Alienware Computers

Ronnyboy

Im looking into getting my own computer in the future. I heard about these computers called Alienware computers. Are they worth getting if Im more into gaming?

You see Im looking intothis but I wanted to know if it is worth it? Does it play GTA's or Half-Life? I just would like to know if it will last for awhile and if it's worht getting.

It's not bad. Pretty good processor, okay graphics card, right amount of ram, and a strong power supply. I'd say upgrade the graphics card, if possible.

Keep in mind, that price doesn't include a monitor. I wouldn't waste my cash on on of theirs, I'd get one from a store, it'd be quite a bit cheaper. $270 for a 19" is nuts. You can easily get one for $200.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

I already have a nice monitor, but Im just getting the base version with a Blu-Ray drive if possible. But will this allow Half-Life2 or posibly GTA IV?

> Alienware Computers, Are they worth it?

No. Not one single bit, they're complete rip-off merchants. Building yourself is the best option, but other pre-build retailers offer far better and competitive rates.

F4tISZ2.png

xY1j6rP.gif

I would realy recomend building a PC yourself smile.gif You save SOOOO much money.

I would f*ck up as soon as I start. But I know my uncle has one and he loves his.

But how hard is it to put one together?

I would realy recomend building a PC yourself smile.gif You save SOOOO much money.

I would f*ck up as soon as I start. But I know my uncle has one and he loves his.

But how hard is it to put one together?

easy as ABC, it looks harder than it is, everything only plugs in one way so there is a extra small chance of you f*cking up smile.gif

look at some videos on youtube, most of them help

vininfinite

I bought an old HP computer. (P4 2.4 gh, 512mb, 120gb, the standard for xp machine) ANd upgraded it with a two year old graphics card (Was top of the line when it came out) and upgraded the ram to 4 gb. It cost me 200 for the HP, 40 for the graphics card, and 120 to upgrade the ram. All I need to do now is upgrade the prossecer and I'm set for the next 3-5 years.

Alienware charge an extra $1000-$2000 on their PC's.

And the cases suck for airflow.

Tell us a budget, and we shall make you a shopping list of parts, after that, its as easy as hell to get things in, everything is unable to be put in the wrong way, or anything like that.

90FHTZo.png

Ok I'll make a price.

$650-$700 is my limit for a up front purchase. But if I buy the parts over time no limit. I need a computer capable of playing Half-Life, GTA SA, GTA IV possibly, and GH III. Something powerful but will last 4 years.

Some one on here had a link to a site I think was called "Overclockers" which had a bunch of computer configurations through out prices ranges and sorted by AMD and Intal.

I would personally go for something like...

Intel Q9450 Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz (retail price supposed to be about $315)

2GB RAM ($50-$100, depending how good and what brand)

8800GT or wait for a better, not up to date on the new 9 series. ~$250-$350

Compatible motherboard (~$125-$200)

500-600W PSU should be good enough ~$50-100

Simple DVD RW drive ~$25-50

HDD, I'd suggest 500GB which can be had for ~$100-125

A case, $50-200

Unless you have them, a mouse, keyboard and speakers would be needed. All those prices depend on what kind you want, too varying to even describe.

For the MoBo, keep in mind if you plan on going with an SLi set up some time, you'll need to get one with 2 PCI-e slots. Also keep the PSU (power supply) in mind there as well, it'll have to power two cards on top of everything else so it'll have to be pretty strong.

I'm pretty sure that machine would be able to run GTA IV one medium to high settings, just fine (assuming it goes to PC, lol). Totals out to be $965-1,440 going by the prices I listed. More likely you'd have it all for $1,200, which for that set up, is TONS greater than anything you'd find at a store, and AlienWare would probably charge at least $2,000 for it.

Now the thing with buying the PC in parts and building them at the end is by the time you get to it, one part might be out of date. I would set a target build time of no longer than 4 months, 6 would be pushing it. By the time 6 months you'll be dying to get "that new processor" or "graphics card" that just came out tounge.gif

$650 is a good start, you could get the processor (don't think it's out yet, will be very soon if not), the card, and maybe some RAM depending on prices. But I would suggest only doing so if you can make up another $600 (plan out the purchase though, and get a definitive price, I'm just guessing here) in the next couple months, then go for it. Being that you're only 13, I have a feeling that'd be hard for you.

As for how to's...

http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/cpu/CPU.htm

http://www.tigerdirect.com/static/html/pcbuildingtips.html

edit:

I bought a Velocity Micro PC from Best Buy last year, and I love it. They're more gaming oriented, so they've got good C2D and C2Q's and nice graphics cards. The current model that replace mine in their line up is $1,500 and here's it's specs.

Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16 Ghz

3GB Corsiar RAM

ATI RADEON X3850 (not familiar with this card, but it's a 256MB card, probably comparable to an 8600GT or better)

500GB HDD

I would assume it at least has their 500W PSU, which can handle the bigger cards if you want to upgrade later. As you can see, the processor is a bit behind the 2.66GHz Quad I listed in the above build, although this one does have 3GB of RAM. Most likely Corsair ValueSelect RAM, although it could be the XMS series.

Like I said above, not familiar on the graphics card, you'd have to ask the guys here about that. Probably decent, can play GTA SA on max settings I would assume, especially with that processor. 500GB HDD is right on the spot. The motherboard is probably a cheaper one, but it does have room for a second PCI-e graphics card, so it most likely supports SLI.

The reason I'm pointing this out as for one reason, it's much cheaper than an equivelant AlienWare would be, and two, you don't have a large steady income. If you could get your parents to get a Best Buy card you can pay off about half of it with what you've got now (I'd suggest saving a bit more though), then getting it and making payments. The extra cost would be worth it in your situation because you don't know how to build a PC, and you probably won't be able to gather all the parts in a convenient amount of time.

Link to it

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...6#productdetail

Edited by Picolini

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Yeah, that sounds pretty sweet. But I like the set-up you made Picolini, I'm still afraid of f*cking it all up. So I may get that computer you posted instead. My folks say I pretty much have to pay half of it, so it will probably be in price range. If there is anything cheaper, I would appreciate it. But if that works the best I'll just shove out the extra $ and get it. But is a bit over my price range.

Some one on here had a link to a site I think was called "Overclockers" which had a bunch of computer configurations through out prices ranges and sorted by AMD and Intal.

www.overclockers.co.uk ?

user posted image

user posted image

@matthew1g, it might be that site... not sure.

@Ronnyboy, well they do have other Velocity Micro PC's at Best Buy, the cheapest being $1,000.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...6#productdetail

It's got an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core 6000+ @ 3.0Ghz (as well as the same 500GB HDD, and 3GB of RAM). I'm not familiar with this processor, but it's a dual core at 3.0Ghz, so I'm assuming it's pretty strong. The only thing that looks weak on the specs is the graphics card, which is a 512MB 8500GT. I'm sure it could handle GTA SA on near high, or high settings. Games like BF2 or Oblivion would probably have to be run on medium settings. But, the great thing about computers is you can upgrade tounge.gif

It's quite a strong PC, and for $1,000, you won't find something similar by the bigger makers, and this one is easier to pop open and upgrade, and it doesn't void the warranty.

What do you guys think? For a grand, I'd say it's a solid performing PC.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

No. Not one single bit, they're complete rip-off merchants. Building yourself is the best option, but other pre-build retailers offer far better and competitive rates.

I have an AlienWare Area-51 M9750.

Twin HD's, Twin GFX cards running on SLi. Fastest thing ive ever been on, runs any game including Oblivion wit ease on the highest settings.

Value for money nothing came close, I couldnt have built a laptop for anywhere near as cheap.

So i disagree.

x3FWE.png

@Picolini:

A 8500 GT would handle GTA SA on max settings and all the cool features with it too. I play GTA SA and Vice on max (or near max) settings. On a 5-year-old FX 5600. And it runs smooth. BF2 runs quite good on low settings (800x600, no AA, mid-to-low settings on the features (shadows, etc.)) looks a bit crappy, but I'm good with it. Also, my card can handle Flatout 2 on 1280x1024 and 4xAA with very small, nearly unnoticeable lag. The only change from the original, is a new fan. The old one had some problems.

But building your own PC is better than buying a whole PC. For example, you build a PC, it has everything you need, fits your budget. Buying a whole PC isn't the best thing. For example, there might be a graphics card that is very, very good, but has a cheap, no-name PSU. Or a bad CPU, whatever. It hasn't got something you want, you can afford it, but the one that has what you need, is over-budget.

Also, a guide to assemble a PC: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1444

A good shopping list with 3 sections: low, mid and high budget systems: http://www.pcstats.com/ShoppingList.cfm

We will be the arms that lift you up oqKntbC.gifWe will be the hand that strike you down

Twin HD's, Twin GFX cards running on SLi. Fastest thing ive ever been on, runs any game including Oblivion wit ease on the highest settings.

Value for money nothing came close, I couldnt have built a laptop for anywhere near as cheap.

So i disagree.

How much did you pay?

I bet if you shopped around at the other high-end PC laptop manufacturers, you would of found a better deal.

Go to their american site, make a PC with Tri-SLI and a Extreme Quad-Core, Then make the exact asme system on newegg, and see the price gouging that Alienware do for yourself.

90FHTZo.png

user posted image

user posted image

First one is Alienware system compared to an identical system built on newegg (bottom).

As you can see, the Alienware one costs almost double the one on newegg.

Well, Im for sure not to be getting an Alienware computer now.

I'll probably do what you have been saying and buid my own. I can do it over time and if I need help I can ask my uncle for it. If it is cheaper, which you have been saying, I'll start buying parts and start building. Thank you all for your help and your time with my desicion.

They are the best Dell brand name computers you can buy for gaming, other than development workstations.

If you have the money for an Alienware; go for it. If you like doing fun projects, build something

better for half the price and learn a new skill.

LUCK FOR A BUCK!!!!! f*ck Yea!

GTAF's Most Annoying Unbanned Member.

user posted image

bai. -jllr

Well since you decided to go the do-it-yourself route, I'd advise looking into the major components of a PC, reading up on them and what they do so you can understand what you're doing a bit more, when putting it together.

The main things for a PC are...

The case (duh), no brainer.

Motherboard (MoBo)

Processor (CPU)

RAM

Graphics card (GPU)

Powersupply (PSU)

Hard drive (HDD)

There's other things that aren't 100% necessary, such as optical drives (CD/DVD Drives), but I'm sure you already know what those are. Other than those above 7 things, there's not much else to it besides peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc). I'd say pop up wikipedia and get a better understand about the different types and functions of the above things. For one, it's good to know what the difference between an AGP, PCI, or PCI-E slot is on a motherboard when it comes to deciding a graphics card (PCI-E is the best currently). Good luck, keep us informed on the PC. icon14.gif

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

kingvercetti

Also I'd suggest if you're worried about f*cking up building a PC, get hold of one that's pretty old and unwanted from somewhere (my uncle picked me one up that was being thrown out from a house clearance), then try taking it apart and putting it back together, that'll give you a chance to mess around and get to grips with everything without having to worry about breaking stuff. I did, and not only was I shocked to see how easy it was, but the thing worked too. icon14.gif

@Waddy: I wasn't aware you could build laptops. wow.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Why not get a 9600 grapics card? They are cheaper than an 8800GT, and they are a newer model.

You can pick one up for about £125, maybe less. 8800GT's, the good ones are roughly £150 upwards.

@Waddy: I wasn't aware you could build laptops. wow.gif

Oh yeah, forgot to reply to Waddy's post.

The fact is, that's a laptop made by them, not a PC. A laptop has to have special parts, and the case for that matter, all of which are not as widely available and/or compatible with all other parts and cases as much as PC parts are. But when it comes to PC's, Alienware, as well as most other performance PC makers charge quite a bit over what it costs to make on your own.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

They are the best Dell brand name computers you can buy for gaming, other than development workstations.

If you have the money for an Alienware; go for it. If you like doing fun projects, build something

better for half the price and learn a new skill.

No, boycott Alienware for charging $2000 over normal price tag!

You's still get it cheaper if you asked us what parts to order, ordered them, then got a tech guy to make it.

90FHTZo.png

So i disagree.

Laptops are a different matter - The parts aren't quite as easy to come by cheaply as they're not often built.. However, the only reason you think you got value for money was due to a lack of shopping around.

When it comes down to it, the customer has the choice, even if it's a stupidly wasteful one.

F4tISZ2.png

xY1j6rP.gif

id get it custom built go into a computer shop that custom builds them, give them ur price range and get a quote on a few gaming systems from them. most of the time getting one custom built is cheaper and better. smile.gif

The best laptops are the ThinkPad's IMO, my aunt has one, my Mum has one, and my grandma has one! They're all a couple years old (Mums is running a Prescott Core Celeron at 1.8Ghz with a 15Gb Hard Drive, for example) but their as tough as nails, and don't come with too much unneeded crap installed.

90FHTZo.png