Changing SavGame Folder Location?

venom_69

Hi! Is there any chance of changing the location of the GTASA SaveGame Folder. If yes then how can i change it.

I think it is possible to modify the gta-sa.exe savegame path, why would you wan't to change it? I can't think of any reason

why would you wan't to change it? I can't think of any reason

There is one good reason. A while ago I read about someone who wanted the game to be portable.

With that I mean he wanted to put it on a memory stick so he could play on any pc.

With the hoodlum v1.0 US exe, you don't need to install SA to run it, but it still stores the savegames and set file in the usual locations.

Putting all those in the GTA dir would make the game truly portable.

So how do modify the location from my gta-sa.exe that does'nt sound easy. cry.gif

some days ago, i read a tutorial that was about changing save game path, but i forgot where was that, as i remeber i will give you the link, or any one know can tell you smile.gif

edited :

hehe, i found, Link

Edited by xmen

Wow. This is so great.

I'm making a portable version now.

But this doesn't truly make it portable. You still have to add a new registry key on the pc you're playing. To get rid of that, you have to edit code inside gta-sa.exe, so this is probably the easiest way, but not the best.

no registry key needed with v1.0 US hoodlum exe. I copied the game folder into a fresh XP install, and it worked flawlessly without installing the game.

I was refering to the tutorial xmen linked. Changing the string "Personal" into something else just changes the name of the registry key SA is looking for to determine the personal folders (where GTA user files directory is stored). The key "Personal" is avaiable on a fresh install. But if you use the tutorial, you HAVE to add a new registry key, which defies the purpose of beeing portable.

If you copied SA to a fresh XP, where did your save folder go? I assume you copied it into your user files directory. That's where SA is looking at by default. Truly portable would mean that the save folder is in the GTA root directory. But that can't not be done by the way described in that tutorial.

Well, actually opening gta_sa.exe created a new 'GTA San Andreas User Files' folder in my documents. Of course that didn't have any savegames in it, but if you could tell the game to put/read that folder inside the GTA directory itself, it would work in theory.

To change the code is very easy in this case, the process where it queries the registry is here: 0x744FF3

this gives us:

.text:00744FF3 push    offset ValueName              ; "Personal".text:00744FF8 push    eax                           ; hKey.text:00744FF9 mov     [esp+24h+cbData], 100h.text:00745001 call    ds:RegQueryValueExA.text:00745007 test    eax, eax.text:00745009 jnz     loc_745175

So we simply have to remove the Query code and jmp straight to the open file code, which contains the string "\\GTA San Andreas User Files", so if we skip straight to the opening of the file then it will just load the save games straight from gta's directory in that folder.

So this is the code that will do that:

BYTE jmpSave[] = { 0xEB, 0x36 };patch(0x744FF3,jmpSave);

Simple smile.gif, I'll create a DLL for you guys later to use in a portable port of the game.

WoW! Thanks Xmen and guys. Now all i have to do is test it. Actually i don't want to make it portable i'm running 2 copies of GTA-SA in my PC on WinXP. 1 is installed properly and other one is which i've copied it to the other drive and both are running absolutely fine. Now why i wanted to do that is because i have modded so many cars in game and saved on different locations by saving on all slots and my brother want to mod his gta sa in his style and want to play it from the start and want his save slots becuase there are'nt any left. smile.gif Thanks.

Edited by venom_69