17" Widescreen or 19" Normalscreen

Loman

I have enough money to buy either of these two monitors:

19" 700:1 Contrast Ratio 5ms Response Time

17" 500:1 Contrast Ratio 8ms response Time

I am just wondering which you guys think is best? I am currently using a 17" CRT monitor (with a purple tint from a broken electron gun), so either of those will be better. I am leaning heavily toward the 19" simply because it is larger, and I'm used to non-widescreen, but would the 17" offer any advantages?

The 17 would be better if you watch lots of movies. It might also help in video games as you'd have a wider view angle... wouldn't know much else.

It's a hard decision, although I'm so used to wide screens now I'd probably go with the 17".

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

As Picolini said, yes the 17 would be better if you watch lots of movies and really really want that widescreen feel and look that, well a widescreen monitor would give you.

However the 19 has a faster response time which is better for video/movies and games. It also has a higher contrast ratio which mean between the 2, the 19 will have deeper black level than the 17...so if you're working with graphics/photo editors then the 19 would be better between those 2.

If you were able to wait then I would say wait until you get some more money up and get at least a 22" ws and even though you're use to non-ws with the 22" ws or better you'll start to wonder why you didn't get a ws sooner, I know I did...but then I remembered it was because I was broke.

As the problem with your current monitor; I've been there. I had the blue go out on mine...sounds like the green is out on yours.

I've got a TV connected to my PC for watching movies (non-HD ones, anyway), so the monitor will be mostly for photoshopping/gaming. If I get the 19" monitor it will be the same size as my TV, so I might watch more movies on it... and the 17" would probably look way better than my TV, too. I have until friday to decide, but the 19" is in the lead. biggrin.gif

Price will be a factor, I hope the 19" stays cheap (and doesn't sell out), because I saw one for $159 that went to $175 a few hours later. I am also looking at a 20" WS for $189 that might be worth a few days of waiting.

Since I've already made a topic, I might as well ask another question that doesn't merit a new one. The first question is still open, though biggrin.gif

I ordered a new processor for my PC, I should be getting it tomorrow. It is the E2200 2.2Ghz Pentium Dual Core. Is it a significant upgrade over my current 3.33Ghz Celeron D?

I ordered a new processor for my PC, I should be getting it tomorrow. It is the E2200 2.2Ghz Pentium Dual Core. Is it a significant upgrade over my current 3.33Ghz Celeron D?

Don't completely quote me on this but you should see a performance improvement, mostly because one is single core and the other is dual core.

You would see a huge improvement if the dual core was closer to 3Ghz.

BTW there is an openbox ViewSonic for $169 and it's a 21" ws.

Keep in mind that with newegg openbox means exactly as it sounds. Someone ordered it and then sent it back for whatever reason. Usually unused and with no problems. I would call their support number and ask directly as to what their "open box" term means.

# What is a open box item? Does Newegg.com open box items or does the original manufacturer?

Open Box items have been opened and touched and/or returned. Because they originate from different situations, they may or may not include accessories, documentation or retail packaging. Refurbishment is done by the manufacturer. Open Box products are warranted for only 15 days. We recommend that you try out your open box product immediately after receiving it.

Just something to keep in mind

As for that 20" ws you were talking about, I'm guessing this one. Be ready to buy a DVI cable, although I honestly can't see too much of a difference between DVI and VGA and I have 2 monitors of the exact same brand and model, one using DVI and the other VGA and are side by side.

However from what I've seen of a few Sceptre monitors you can connect 2 PCs to the one monitor, one of DVI the other on VGA and there is a button on the monitor to switch between the 2 PCs. Nice feature...for those that need it.

Edited by Wolf68k

Tornado Rex

I'll put it this way. Once I went widescreen I could never go back.

Also, I have a Sceptre and I love it. I have my PS3 hooked up to it along with my computer. One button switching between the two wins. Some people have complained about faulty power supplies on them, but thus far I haven't had any problems and mine is on damn near 24/7. If you have an Office Max around you and don't want to deal with the newegg open box thing keep an eye on their weekly ad. They always throw their Sceptre's on sale

I agree with Wolf, there isn't a noticeable difference between DVI and VGA so don't worry about getting a cable.

I'll put it this way. Once I went widescreen I could never go back.

Let me ditto this - So much more practical workspace - even for video editing.

I used to use two CRTs, now I just use one 22'' widescreen, and use my TV in the living room as my extended desktop. Much better.

Edited by Otter

Thanks for all of the advice, I just finished placing my order for a 19" Widescreen so I get the best of both monitors I posted before smile.gif

It was $167 with free shipping, and the first ones were ~$163 when shipping was added, so I think this was a smart move biggrin.gif

I would've gone for the open box one, but I'm not much of a risk taker when it comes to ordering stuff. I couldn't find it, either, they may have sold it already.

You would see a huge improvement if the dual core was closer to 3Ghz.

I've read online that you can easily overclock the processor to 3Ghz, I'll probably give it a try. I want to get a new CPU cooler first, though, I'll be using the stock cooler for a while.

If I was getting a new monitor, I would ONLY get a widescreen, I don't like the way they look, or the resolutions they offer. My current monitor is a 15", which is slightly wider than it is tall. I am looking to get a 19" widescreen icon14.gif

If it's not too late, return the processor in favor of the e6600. I have mine clocked to 3.6Ghtz.

If it's not too late, return the processor in favor of the e6600. I have mine clocked to 3.6Ghtz.

The one he bought was $65, where as a Q6600 is $220 tounge.gif

I don't think he's got that much extra cash laying around. If you do, then get the Q6600.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Yes, I'm very poor cryani.gif I would love to have that processor, but it's out of my league right now

I'm also either very stupid, or very unlucky, because it turns out that after 13 Days of *%@ waiting (I payed by snail mail Money Order) my motherboard doesn't support this Pentium Dual Core, only Pentium D icon13.gifangry.gif and after I found this out, I go to Gigabyte's website and see a CPU support list which says that the e2200 is not supported suicidal.gif I could have avoided the whole thing.

So, I've decided that over the next few weeks/months I'm going to build a second PC... I figure, my current one is not worth updating any more, since it has an AGP slot, and AGP graphics cards are all but extinct. It's actually a fairly decent PC, but it's still kinda... last-gen... AGP 7600 GT, DDR1 RAM, Celeron D, IDE HDDs... I have a 650W PSU, and 20X SATA Lightscribe DVD burner that I'll probably move to the new PC, though .

You know, now that I think about it, it's not that bad that it doesn't work, I mean, now I'm going to build a new PC. Just like the monitor... I was angry when my current one suddenly turned purple, but now that I have a much better one on the way, it was actually a great thing to happen. biggrin.gif

Edited by Loman

Yeh, I keep upgrading my computers for a couple of years, and then build or buy a new one. My current computer has all the RAM slots filled, so I dont know what I will do when I want more than 2GB, I suppose Ill have to swap 512's for 1GB's.

Yeh, I keep upgrading my computers for a couple of years, and then build or buy a new one. My current computer has all the RAM slots filled, so I dont know what I will do when I want more than 2GB, I suppose Ill have to swap 512's for 1GB's.

As well as install a 64bit OS and get a 64-bit processor if you want to take advantage of over 3GB.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

If it's not too late, return the processor in favor of the e6600.  I have mine clocked to 3.6Ghtz.

The one he bought was $65, where as a Q6600 is $220 tounge.gif

I don't think he's got that much extra cash laying around. If you do, then get the Q6600.

Nonono, you misread me. E6600.

Edit doesn't matter, cuz it goes for $230, too. Haha.

Edited by Otter

As well as install a 64bit OS and get a 64-bit processor if you want to take advantage of over 3GB.

Yeh, my computer came with Vista Home Premium 32-bit, my friend has 4GB of RAM in his, and when he had Vista Home Premium SP0 it said it was 3.2GB, but now he has SP1 it says 4GB, so I may be alright with 32-bit and 4GB.

Yeh, my computer came with Vista Home Premium 32-bit, my friend has 4GB of RAM in his, and when he had Vista Home Premium SP0 it said it was 3.2GB, but now he has SP1 it says 4GB, so I may be alright with 32-bit and 4GB.

I don't know if there's a difference between showing how much RAM you actually have and being able to use it. Still, if you bought that copy of Windows Vista, you can order the 64bits version for free. I mean, at least I could, only paid for shipping. Check the website to see if you can do that just in case...