Life on other planets

Digïtál £vîl

Is there life somewhere in the universe?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is there life somewhere in the universe?

• Yes; and we'll meet them some day.
    • Yes; but we won't ever meet them.
    • Yes; I've seen them.
    • Yes; prove: Watch Futurama.
    • No; we are all alone.
    • No; the universe was created 6000 years ago all revolving around us!
    • No; are you seriously suggesting there creatures as intelligent as us out there?
    • I don't know; I don't care.
    • I don't know; why are there so many options for a simple yes and no question?
    • I don't know; and if there were, what would it matter?
    • Option 0xB!

Digïtál £vîl

The debate has been around for years now. Probably ever since people realized we weren't the only planet out there. But in the last few years it seems we really have been putting more focus in our space programs. "Affordable" Public Space Tours are just around the corner, with Virgin Galactic stating that they plan to have their first trips leaving the planet by 2009. For a mere 200,000 grand you can book a flight. Guess that is better then paying $25 million to go up with the Russians. The International Space Station is scheduled for completion in 2010. Mars already almost seems like old news in the space news. And there seems to be a new race to the moon again within the next 20 years or so. Interesting times.

Just a little while ago, NASA released new information obtained about a planet 63 light years from here. What makes this news interesting is the fact that the Hubble telescope has sent back the first signs (ever) of organic molecules in a planetary atmosphere. Now this isn't life in itself, but it is the first in what will hopefully lead to many more discoveries like it.

Here are some links about it:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080321.html

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMTZ1N5NDF_index_0.html

I know that there must be some people out there who still believe the chances of life are slim to none. Even if scientific evidence will likely eventually stack up until one day you just can't deny it anymore.

So what is your opinion on it? Probable? Impossible? Or are some of you 100% sure of it?

----------------

I personally think that there has to be life out there. With the size of our universe, it just seems improbable that it wouldn't be out there. Now would this life be intelligent and able to communicate and process things the way humans do? (That is if you consider humans intelligent). That I don't know. I think it very well could happen, and I personally think that life happens in stages around the development of galaxies and solar systems. The perfect solar and environmental conditions are need but it is possible. And as our knowledge of other planets expands, we will likely learn that our current version of life is not as

I think if we do find life, we will most likely find primitive life somewhere. Any advanced life out there (advanced beyond ours) will most likely be the ones to reach us first. Unless there is some reason they don't search the stars (damn mysterious alien intelligence).

So, simple question I guess. What do you think?

note: if there is a current topic about this, point it out.

GodfatherITB

I think that in the infinite amount of space out there that somewhere there are living creatures. Maybe not exactly like us, but living nonetheless. I think it's unlikely that they are within a distance that we can reach at this stage in our knowledge of space exploration.

I was the biggest alien buff when I was younger. It always fascinated me, and still does to some degree.

This subject always makes my brain hurt, because the universe is pratically unlimited.

It's just flat-out mind boggling thinking that some other planet, in a different freakin' solar system than us, are probably wondering the same thing right now if there are any communicating, dominant beings beyond their own. Sure, they may not be humans. But it's interesting to think what kind of organisms and what kind of civilization and adaptations they have, if any.

This sh*t is too deep for me.

Edited by The Killa

Any advanced life out there (advanced beyond ours) will most likely be the ones to reach us first.

That's actually something I never considered whilst speculating over extraterrestrial life. Odd.

But yeah, its an interesting topic. It's unfortunate that chances are we wont be certain in our generation, but I hope one day something big comes up. I certainly believe there is life out there. And even if there is, communication is almost an impossibility, considering the next star closest to us is a light year or so away (if I'm not mistaken).

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

Of course, UFO's have been seen in paintings hundreds of years old, in cave paintings, similarly described in holy scripture.

As if were the smartest beings in space.

And even if there is, communication is almost an impossibility, considering the next star closest to us is a light year or so away (if I'm not mistaken).

Except for the sun. And the closest star after that is way more than one lightyear away.

Life on other planets? I think it's highly possible, considering the vastness of the universe and beyond. Billions of stars and planets and sh*t out there, and we're the only living beings? No way. I was big into space stuff when I was a kid, and just talking about this makes me feel the same way.

ILovePolarBears

Given the vastness of the universe, it's probably safe to assume there's got to be other life out there somewhere.

And even if there is, communication is almost an impossibility, considering the next star closest to us is a light year or so away (if I'm not mistaken).

Except for the sun. And the closest star after that is way more than one lightyear away.

Yeah, I was excluding the sun.

It probably is much more than a light year, its been a while since I've studied space.

Digïtál £vîl

There are new studies going on in the world now. Like that giant machine that will create miniature black holes for scientists to study. And other crap. Honestly, we are only at the tip of scientific discover. It is only time.

Will I meet an extraterrestrial in my lifetime? Idk, but it would be an interesting thing. As it stands, as long as the world doesn't implode on itself in the next 50 years or so, the average life span of a person will most likely be in the mid 100's. So I'm excited for that. Just more time to sit around and wait for the aliens to come. haha.

I say yes.

Why? For humans to exist right here right now, there had to be a series of many variables align, such as distance from the sun, existence of the sun, existence of oxygen, water, etc. There are also time constraints, such as life of the sun. There are also safety constraints such as temperature and volatility of volcanoes and sh*t.

Given the sheer size of space, and the sheer amount of star systems and planets within them, I believe that a similar planet has experienced the same amount of variables aligning to permit life to exist.

ILovePolarBears

Yeah, I was excluding the sun.

It probably is much more than a light year, its been a while since I've studied space.

After the sun, about eight light minutes away, the nearest star to Earth is roughly 4.2 light years away.

Blind Joe Death

I wouldn't go as far to say that there's life in our galaxy but I'd have to say that there's definitely life somewhere in the universe considering the size and number of other galaxies and solar systems out there. I am also guessing that we are the most intelligent life there is in this universe since we live in such a perfect environment, well maybe not perfect but it's pretty damn good since we have all the resources we need to live a long, healthy life.

But another part of me does says that there could be life on a planet somewhere which is in fact a lot more intelligent and advanced than we are and have already discovered a lot of the secrets of the universe that we may only find out in thousands of years to come.

And who knows...we could even be visited soon in the future by an advanced civilization from another galaxy which has found a fast and easy way to travel through space.

according to the first article the planets temp is to high to support life. So it is merely organic. Cool thing is, give that planet a few billion years to cool off and life might form.

As for life in the universe. Surprisingly I just had this debate in my astronomy lab. Has anyone heard of the Drake equation? It is an equation created by Dr. Frank Drake that determined the number of possible intelligent life forms that exist on other planets based upon a variety of different variables. The answer he got was 10. 10 possible planets out of an estimated 100 Billion planets in the whole milky way galaxy that COULD hold probably intelligent life. Those odds are pretty low, but at least it means it's possible I guess...

Another input, the earth is about 4.5 billion years old. The Universe is believed to be about 13 Billion years old or so. It took life as a singled celled organism to appear around 3,000 million years ago. It took billions of years, a 1/3 of the age of the universe for intelligent life to be created on a planet placed ideally in the perfect position by a star, our sun. In your opinion does that fact limit the chances of possible life, or helps it?

sig.gif

Social: TOGA62

PS3: balltowellamp

there had to be a series of many variables align, such as distance from the sun, existence of the sun, existence of oxygen, water, etc.

Who says that Alien species would need similar conditions to Earth to survive.?

Considering our planet is 70% (or so) water, it's logical that early lifeforms would have had to adapt to the sheer amount of water.

I believe that life on other planets would be like the eco system of Earth. Very different enviroments bringing up very different species, each having completely different needs in order to live.

No dough this post will get questions and and maybe even some fighting.

In my opinion, it's just too early to really try to form any decisive view on it. If there is intelligent life on a planet somewhere, there's not even that great of a chance that we would even recognize it as intelligent. As far as life of any type goes, for all we know Mars is crawling with single celled organisms and we just haven't found the right soil sample yet.

Then when you start talking about planets light years away, well, I think that's just impractical to think about. Even if there is intelligent life that far out, there's pretty slim chance we'll ever get over there, and I really doubt that if there is a species intelligent enough to get from there to here, they would have any interest in us. So as far as those huge leaps of distances go, I don't think we'll ever see any intelligent life even if it is there.

As far as whether there are planets having the right conditions for life, those conditions probably vary from planet to planet. After all, there are places on our own planet that have temperature differences, differences in chemical compositions, etc. that would be deemed unlivable by science, but remarkably turn up life time and time again.

My opinion is that, while there's probably intelligent life somewhere in the universe, we probably have more of a chance finding it on our own unexplored planet.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

G MONEY $$$

Of course there is life out there. Insisting that there isn't is a pretty f*cking audacious statement when we know so little.

Doesn't much matter though since we'll likely never discover or make contact with any sort of "alien" life.

kevin2006rhs

Humans are so high on themselves. Even with the state of religion they constantly deny that evolution exists, then when hey finally do conform to science you get the "well god started evolution so we would eventually form" line of bullsh*t. Saying no would be to proclaim that we are one and only, this is the only planet out of trillions of planets to make it this far.

I tread on thin ice as to say we are the most advanced, but I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that there are other forms of life simpler than us out there. It has been calculated that 13 or so billion years ago the "big bang" occurred, 5 or so billion years ago our Sun was formed, Earth is said to be 4.5 billion years old, and Humans (homo sapians) are said to have been around for about 200,000 thousand years. Now think of how long it took for our Sun to form as a star and think about the billions of stars older than it in the universe. There could be or could have been countless civilizations of "creatures" as knowing or more knowledgeable than us in that period of time.

But who knows, at the rate we are going, it looks like humans are going from being able to destroy their own world to being able to destroy all worlds before we kill ourselves off. On that note, I still firmly believe we will be the guilty party of our own demise.

I'm definetly in the camp that believes it has to exist out there somewhere. With the infinite size of our universe it's impossible for us to be the only occurence of life anywhere. Although i did have an interesting thought on this subject the other week (gonna go all hypothetical on your ass here): say there was some god-like beings looking around the universe, browsing the planets; do you think the life on earth would just be considered a feature of our planet, like Saturn has rings Earth has all that stuff on its sturface?

Also we may have already have looked at places where there is life, but not as we consider it or can comprehend it. Think about ti we can only see so much of the light/sound spectrum and we dont even know if there are more extremes on the spectrum that we can't measure nevermind see.

Meh, I think I'm starting to ramble all sorts of crap now.

Aliens FTW alien.giftounge.gif

user posted image

silvermanblue

Absolutly, the univesrse is far to vast not to be. There has to be somekind of life out there.

The real question is, who will extend there hand first?

Leone Family Mafia

ПРОПАГАНДА.ИНЦ, СИЛВЕРМАНБЛУЕ

Struff Bunstridge
As for life in the universe. Surprisingly I just had this debate in my astronomy lab. Has anyone heard of the Drake equation? It is an equation created by Dr. Frank Drake that determined the number of possible intelligent life forms that exist on other planets based upon a variety of different variables. The answer he got was 10. 10 possible planets out of an estimated 100 Billion planets in the whole milky way galaxy that COULD hold probably intelligent life. Those odds are pretty low, but at least it means it's possible I guess...

user posted image

There's a star a few hundred thousand lightyears away with a planet orbiting it, and that planet has a atmosphere that's much like Earth's. It consists of water vapor, and Methane.

Methane is the basic root of life of bacteria, so there may be some unicellular life on that planet.

I'll see if I can find some sort of source for that.

kdr9l4.png

There's a star a few hundred thousand lightyears away with a planet orbiting it, and that planet has a atmosphere that's much like Earth's. It consists of water vapor, and Methane.

Methane is the basic root of life of bacteria, so there may be some unicellular life on that planet.

I believe that life on planets so far away, even if the planets have the same qualities as Earth, will produce life-forms that don't resemble ours in the least. Who knows what history the planet could have and how it reached it's current situation? It's so unlikely the aliens will even have legs, eyes or other features we have. Anthropomorphism ftl.

I believe that life on planets so far away, even if the planets have the same qualities as Earth, will produce life-forms that don't resemble ours in the least. Who knows what history the planet could have and how it reached it's current situation? It's so unlikely the aliens will even have legs, eyes or other features we have. Anthropomorphism ftl.

Yeah, it's a very likely thing indeed. The planets atmosphere contains nearly perfect structure for the fundamentals of life, it's a good chance there's SOME sort of organism there.

Guaranteed it has no arms/legs/ears, but it's still life, and it's on another planet.

kdr9l4.png

user posted image

Jayzamann is tragically torn between his love for TOGA62 and his love for Randall Munroe

@Trows: exactly. There could be a species that is much more hardy than us that thrives in horrible conditions that is numerous in another part of the universe.

vininfinite

Do Transformers count as living creatures?

user posted image

Yes I do beleive in other life, smart or not.

G MONEY $$$

I've always liked thinking that if there are/were/will be "intelligent" civilizations out there, they would have totally different histories and it'd be interesting to learn about them. I suppose it'd be a pretty good sci-fi book...although depending on the type of organism it'd probably be a lot different from what any writer could come up with. tounge.gif

YourNeighborhoodKiller

Obviously.

They were considering moving to Mars.

New account: Gezim

user posted image

hahaha I found that rather funny. But what needs to be remembered is that this is simply an equation derived to determine a probability. Many people have worked it over with different numbers, but from what I've read no one has gotten an answer over 5,000. Which is still extremely small in the long run of things. Do I personally think life is out there? Yes, I'm an optimistic guy so I'm sure if it could happen here on earth in our little perfect ecosystem then it's possible someplace else in our huge universe.

The big thing is communication. There is virtually no way to contact one another that wouldn't require thousands or millions of years to be heard, and even less of a believable way to actually get a chance to visit another civilization. Everything we know about physics says it is not possible. If we send a transmission through space now, the nearest star alone (which canNOT support life) wouldn't hear it for a couple millenniums, and even longer for another possible near by planet to pick it up. So why bother worrying about an answer we will probably never be able to answer on our own? It's more likely that we will have to pick up OLD ass transmissions another species sent out thousands/millions of years ago. In which case all we would know is that at some point a LONG time ago there was intelligent life.

Unless by some chance the Aliens stumble upon us and actually give two sh*ts about what a bunch of primitive Homo sapiens are doing. But I think I'd lean more towards the world domination/enslavement of the entire human race as being the likely scenario. haha.

sig.gif

Social: TOGA62

PS3: balltowellamp