Grand Theft Auto IV to be Banned?

Smalljob

SexyManMMMM

i dont think they have any idea how many refunds that would cause. atleast it might save them from EA

My Custom GTA: IV box 360-

user posted imageuser posted image

Skins FAIL

I don't feel it will be banned. It's liek the situation with Manunt 2, England banned it straight away because of the violence however recently Rockstar won the battle for it and it can now be bought in the UK.

Although the hidden scenes in GTA SA made a lot of debate about it nothing else was really said, I wouldn't worry too much.

user posted image

Someone want to quote it and put it here?

It's probobly some bullsh*t by the way.

If one wanted to ban a game like GTA IV we would of known it waaaaaaayyy before 5 weeks.... Look at Bully (or Canis Canem edit or something)

PacificCircle

What impact could this morning’s publication of Dr Tanya Byron’s review on video games ratings have on the release of Grand Theft Auto IV (GTA IV)?

The study recommends that video games should have cinema style ratings and this should be a statutory requirement instead of the voluntary code currently in place.  This could mean big changes in what games are available and whether they can even make it into the shops without having large parts of the gameplay experience cut from the final release (as happens with films).

Rockstar Games, the developer of the GTA series and other popular games including the Manhunt series, is well known for releasing games containing violent gameplay and graphics.  As well as the violence there are often sexual references in the games (remember the controversy over the hidden sex scenes in GTA San Andreas).  GTA IV is going to be no different to the others in that respect - just more interactive gameplay and better graphics.  If anything it looks like it will be more like a film that you control.  That probably means more interactive violence!

Now obviously these are just games and it is already fairly obvious that they are aimed at adults.  But how will a fifty-something at the BBFC see it when they are trying to classify it?  Especially now the workload of the BBFC will be increased and they will not have time to review anything properly.

My worry is that GTA IV will get banned or have to be seriously cut before we see the release at the end of April.

Mwhaha devil.gif

Edited by PacificCircle
user posted image

What impact could this morning’s publication of Dr Tanya Byron’s review on video games ratings have on the release of Grand Theft Auto IV (GTA IV)?

The study recommends that video games should have cinema style ratings and this should be a statutory requirement instead of the voluntary code currently in place.  This could mean big changes in what games are available and whether they can even make it into the shops without having large parts of the gameplay experience cut from the final release (as happens with films).

Rockstar Games, the developer of the GTA series and other popular games including the Manhunt series, is well known for releasing games containing violent gameplay and graphics.  As well as the violence there are often sexual references in the games (remember the controversy over the hidden sex scenes in GTA San Andreas).  GTA IV is going to be no different to the others in that respect - just more interactive gameplay and better graphics.  If anything it looks like it will be more like a film that you control.  That probably means more interactive violence!

Now obviously these are just games and it is already fairly obvious that they are aimed at adults.  But how will a fifty-something at the BBFC see it when they are trying to classify it?  Especially now the workload of the BBFC will be increased and they will not have time to review anything properly.

My worry is that GTA IV will get banned or have to be seriously cut before we see the release at the end of April.

What do you think?

EDIT: crap... beaten to it. facedesk.gif

I like how he says "...my worry is...", as in his opinion about it is. There's no way, with movies like Saw, and Hostel that GTA would possibly be banned with a movie style rating system.

That doesn't really make sense. Don't films get away with more than games? So how would classifying them like films mean they would be cut more?

Though, I could have got this completely wrong confused.gif

I read the article and some of the comments. My favorite:

i think ur stirring up the cauldron unnecessary in the hope your opinion catches on like a forest fire

I couldn't agree more.

Won't be banned, especially not before you buy it.

Don't worry. There are way worse games out there than GTA IV.

If your english we have nothin o worry about as theyve classified games for years, and if its to violent its a 18 end of they never ban films or videos here and if they do its a very rare rare rae case.

If your english we have nothin o worry about as theyve classified games for years, and if its to violent its a 18 end of they never ban films or videos here and if they do its a very rare rare rae case.

I think we have more to worry about, manhunt 2 spring to mind?

steelsmokin07

Ha, its called the entire industry would be calling their lobbiest to call in favors to senators and representitives so this would not happen. Video games is a multi-billion dollar industry, and a lot of those multi-billion dollar videogame companies has their hands in the pockets of probably a good number of elected officials, the even close banning of a video game would cause the industry into a uproar, in the U.S. congress would get involved, and stricter guidelines but no bannings to be in place. Because the whole industry knows if today one game gets banned, tomorrow its a hundred games all for one reason or another.

It's some bullsh*t by the way.

Fixed that for you.

Rockstar would not invest the amount of money that they do, on potentially the most anticipated video game to date, in light that it may be banned.

GTA might be banned, but it will be banned in spineless countries that don't know how to deal with the issue of entertainment violence. If people are actually concerned about the level of violence in a video game aimed strictly at adults, they should give their head a good shake and propose bans on violent R rated movies and music genres like death metal. I'm not suggesting either of those should be banned, but if some twat is going to post on their blog that GTA has a chance of being banned to the average consumer, there needs to be a discussion of violence in the entertainment industry as a whole.

There's an extremely important lesson to be learned here kids: Just because you read something on the internet, it does not make it credible. Most blogs are designed with hits in mind, so misleading or inaccurate blog postings should be treated as such. Unless you see news from a credible news source (aka not blogs), do not take it as bearing much weight.

This is good old fashioned American fear-mongering.

Hate to say it, but I completely agree. It is a classic case of fearing that which you do not know. If they were to ban the game, they are essentially saying that the adults of the U.S. are not mature or smart enough to be able to decide for ourselves whether or not we should play this game. That's ludicrous, totally.

The BBFC (tried to) ban Manhunt 2 because of constant sadism and a scenario that encouraged and rewarded the player for these acts. Although GTA 4 will have the potential for huge acts of violence, it takes place in a huge open gameworld that encourages many types of play. It will also feature a mature (though still hilarious) storyline and be sharply satirical, something that the BBFC will recognise.

The BBFC are nowhere near as draconian a body as they were say 10 years ago, though Manhunt 2 was an exception.

steelsmokin07

I'm telling you dude it would never happen. Money makes the world go round, and the Video Game industry luckly has plenty of it.

The BBFC (tried to) ban Manhunt 2 because of constant sadism and a scenario that encouraged and rewarded the player for these acts. Although GTA 4 will have the potential for huge acts of violence, it takes place in a huge open gameworld that encourages many types of play. It will also feature a mature (though still hilarious) storyline and be sharply satirical, something that the BBFC will recognise.

The BBFC are nowhere near as draconian a body as they were say 10 years ago, though Manhunt 2 was an exception.

I'm still worried the BBFC are going to reject this game. It's been rated M in the US but whats taking them so long to get it rated over here?

Even though Rockstar could launch a successful appeal in the event of the BBFC banning it....that could take up to another 8 months like Manhunt 2 and I really dont want to wait that long.

That's complete rubbish in my opinion.

As someone said the "50 something year old" at the BBFC knows a lot more about rating games and movies then whoever wrote this blog.

Plus they wont have 50 year old caucasians as the only people on the board, they hire people from a variety of ethnic backgrounds and ages in order to get opinions and ratings on things that will meet the over all communities expectations.

Plus games are rated more harshly than movies because the user has to actually perform the virtual act of killing someone rather than watching someone else commit the crime. Think about watching some one being stabbed and then stabbing someone on game on the Wii.

There's an extremely important lesson to be learned here kids: Just because you read something on the internet, it does not make it credible. Most blogs are designed with hits in mind, so misleading or inaccurate blog postings should be treated as such. Unless you see news from a credible news source (aka not blogs), do not take it as bearing much weight.

doesn't every normal person with at least a good conscience know that ....

might be me though sarcasm.gif

Yey you named 1 game out of how many? Yey thats right millions.

doesn't every normal person with at least a good conscience know that ....

might be me though sarcasm.gif

Unfortunately, apparently not, or else the story would have never been posted here and then taken seriously by half the people who commented on this thread.

It's scary, I could start a blog right now and start a somewhat believable rumor about whatever, and half the people who read it will believe it (especially if I link to some 'studies' that happen to correlate with my points).

Yey you named 1 game out of how many? Yey thats right millions.

The point is, it got banned in England, not America. So why would England not have to worry?

devil_spawn666
The BBFC (tried to) ban Manhunt 2 because of constant sadism and a scenario that encouraged and rewarded the player for these acts.  Although GTA 4 will have the potential for huge acts of violence, it takes place in a huge open gameworld that encourages many types of play.  It will also feature a mature (though still hilarious) storyline and be sharply satirical, something that the BBFC will recognise.

I'm still worried the BBFC are going to reject this game. It's been rated M in the US but whats taking them so long to get it rated over here?

Even though Rockstar could launch a successful appeal in the event of the BBFC banning it....that could take up to another 8 months like Manhunt 2 and I really dont want to wait that long.

you read my mind. i'm living on egg shells until i actually hear that gtaiv has been granted a bbfc classification. nobody ever seems to pick up on this. m for mature in america does not guarantee that we will see it in england.

i keep checking the bbfc website to find out if gtaiv has been submitted, as of yet still no.

sweating here...