RE: A Well Deserved Thank-You

gta phil gta

gta phil gta

Some of the members of this community need to just calm down, and realise that this forum is all ours to share - nobody is above anybody else, and anybodies contributions are all as welcome as the next member's. We're all in it together, and an elitist attitude is not what is needed.

I've seen people come here knowing next to nothing, being unable to string a sentence or two together. They work at it, keep contributing, even in their own small way, and pretty soon become vastly improved. Even someone who appears to be unskilled in the art of writing can soon improve, and it is only with our help that they can do so; not with any form of elitism or criticism that is in no way constructive.

Some people's attitudes here need to change, and change fast. There's no need to berate someone whose ability is far below anyone else's, or to necessarily even point out that fact. Just simply pull together; show how to improve. Help. You may even learn something about yourself, and your own writing, in the process.

As Candarelli has previously so simply stated, he hasn't seen anyone on here whose writing could amount to anymore than that of a hobby. And he's correct. So some of us just need to step back and take that fact in. This is all for fun. Nobody's forcing anybody to read something, or write something. This is the one thing we all share in common - the enjoyment we take from the whole idea of writing, whether it be prose, poetry, or anything else. We all do this in our own free time, and I commend anyone who even steps in here for a second to read through someone else's work; something they've spent a lot of time and effort into creating. I commend anyone who has the patience to then help this person improve in their writing, whether this is with a simple overview of what they could do to better their next piece, or a full blown breakdown of their piece to highlight errors and potential improvements.

I commend anyone who gives writing a shot. Good or bad, I commend anyone who contributes even the slightest thing to this community, finished or unfinished, a simple idea or an entire novel. It is these contributions, large or small, that keep this forum running, and without them, it'd be a sorry state of affairs.

No matter what level a piece is at, somebody, in their own free time, has put a lot of hard work into creating it for other people to enjoy. The least everyone else should do is respect and admire that, and regardless of the end product, appreciate what they have done. Critique away, but don't discourage. And don't disrespect.

Remember, this is our community. It's up to us to make it as enjoyable as possible, whether somebody frequents the area daily, or whether they just pop in to spend some of their free time here once a week.

Enjoy, respect, appreciate. Feel free to grab a thesaurus and just add to this list. Go crazy.

Above all, just have fun. It's what we're here for. Let's lose the negative attitude that takes over sometimes and just appreciate that we all share this one common interest, and love for writing. Or reading. Whatever it is we're here for, let's just make the most of it and enjoy.

Thank you.

You basically nailed it right there. I only read other peoples work and (occasionally) post my own just for fun, not because I NEED and CRAVE to be critiqued by people.

I don't do it for the glory of people reading my work, or feeling powerful because I read something before somebody else. icon14.gif

kdr9l4.png

Canofceleri

I haven't been able to really read that topic much, but I've picked up on a little bitchiness... people bitching about not being on the list. I think that's pretty stupid, but what you said was true Phil.

And Phil, why don't you write more on here? You're one of the better writers on here.

gta phil gta
And Phil, why don't you write more on here? You're one of the better writers on here.

I'm not too sure, you know. tounge.gif

I haven't written an awful lot as of late - laziness, other work taking priority, those sorts of things. Laziness, hah, sounds such a bad reason not to write, really. Well, not that per se, but just lack of focus to create and follow through on a task.

But I digress. Maybe soon. lol.gif

You're right man...you're so right.

I apologise for my sheer, utter arrogance in that thread. I replied with unnecessary aggression, temper and disrespect which really makes me ashamed. I know I'm not the best writer in the world, and I deeply apologise for flaming longkissgoodnight in that way. That topic was meant to be about The Unvirginiser thanking all of us; not about an argument about why someone was not on the list. I still think he shouldn't have requested it there, but looking back on how I treated him and how I responded to the situation makes me feel like such a dick.

I apologise whole-heartedly if I caused anyone any stress, nervousness, temper or sheers anger, and I fully regret all the things I said. Sorry. cryani.gif

longkissgoodnight

Apology accepted - buddy.

Sometimes things wont go down so easily!

Evil never dies! (Under heavy construction)

The Unvirginiser

A quick update for you boys:

Sent: Re:I am sorry

[ Forward PM | Reply ]

Personal MessageThe Unvirginiser Sent: Re:I am sorry, Mar 21 2008, 00:46    

(longkissgoodnight @ Mar 21 2008, 00:37)

I am sorry your thing got closed. I didn't mean for it to be closed. But some people just wont go down with out a fight. And they "attack" me. 

Oh you f*cking bastard!

Thanks for ruining the entire thread you f*cking stupid noob!!!

You ruined a f*cking appreciation topic thanking the good wriitng community you thick twat, your what is wrong with the internet you ill-educated little sh*t!

All your fault you f*cking moron you couldn't just shut that big f*cking whole in your face after about five warnings!

f*ck YOU!!!

Otherwise... yeah well put... and the special thanks list that caused more trouble than it was worth is not included which is a good thing. To be honest everyone deserves a special thanks. It's nice to see a rare corner of hapiness in this site.

I refuse to apologize. To people like LongKiss, what they need is a beating.

Sure, I'll apologize to the people I've flamed at, but actually improved and you know, listened to "the community" as you so kindly put it...Phil...but when idiots like him prance onto the board posting their stories they refuse to fix and then expect to be given respect, well that's downright awful. There have been many before, but no one has quite bitten my balls like LongKiss has. I will never apologize to him.

It's not that I'm arrogant, or maybe I am. Maybe not elitist, not that accurate of a word. Tired is more like it. I'm tired of the fake sh*t all over this board. People pretending to be friends with each other, referring to each other as being part of some "community". Face it, is this really a community? A bunch of writer's, that whenever something happens, a flame war erupts, but when someone like Eminence or Phil shows up, it's all better!

Sure, I may have not been here long. Only two years, which is jack sh*t compared to the oh so pro's like Phil and Candarelli. f*cking seriously, who believes in that sh*t? That is corny optimism up the f*cking wazoo.

What was once a place I loved and cherished, I now loathe and pity, what a shame. Oxi knows what I feel and maybe Luke does too. But of everyone that should know, he doesn't talk to me anymore.

gta phil gta

I'd also like to note, this topic isn't regarding anyone in particular - no names will be named, and it's not based on anyone's actions, skill level or anything related. The entire topic revolves around a generalisation, and the realisation of the fact that we're all on a clean slate, and we just need to continue on as a thriving community. smile.gif

EDIT: CW, I see your points completely. But still, take a step back and realise this is all on everyone's free time and it's a hobby. If someone doesn't want to cooperate, leave them be and just ignore it.

I can't help but think your hostile reaction is being so just for the sake of being hostile. You don't have to be opposed to everything, you know. Not everything is a conspiracy, or something broke that needs fixing. You don't always have to find the negatives in everything possible. smile.gif

Edited by gta phil gta

The Unvirginiser

I refuse to apologise as well, I want to make that clear... may I direct you to this topic to help improve situations like this

Yes clean slate

Were all homeboys here, best part of the forum if you ask me

gta phil gta

I'm afraid I've been misunderstood.

I'm not defending the actions of anyone, nor am I opposing them. I'm doing what I feel we should all be - passive.

I'm not asking for any apologies. Nobody has anything to apologise for. Just lose the hostility, and move on.

The Unvirginiser

I would like to thank everybody on writers forums

Unlike the general chat and GTA4 sections of this site it is full of intelligent and constructive people. Obviously there is colleration between intelligent people and people who can write well.

Its a shame that this corner of the site isnt visited too often... I would put that down to the amount of idiots that plauge the site.

So I want to thank the elite bunch of cool guys who that all look out for each other elsewhere in the site and are never needlessly nasty and are always constructive.

Thank you for keeping this part of the site going with creative and new ideas.

Special thanks to

Eminence

Oblivionz

TonyZimmzy

Oxidizer

Typhus

BlOoDStReAm101

Chickstick

CubanWhip

Poikly

Saltinespike

TubbyJ

Masterkraft

Vercetti21

Candarelli

Let me know if I missed anyone off

Peace

Like I said

I want to thank each and every one of you for your support and decication. Even when feedback is scarce. Lets face it... no names said there is a lot of turds on this forum, who contribute nothing and are just malicious and nasty. But not here, we have our own community going, speak a lot on msn and things and are all just homies.

Just wanna say thanks a lot

feel free to add me : [email protected]

Blonde attack! I only just started paying proper attention to all of this and... was this whole thing triggered by a list? mercie_blink.gif Or am I confused?

Screw this.

Special thanks to:

Me,

Sinful,

Saget,

My mom,

My dad,

My über-cool writing skillz!!

Anyone that buys me some chocolate.

Thanks guys!

There's no need to berate someone whose ability is far below anyone else's, or to necessarily even point out that fact.

Actually, there is. People need criticism, and they should just be thankful that people actually took the time to read what they wrote. You know, the issue isn't even criticism here. The issue is people being childish and being unable to accept that no, they are not the new Charles Dickens and no, not everyone is going to fawn over everything they do.

If you can't handle being given an honest opinion then please, just get out and find somewhere else. Somewhere where they mince their words and lie to your face. But we must always differentiate between criticism and rudeness.

That's the key.

Sent: Re:I am sorry

[ Forward PM | Reply ]

Personal MessageThe Unvirginiser Sent: Re:I am sorry, Mar 21 2008, 00:46    

(longkissgoodnight @ Mar 21 2008, 00:37)

I am sorry your thing got closed. I didn't mean for it to be closed. But some people just wont go down with out a fight. And they "attack" me. 

Oh you f*cking bastard!

Thanks for ruining the entire thread you f*cking stupid noob!!!

You ruined a f*cking appreciation topic thanking the good wriitng community you thick twat, your what is wrong with the internet you ill-educated little sh*t!

All your fault you f*cking moron you couldn't just shut that big f*cking whole in your face after about five warnings!

f*ck YOU!!!

Aww dude, that was cruel.

Don't worry longkiss, I will be there for you smile.gif

gta phil gta

There's no need to berate someone whose ability is far below anyone else's, or to necessarily even point out that fact.

Actually, there is. People need criticism, and they should just be thankful that people actually took the time to read what they wrote. You know, the issue isn't even criticism here. The issue is people being childish and being unable to accept that no, they are not the new Charles Dickens and no, not everyone is going to fawn over everything they do.

If you can't handle being given an honest opinion then please, just get out and find somewhere else. Somewhere where they mince their words and lie to your face. But we must always differentiate between criticism and rudeness.

That's the key.

I never said they didn't need criticism. If it's constructive, then that's perfect. It needs to show them what they are doing wrong - why their current piece just doesn't cut it. But then it needs to show how they can improve; how they can correct their wrongdoings.

You need to give people the courage and motivation to try again, there's no point in just putting them down and basically telling them to stop.

I agree with your point of differentiation, though. That is the key - as long as the criticism you speak of is of a constructive nature.

To be honest, I don't really see the problem as anything major. The flame war between members in the other thread has finally been settled, and as for constructive criticism, I haven't seen a single thread in which a regular, experienced WD member has simply said "you suck" without giving any constructiveness at all. If they are "noobs" to the forum, they will learn how things work around here on their own, how to give constructive criticism, etc. and there is no need to tell them more than once or twice, thus resulting in a flame war.

And of course some writers are better than others, and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out. Just as long as it is approached correctly and used in a constructive manner, rather than just "you're not as good as Eminence!!!1!"

As for the regulars of WD themselves, some people just need to grow up and be more professional if they want to be taken seriously.

If we want to really help someone improve their abilities, I think we should worry less about being nice and more about being honest. That is what will put an end to the proposed "fake" attitudes between members. Sure, it will create tensions and such between members, but that is just how a forum works. You can't have everyone loving everyone because too many grudges have already been set in stone. So we have to work with what we got. Above all, just be constructive, and don't worry about who likes you and who does not.

Edited by Vercetti21

Is Candarelli alright? Someone made a topic which implied that he had been in some sort of trouble.

Is Candarelli alright? Someone made a topic which implied that he had been in some sort of trouble.

I think he's alright. I was PMing him last night (we're possibly meeting up on Saturday), and he sounded fine. Did you see the topic today, or something?

Slosten.gif

Face McDougal

There's nothing wrong with feeling that way guys, which is why I suspect my other subject topic was not very much replied to. The last stage is acceptance, I realize that. Plus, you guys didn't know him. I hung out with dude almost everyday or every other day, he was like a brother to me.

The Unvirginiser

What happened to Canderelli? Is he dead?

I just want to say my name is Will, i'm 16 and from Manchester England

Just to be a little more informal

Face McDougal

He passed this morning, to be more precise of a suspected cardiac arhythmia which obviously didn't know he had. The alarm went off for him to go to work and he didn't wake up so his wife tried to wake him but couldn't. She called me (I live in the same neighborhood) and called 911 but it was too late. But he recently really came to terms with life and death, he thought about that stuff a lot. I think his dad dying was a catalyst for a new philosophy and he really had been starting to think of death as more positive than negative lately. Ironic huh?

He passed this morning, to be more precise of a suspected cardiac arhythmia which obviously didn't know he had. The alarm went off for him to go to work and he didn't wake up so his wife tried to wake him but couldn't. She called me (I live in the same neighborhood) and called 911 but it was too late. But he recently really came to terms with life and death, he thought about that stuff a lot. I think his dad dying was a catalyst for a new philosophy and he really had been starting to think of death as more positive than negative lately. Ironic huh?

I'd like to see a news article or something at least, because I can't honestly believe this.

kdr9l4.png

Land Of Confusion

I'd like to see a news article or something at least, because I can't honestly believe this.

I agree, a scan of the obituary would be sufficient or something that proves beyond a reasonable doubt this is not a sick prank.

@longkissgoodnight: I was not apologising to you, I was apologising to gta phil gta. I have no reason to apologise to you, because you were too thcik-headed to avoid a simple argument.

By the way, is this true? If it is then...damn.

Until then, I will wear his name in my sig. RIP sad.gif

longkissgoodnight

Oh so you wanna start again with me? I was not thick headed - you were the one.

Sometimes things wont go down so easily!

Evil never dies! (Under heavy construction)

The Unvirginiser
Oh so you wanna start again with me? I was not thick headed - you were the one.

Get out of WD, go back to GTA4 section you mongoloid