play on his tv while he's at work or something. I'm scared i might wreck it somehow with a pixels burn or something stupid, but in the manual it has a Game Mode feature and screenburn protetion so does that mean i can play if i turn those on and it would be as if i hadden't done anything. blush.gif

Thanx you

user posted image

Yeah, it should work fine, and not pixel burn if you have it on.

If the TV does that, he can just get warranty for a fault product, since it didn't do what it said it could do.

Uh yeah, thats fine. The only thing that would cause burn-in on your screen would be to leave the game on a VERY static and hight contrast visual. 360 and PS3 both dim down after a while by default.

Turn on those modes if you wish, but as long as you're playing the game while its plugged in and then turn it off when you're done, it'll be fine.

I Just recently bought a 50" Plasma Hitachi Tv.

It will work fine just dont pause the game and let it sit there for about 5 mins on the same screen or it will burn in. I did it with Ratchet and Clank but my t.v has a thing called Screen wipe and it clears all the burnt images off of it.

But it will be fine...

user posted image

GTA3Freak-2001

Modern Plasma's are less prone to burn-in, with GTA4 not having much of a HUD your chances of burn-in are drastically reduced so I'd say you'd be fine. You also mention you'll be connecting it to the TV while your Dad is at work, so depending how long he works the time you are playing the game isn't going to be extreme.

That's kinda devious is it not? I'd do it. If it's a new set, there's no need to worry about burn-in, that happens over extended time with images left for hours on the screen, that's the reason for screensavers, bud!! ph34r.gif

I will be sure to let my TV sit with it's power off for a good number of hours before I pop in GTA4 for the first time to remove any discoloration/lines from these forums/my desktop lightly toasted into my screen. There's no way I'm gonna want to start it up and see yellow artifacts left from the blue backgrounds of these boards.

noelpioroda

If TV's are going to be that good. Then you shouldn't worry about that man. Otherwise blame the HDTV companies.

There shouldn't be much of a risk of burn-in anyways. The only static image on the screen, it seems, is the circle surrounding the radar, and that is mostly black. (Only bright, static images can burn in.)

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Only bright, static images can burn in.

Actually, anything can burn in, but the more contrast in color or brightness, the more the burnt in image will stand-out.

Actually, anything can burn in, but the more contrast in color or brightness, the more the burnt in image will stand-out.

No. It really is just the bright pixels that burn in. You might be thinking of the situation when you have a black image on white background. That burns in, but not because black image burns in, but because the bright background does. The contrast between burnt in and not is what you see.

If you have a moving image everywhere, and a static black image over it, there will be no burn-in. This seems to be the case with the radar, so you should be fine.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

No. It really is just the bright pixels that burn in. You might be thinking of the situation when you have a black image on white background. That burns in, but not because black image burns in, but because the bright background does. The contrast between burnt in and not is what you see.

If you have a moving image everywhere, and a static black image over it, there will be no burn-in. This seems to be the case with the radar, so you should be fine.

What I'm talking about is when I have a blue image on the screen for a while then switch to a white image, there is a yellow after image where the blue image was. It fades after a few hours of off-time or longer if I change the screen to a constantly moving image. I've had it stay on screen after 10+ hours of off-time but it still eventually fades with time. Is this not a form of burn-in?

It is burn in, but again, only the bright pixels burn in. When you have a blue image being displayed, only the blue pixels are on. They burn in, while the green and red pixels remain unaffected. If you now switch to white image, the blue pixels are not as bright due to burn in, but the red and green pixels are just fine. Green+red gives you yellow, which is what you see.

And that is entirely consistent with what I said. Only the bright pixels burn in. If it's just one color, that's all the same. Black image cannot burn in, because all of the pixels in it are off.

Wouldn't have the problem if we could stick with good old analog CRTs, CRTs even in front projectors are the way to go, don'tcha know??

DTV is for the birds (they're playing a DTV info ad behind me as I type this....every hour, on the hour it seems!) R.I.P. orly.gif