Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,964 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Ray Carter

Other Protagonists?

Ray Carter

Do you think there is anyone else from GTA Vice City who could have been a protagonist?

I mean, Why would R* choose someone who dies later?

I know all about the "It's pete vance, not Vic"

Vic Vance appears on the Crime Wall on the Vice City Website.. HE DIES. LIVE WITH IT.

Gonzalez?

He could have arrived in VC, worked with Diaz etc.. Eventually Met Cortez and became his Right Hand Man.. Maybe thinner though like what they did with Toni in LCS.

Phil Cassidy? he lives through the whole series up to GTAIII..

It can't be the other Bank Job Guys, cuz Hilary dies, and possibly Cam

What's your thoughts?

QwertyAAA
Do you think there is anyone else from GTA Vice City who could have been a protagonist?

I mean, Why would R* choose someone who dies later?

I know all about the "It's pete vance, not Vic"

Vic Vance appears on the Crime Wall on the Vice City Website.. HE DIES. LIVE WITH IT.

Gonzalez?

He could have arrived in VC, worked with Diaz etc.. Eventually Met Cortez and became his Right Hand Man.. Maybe thinner though like what they did with Toni in LCS.

Phil Cassidy? he lives through the whole series up to GTAIII..

It can't be the other Bank Job Guys, cuz Hilary dies, and possibly Cam

What's your thoughts?

Either Vic or Pete dies. Live with it.

No official confirmation from R* = no proof.

You see, Pedro Garcia could be the guy you're stealing the weapons from. But it could also be somebody else.

Just stop it OK? Stop pushing your point.

the_don94

Hey, how about Big Mitch Baker? biggrin.gif

I would have loved to play him.

QwertyAAA
Hey, how about Big Mitch Baker? biggrin.gif

I would have loved to play him.

Ahh, yes. I agree.

saintdave

Why wouldn’t they choose someone who dies? It has no relevance to the game (VCS) because it’s a sequel, just because you may know their fate doesn’t affect the way you play or what you do.

buzbegone

I thought that you might play as Lance or Diaz

boothy

i really think the guy who got killed in vc was definitly vic, and not pete, cuz he was bald, just like vic

Flesh-n-Bone

I guess it's Pete and hope for it, because why would you play with someone who dies later in the story? And Vic sweared to never take drugs again after the end.

And to the one who said Lance and Diaz. It's even worse, because YOU kill them in VC and they are backstabber's and no one would play with an antagonist, at least Vic is innocent killed.

Claude GTA3
I guess it's Pete and hope for it, because why would you play with someone who dies later in the story? And Vic sweared to never take drugs again after the end.

And to the one who said Lance and Diaz. It's even worse, because YOU kill them in VC and they are backstabber's and no one would play with an antagonist, at least Vic is innocent killed.

You guys make me laugh...Here's some proof from the official site.

user posted image

It's not Pete, it's Vic, and he's is dead! Deal with it.

Hodgey.

user posted image

Good enough evidence for me.

Flesh-n-Bone

user posted image

LOL Why did you quote me of all these people round here. Whatever, I'm just curious on why you would play with a dead character.

tuareg

I always found the whole Vic thing odd.

But it's understandable if you take it as something new from R*, since no other protanogists have died (yet). It gives a slight twist to gta.

MrMagic50

user posted image

Good enough evidence for me.

it says right there under Vic Vance that there are only two members of the vance crime family

Claude GTA3

Duh, Lance and Vic!

Just...forget it, I bring solid proof and people still question this?!

The nubility level here is huge.

Claude GTA3 walks away

LittlePig

I really didn't like the choice, that Rockstar made for a protagonist in VCS. He looked tough, cool and all, but when I heard he was the guy they kill in the botched deal at the intro from VC, I was dissapointed. That guy hardly walked, he talked and acted like a complete retard. He didn't look even a bit like the VCS Vic Lance. I would be OK with that if he was just old, but that thing happened two years later. But maybe that was R*'s only choice. Every protagonist reaches the top in the end of the game. Ricardo Diaz doesn't look like a guy who would kill a lot and go through hell. Gonzales too. Phill Cassidy hasn't been on the top. Nobody would take Umberto Robina and Lance Vance serious. The Mendez Brothers would be awesome, especially Diego. But no protagonist ends up being a bad guy. Thats why Sgt. Jerry Martinez can't make it, plus he's sticking to the army. Marty Williams the redneck is a joke. Bryan Forbes is from the DEA. Colonel Cortez is more of a soft guy and doesn't look like a man who fighted his way to the top. Other jokes, women and musicians dont't make it. And the protagonist needs to be connected to VC, just as how LCS's protagonist was connected to GTA3. Now the VC characters. Ken Rosenberg is a coward-lawyer, Big Mitch Baker hasn't got the look of a protagonist and hasn't achieved anything in VC. Leo Teal is a tough hitman, but he's a damn cheff in VC. Hillary King is a retard, Cam Jones is a kleptomaniac and he's more of a comedy character. I think good choices would be the Mendez brothers, but they aren't connected to VC. Maybe Mr. Black? We don't even see him, but we didn't know anything about Vic in VC too.

Edited by LittlePig

Flesh-n-Bone

The Mendez Brothers are antagonists, don't forget about it.

Typhus

*Sorry for the bump, but I was going to make this exact thread but I figured as it already existed I'd just add to this one*

Looking back, Vic just doesn't work as a main character. And his whole story just makes Lance less interesting by association. In Vice City, Lance's story was so well told and wrapped up so well we didn't really need to know anything else about him. But after his appearance in Vice City Stories it really feels like they butchered his character in order to portray him as the whiny little brother. Vic himself is little better, he has no real personality, and his entire moral dilemma about his criminal lifestyle feels like a desperate attempt to tell a more heartfelt story - which just falls completely flat, because all the characters are completely unlikable.

The tone never matched up. So nothing in the game ever felt quite right story wise. It also doesn't help that all the antagonists are terrible. Some of the absolute worst in the series. Not a single interesting character among them. So yeah, not only do I think they should have went with another protagonist, I think they should have went with an entirely different story.

But why would have worked instead of Vic? Well, the best thing about a prequel is how it can make for circular storytelling. So, for my money, I'd have loved to see Leo Teal as the main character. He wouldn't have been a big drug baron like Tommy. By the time 1986 rolls around he's still working as a freelance assassin. But we could learn more about him, about Mr. Black who was his main contact in Vice City, we could have used the game to explain why the city is how it is in Vice City, like having Leo be responsible for the concrete boots guy or the one who was responsible for the Haitians and Cubans hating each other. So, less like Tommy and more like Fido, a gun-for-hire pitting everyone against each other for his own profit.

Hmmm nice bike

*Sorry for the bump, but I was going to make this exact thread but I figured as it already existed I'd just add to this one*

But why would have worked instead of Vic? Well, the best thing about a prequel is how it can make for circular storytelling. So, for my money, I'd have loved to see Leo Teal as the main character. He wouldn't have been a big drug baron like Tommy. By the time 1986 rolls around he's still working as a freelance assassin. But we could learn more about him, about Mr. Black who was his main contact in Vice City, we could have used the game to explain why the city is how it is in Vice City, like having Leo be responsible for the concrete boots guy or the one who was responsible for the Haitians and Cubans hating each other. So, less like Tommy and more like Fido, a gun-for-hire pitting everyone against each other for his own profit.

Damn, almost 10 years later, too! Interesting idea for Leo Teal as a Claude-style hitman/gun-for-hire instead of trying to work his way up to the top like Tommy and CJ in previous games. Teal was actually meant to appear in VCS as a cook at a hot dog stand giving out missions, but he was cut from the game. I kind of wish he wasn't since a little more backstory on him would have been cool. Also, going back to what the guy who started the topic said, Phil Cassidy as a protagonist probably would have been like Trevor in V, and I really didn't like Trevor, but if Cassidy was a well-written protagonist and not inconsistent then it'd probably work.

Overall, I still really liked VCS, but I did think it was kind of weird how much Vic changed in two years. He looked different, gained a lot of weight after being pretty much ripped, somehow got a limp, and his voice and accent even changed! It would have made a lot more sense if they just retconned that being Vic and changed that guy to their brother Pete. Since Vic wasn't even mentioned anywhere as being Lance's brother in the original VC besides a note on the official website, it would have been easy to do (and it would have made Lance look like an even bigger piece of sh*t, taking advantage of his sick brother after the other one leaves the business).