Computer keeps freezing

gtamodder

Yesterday I installed my 8800 GT, And I installed Vista Sp1, but after I installed Vista Sp1, the computer has more problems, when I use it for 5-10 minuites, and the it freezes, and the mouse did too. Ctrl+Alt+Delete does not work, and then my PC Won't unfreeze. Nothing can unfreeze it.

Then I have to turn the computer off by the wall. But the freezing happens every 5-10 minuites. I ran the computer for two hours with the 8800 GT, And it was fine.

It just started after I installed Sp1.

My brother thinks it has something to do with the 8800 GT Too powerful for my Powersupply, But I dont think because the poblem started after installing Sp1.

My system specs

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

2GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT

Windows Vista Home Premuim.

Please help! I noticed I lost RAM From doing this. It went from 2048 to 2047.

I tried safe mode too, That didn't work.

Please help! I noticed I lost RAM From doing this. It went from 2048 to 2047.

Not a very big difference, is it?

Btw, have you tried doing a full system virus scan? Cleaning out your registry might help too I guess.

And I hope you have a legit copy of Vista.

I do have a legit copy of vista, And I didn't want too turn the PC Off by the wall too many times or I'll lose too much RAM.

I've tried doing scans, cleaning registry, even system restore. None worked. But I thought I should go back to XP, Maybe to fix this?

Edit: I found many people had the same problem, and it says it reccomended You use XP, And not vista (those who repair computers). Should I go back to XP?

Edited by gtamodder

Well

1. What is your powersuply?

2. Do you have the 6pin power connecter pluged into the card?

3. Did you uninstall you last cards drivers?

4. Could be a heat issue, download ntune, and in the nvidia control pannel tell us your gpu's tempurature

It shouldnt be a Vista issue

Well

4. Could be a heat issue, download ntune, and in the nvidia control pannel tell us your gpu's tempurature

How do I find out my power supply? Yes I did uninstall my last card drivers. A connector came off the card my brother just found, could this be the cause? And I can't download ntune, because my computer will freeze in about, 5 minuites, which I won't be able to find it out. I'm not sure about the 6pin power, I find it disconnected, and thats probably the cause.

Well

4. Could be a heat issue, download ntune, and in the nvidia control pannel tell us your gpu's    tempurature

How do I find out my power supply? Yes I did uninstall my last card drivers. A connector came off the card my brother just found, could this be the cause? And I can't download ntune, because my computer will freeze in about, 5 minuites, which I won't be able to find it out. I'm not sure about the 6pin power, I find it disconnected, and thats probably the cause.

Open the side of your PC case and on the power suply there should be a sticker

So you dont have a cable pluged into the card?

I found a cable did come loose, I've connected it, and everything seems ok, but now there's more problems. The screen just went black, and it's all connected properly, then it went pink, and I had to switch my PC Off by the wall.

And this just happened after installing Vista Sp1, and I've had sooo many problems with this Vista PC, XP Was perfect for mine, could I downgrade to XP?

right ok, have you checked what you power supply is and how many watts it is? if its under 450W i think that could be your problem

right ok, have you checked what you power supply is and how many watts it is? if its under 450W i think that could be your problem

It's not under 450, it's 700W.

Well the only other thing i can think of it reinstalling your drivers and if it doesnt work your card is probably faulty

700W is a strong power supply, I doubt you'd have one that strong and not know about it.

If it is 700W, it'd handle all your specs just fine. A 450W would be pushing it as my guess is that's the minimum requirement for the 8800, if not more.

You can quit mentioning SP 1, as it shouldn't cause any such problem. But if you insist, roll back. Windows should have creating a back up point before installation. I wouldn't do it myself, as it's really doubtful SP 1 did this. First I'd try taking out the 8800, seeing if that fixes it. Before that even, I'd make sure I have the newest drivers for the graphics card.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

And if getting the latest drivers doesn't work, put up with it for a while (Month), then get the newest drivers then, as it may be nVidia's drivers aren't fully working with SP1, I had it with nVidia's drivers and normal Vista after a update, hence why I've gone to ATI now.

And you don't lose ram from turning it off at the switch, my school computers have always had 1Gb of ram, and they ALWAYS get turned off at the switch.

It could also be a bad install, if you want, try and reinstall SP1, but I doubt that's it.

90FHTZo.png

I thought I'd lose RAM, As it went from 2048 to 2047, from switching it off by the wall.

My brothers PC Has a ATI Radeon X1950 Pro, and he doesn't use that, So I'll try that card.

Edit: Ok I tried the card, I uninstalled the drivers for my 8800 GT, And I took it out, and put the X1950 in, and installed lastest drivers, it works fine, but after a while the screen goes black! The monitors connected properly, and Everything is set up correctly. And my PC Isn't overheating, I had a look and there was no overheating. I read this is known as the "Black screen of death". And I'm stuck there and I have to switch my PC Off by the wall. But I have tried different monitors, and it still does it. The connection is in right. But When I started up Windows, its asked to recover. I selected the one to create a partition, and when it was half done, the screen went black, and I left it for 20 minuites, and it still wouldn't come off. So the only way was to switch the PC Off by the wall, and now it won't come to the log on screen. It says "Windows failed to start up". Then it asks what to boot from. I select the only option, and it won't start up! It just takes me to the screen where it says Windows failed to start. Please help!

Edited by gtamodder