Looking For Professional Camera

Berkley

I currently own this little sh*t model Olympus M700.

user posted image

basically, my problem is that it sometimes makes noise on pictures and I don't like that. For example, at night. Everytime I take a shot at night it gives noise. Either to find a solution how to get rid of it (which i don't know) or buy new camera. I take the 2nd option as the matter of fact, I want new professional camera. Atm I have put on my list these:

user posted image

Pentax K100D Super

user posted image

Canon S3IS

user posted image

Olympus E-500 digital SLR

So which ones the real thing and professional? Or one of the 3 above is good? Please tell me. smile.gif

I can only really comment about Canon, so we need a Nikon user here too! Those are the best i'd say. I have a 350D/Rebel XT. Either that or the next one up, the 400D/XTi would be a great choice as it is an entry level SLR. And ive pulled off some great photos with it. Ive had it for nearly 2 years now and its been fantastic.

Infact, heres what I had about a year ago. Ive added more since then.

user posted image

But without the larger Lens, its a great starter kit.

Some reviews here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews...ra-Reviews.aspx

Jonny_Tightlips

Hell No, Is that the IS version, the f2.8 version or the regular cheaper one of the Canon 70-200mm?

Also, Berkley, try lowering the ISO if you want less noise. Make it as low of a number as possible, though this means you'll have much darker photos, but if you can change the exposure time, it's worth it.

...besides that I ain't sayin nuthin.

Awesome HN! But how do I change the ISO, I still can't get it, any help? sneaky2.gif

It doesn't allow me to change it angry.gif

Edited by Berkley

or the regular cheaper one of the Canon 70-200mm?

Cheaper yes, but not cheap! lol. Was £400 when I bought it. wow.gif

@Berk, you in M mode, atleast? tounge.gif

Edited by Hell No..

Hey Berkley. That Olympus SLR is looking good, but if you're looking to start out with a point and shoot and work your way up, then that Canon Powershot S3 IS wouldn't be a bad idea. It's easy on your money and its a great camera. I've had it for a good year now, and I'd say I'm about ready for an SLR, but gotta get the money.

Happy shopping. biggrin.gif

ILovePolarBears
I can only really comment about Canon, so we need a Nikon user here too! Those are the best i'd say. I have a 350D/Rebel XT. Either that or the next one up, the 400D/XTi would be a great choice as it is an entry level SLR. And ive pulled off some great photos with it. Ive had it for nearly 2 years now and its been fantastic.

Infact, heres what I had about a year ago. Ive added more since then.

The Rebel XT, or one of the newer Rebel models, is a good choice for a first digital SLR. One thing to keep in mind when buying glass is that Canon has not committed to the the EF-S line of lenses, and these lenses currently only work on their 1.6x bodies. So if you plan to stick with photography and move up to a full frame digital SLR in the future, invest in EF lenses. This way, they'll work with the current camera (though effectively at 1.6x the focal lengths) as well as a full frame body if you upgrade down the road.

@Berk, you in M mode, atleast? tounge.gif

What's M mode? I tried to change the options a bit but still it doesnt allow me to change ISO.

I've got a Canon Rebel XT (350D) as well, and I love it. It's perfect for an entry level SLR, imo. Not too many options, but it allows a full manual mode, but also has some nice auto settings.

The only thing holding it back that I've found would be it's a little low on MP's, being at 8.1 (I believe). It's still very nice, far from bad, but I've found some times wishing I had a few more.

Really, unless you get into heavy photography I'd say it's all you need. Maybe a 400D (Rebel XTi) which has 10MP's, a larger screen on the back (I think 2.3" up from 1.8" or so), and probably some other smaller features. Then there's the new 450D, Rebel XSi, which is 12MP's and probably has a bigger screen on the back, better battery life, and a few more features. I believe the three go for around $450, $600, $850, respectively. The prices may be off by $50 or so on each there, haven't checked in a while. As you can see, you'll pay near double for the XSi over the XT, so it depends on what you want.

I got my Rebel XT for $500, then a 2GB card for $20 (for my CF II, don't get a CF III, they're pointless for an XT. Might be useful on the XTi or XSi, it depends on read/write speeds). With a tripod and case on top of that I spent about $600 total. Since then I've bought a Tamron 75-300mm lens which came bundled with a Tamron 28-70mm lens. They're both ok, for $120 it's what I expected. Totally decent for some hobbyist like me.

The standard 18-55mm lens that comes with the Rebel XT, and XTi (not sure about the XSi) is an excellent lens, imo. I can't compare it to much else, as I've only got 2 other low end lenses, so that doesn't help. But it does focus fast, enough for me at least. Colors are quite decent, and the range is good for most pictures. I did need a stronger zoom, that's why I got the 75-300mm lens. I do plan on getting a lens that's something around the range of 20-300mm though, because switching out lenses can be annoying and allow dust and dirt to get onto the sensor and inside the lens itself, which is definitely not good.

Another cheaper, entry level SLR is the Nikon D40, but I would go with the XT over it for several reason, which I've explained a bunch of time tounge.gif

For starts, it doesn't have a built in autofocus (AF) motor. While it saves weight and cost of the camera itself (it's about $50 less than an XT), it means lenses will have to have AF motors built in. That means they're more expensive and heavier. If you don't get them with AF motors built in, well then you've gotta focus every time on your own! That'd be annoying in plenty of situations.

Then there's MP's, it's only 6. While 6MP's is respectable, for $50 more, on top of the camera itself have a built in AF motor, you also get 2 more MP's on the XT.

I think I had another reason but I can't recall...

Picolini goes to collect payment for advertising for Canon

tounge.gif

edit: M mode = Manual mode. It should allow you to change lots of settings, ISO is a basic one they usually allow you to change. In normal lighting it should be around 100-400.

The M could also mean Macro setting, which is for close ups. But it most likely means manual mode.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

So if you plan to stick with photography and move up to a full frame digital SLR in the future, invest in EF lenses.

My one is an EF Lens, an EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens to be exact. Or am I missing your point?

I think he was just quoting you as correct Hell No..., and giving those tips to the OP wink.gif

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image