PC vs PS3

aragond

No, I'm not trying a variant on the perrenial "PS3 vs Xbox360" argument, I want to know something. And, if you have nothing more intelligent to say other than a variant on "Liberty Cocks rool!" (eg; "PCs suk. X360 roolz") go away and leave us big boys to discuss something serious.

I've played every GTA since 2 on a PC. But I am sorely tempted to buy a PS3 simply because I cannot bear to wait beyond April 29. lol.gif There's also other games I would like to play and generally I look at the graphics from previews on the PS3 and say, repeatedly, "Woah" like a Neo.

So, why don't I: I cannot stand console controllers. IMHO, the mouse was a gift from God, so why not use it? And I find a keyboard is so much more intuitive for game-playing. Then again, as I said, I played the ORIGINAL Loderunner on Apple ][.

So, question: Has ANYONE tried or succeeded in getting their PS3 to work with a mouse in game mode?

Second question: I'm not gonna comment on the Xbox, but I've heard lots and lots and lots about the PS3 and all those 12,000 CPUs and graphics processors, such as how there's s'posedly one dedicated purely to fire animation, another to water and so on. No clue whether IV uses this, but by question is... if this is true, will PCs even be powerful enough to handle GTA IV?

I know, prolly a n00b question seeing as the Xbox is nothing more than a glorified, and scaled-down PC, so why not, but I mean the game is coming out on a blue-ray disc, so are we PC users gonna be disc-swapping?

For a start, the xbox doesn't have the ability to use a mouse.

The Mouse is possible to use with the PS3, but no games as of yet have been made to support it.

Sorry if that's not much help, not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing, just trying to help out smile.gif

Edited by Niall_S

There are gaming mice (or mouses, I'm not sure what the plural for a computer mouse is) for the PS3 however they're all pretty poor, or so I hear. I've never used one myself but I can imagine they're crap.

Yeah, you'd be best off getting used to the Pad. It's real simple smile.gif

But i am with you on the Keyboard and Mouse feeling best method.

007 RoadRunner

If you can use a keyboard+mouse for GTA IV on the PS3 it's not completely supported.

PC's are more powerfull then the PS3. And you don't need a monster PC to beat a PS3, a midrange computer these days can also accomplish that.

I'd advise you to wait. Usually the anouncement for the PC will be done at about 1 month after the console release. You can surely buy a console to go and play GTA IV but in the end you could regret doing so.

Eight Legged Freak

I think this topic that I started not too long ago should answer a few questions and provide some (pricey/rare) solutions.

My friend has been using a mouse and keyboard to play Unreal Tournament 3 on his PS3 so I guess you can.

He says it even has a filter when searching for servers so you can set it to mouse and keyboard only or controller only so that no one has an unfair advantage.

[MenaceMovies]

What? You would atleast need £400 worth of hardware for your PC to make it be able to run games at the PS3's standards.

There are keyboards and mice, and the games which support them will be coming soon. I, mysefl don't know what the gaming experience is like when using a mouse and keyboard on the PS3 because I've never tried it. You'll just have to wait and see I'm affriad.

//MenaceMovies

Eight Legged Freak
' date='Mar 30 2008, 20:00'] What? You would atleast need £400 worth of hardware for your PC to make it be able to run games at the PS3's standards.

I could put together a PC with the same specs as the PS3 for about 200-300 bucks. That's like 150 pounds.

,Mar 30 2008, 20:00] What? You would atleast need £400 worth of hardware for your PC to make it be able to run games at the PS3's standards.

I could put together a PC with the same specs as the PS3 for about 200-300 bucks. That's like 150 pounds.

Or...

user posted image

There is only mouse and keyboard support for PS3 games where the developers have made it an option.

There is only one game that I know of, which has this access and that is UT3 (Unreal Tournament 3).

There is a PS3 modding community I came across who of which were able to adapt a mouse and keyboard for R:FOM (Resistance: Fall of Man). happy.gif

Edited by Bob_Marley

[MenaceMovies]

Whoa, what's your contact details I'm interested?! Over here they sell those sort of PC's for like $800 wow.gif

//MenaceMovies

Eight Legged Freak
,Mar 30 2008, 20:00] What? You would atleast need £400 worth of hardware for your PC to make it be able to run games at the PS3's standards.

Or...

user posted image

That craps all over the PS3 though. tounge.gif

Hell, the PS3 only has 256MBs of RAM.

No, I'm not trying a variant on the perrenial "PS3 vs Xbox360" argument, I want to know something. And, if you have nothing more intelligent to say other than a variant on "Liberty Cocks rool!" (eg; "PCs suk. X360 roolz") go away and leave us big boys to discuss something serious.

I've played every GTA since 2 on a PC. But I am sorely tempted to buy a PS3 simply because I cannot bear to wait beyond April 29. lol.gif There's also other games I would like to play and generally I look at the graphics from previews on the PS3 and say, repeatedly, "Woah" like a Neo.

So, why don't I: I cannot stand console controllers. IMHO, the mouse was a gift from God, so why not use it? And I find a keyboard is so much more intuitive for game-playing. Then again, as I said, I played the ORIGINAL Loderunner on Apple ][.

So, question: Has ANYONE tried or succeeded in getting their PS3 to work with a mouse in game mode?

Second question: I'm not gonna comment on the Xbox, but I've heard lots and lots and lots about the PS3 and all those 12,000 CPUs and graphics processors, such as how there's s'posedly one dedicated purely to fire animation, another to water and so on. No clue whether IV uses this, but by question is... if this is true, will PCs even be powerful enough to handle GTA IV?

I know, prolly a n00b question seeing as the Xbox is nothing more than a glorified, and scaled-down PC, so why not, but I mean the game is coming out on a blue-ray disc, so are we PC users gonna be disc-swapping?

One, the PC and the PS3 are not on some higher plane of existance than the 360.

It's a lot more like the PC is on a higher plan of existance than the PS3 and 360.

The 360 and PS3 are VERY similar. Almost too similar to distunguish.

And no, the PS3 doesn't have 12000 cores, each dedicated to a different process (ie: water, milk, diet lemon pepsi etc...) It has seven cores, the 360 has 3. But one PS3 core is not as good as 1 360 core.

ie: Tink of it like this. Get a block of cheese.

Divide it up as many times as you like, eg-3 times and you get the 360's core, divide it 7 times and you get PS3's core. The added up outcome of cheese is always the same. (corny analogy i know.)

A PS3 IS A MILLION TIMES WORSE THAN A GOOD PC.

A CHEEPO MIDDLE CLASS PC IS BETTER THAN A PS3

AN OLD PC (ABOUT 3 YEARS) IS AS GOOD AS A PS3.

Consoles are made for affordablility, not performance.

PC MASTER RACE RULES ALL!!!!

Sorry, it was a n00b question kinda. You could of found this out through Google or a similar site.

Flesh-n-Bone

PC most definitely... GTA is a game made for PC IMO, it's much easier on it with mouse+keyboard than a few crappy buttons that you have to use for hundreds of things on PC you can move the camera how you want with a mouse while in PS it's not available.

The Mouse is possible to use with the PS3, but no games as of yet have been made to support it.

Sorry if that's not much help, not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing, just trying to help out smile.gif

you can buy a USB thingy so you can plug a keyboard n mouse in.

anyways, seriously get a 360 instead. in multiple previews they've said it look better and runs smoother on the 360 version (i know the ps3 version is behind but still) AND 360 gets exclusive content. you are better off with a 360 trust me.

Theres these things called mouse adaptors, and theres millions of them

Theres these things called mouse adaptors, and theres millions of them

As usual, you have to buy more cr*p for it to work.. :\

Or...

user posted image

That craps all over the PS3 though. tounge.gif

Hell, the PS3 only has 256MBs of RAM.

Well lets build a pc with ALMOST the same specifications as the ps3

There are no 8 core cpus for the pc so im using 2 intel quadcore cpus at 3.0 ghz on a socket 771 mainboard with 2 cpu slots.

A 80 gig hdd

A Nvdia 7900 graphics card

Blu-ray drive

Prices

Dual cpu mainboard Asus mainboard : 261 €

Quadcore Intel Xeon E5450 3.00GHz 725€ X2=1450€

80GB MAXTOR hdd 33€

XFX 7900 GS 133.50€

Aopen Blu ray drive 137 €

TOTAL PRICE: €2014.50

Yes i know its bull sh*t what i have said and i know that this pc will outperform the ps3, but its just to give you and idea how powerfull the ps3 and how cheap it is

You can use a mouse and keyboard for a number of games on PS3, They're releasing newer games with the option to use Mouse and Keyboard. You can install Operating Systems on PS3 too =\ Which makes it more like a pc.

Eight Legged Freak

That is way beyond the PS3's specs. The clock speeds for those CPUs isn't even commercially viable to even run a computer. Its like the same speed as a GeForce 6 series GPU. Not to mention the equivalent power for video rendering, since my old 6800GS could match what the PS3 does no questions asked.

You can't compare PS3 cpu against PC cpu, in many cases the PS3 cpu is as slow as a Pentium 1 cpu in very few cases it might be faster than PC cpu, but in overall PC cpu is better

the ps3 was my first Sony console, i played on the ps2 at my friend, once every 2 weeks or so,

when i got my ps3 i got used to the pad in about... 1-2 days, its hell easy, trust me, you'll get used to

CoCo Iz MaD FoR GTAIV !!

Im on my PS3 right now writing this message with my Bluetooth Keyboard, never have any problems. Only thing is the latest Firmware Update 2.20 I downloaded still has not came with a Flash viewing update! Which means I cannot view the official GTAIV website, ah well, all in good time eh......

Im on my PS3 right now writing this message with my Bluetooth Keyboard, never have any problems. Only thing is the latest Firmware Update 2.20 I downloaded still has not came with a Flash viewing update! Which means I cannot view the official GTAIV website, ah well, all in good time eh......

Yeah, i get that too.. Hope it's fixed soon. smile.gif

It's better than spending thousands of dollars to upgrade your PC just to play a decent next-gen game.

You can't compare PS3 cpu against PC cpu, in many cases the PS3 cpu is as slow as a Pentium 1 cpu in very few cases it might be faster than PC cpu, but in overall PC cpu is better

Even the PS2 and original xBox were around 700Mhz clock speeds, the Pentium 1 is not, much slower at 233 Mhz

The Cell was co developed by IBM, a legend in PC knowledge, they know their Ps and Qs.

The GPU of the PS3 is comparable to 6000 or 7000 series Nvidia IIRC

Even the PS2 and original xBox were around 700Mhz clock speeds, the Pentium 1 is not, much slower at 233 Mhz

The Cell was co developed by IBM, a legend in PC knowledge, they know their Ps and Qs.

The GPU of the PS3 is comparable to 6000 or 7000 series Nvidia IIRC

I said "in many cases" wich means that in some areas it's just as slow as P1

Actually, Unreal Tournament supports USB mouse and keyboard on the PS3. Its the only game that does so far, though.

user posted image