Help with Adobe Reader

Black-hawk

Ok so I'm doing my college assignments, now our Uni being nice and all, puts pdf's of scanned books into the college's intranet for us to download and use, instead of using the old-school real books from the library. So everything is fine and dandy, I'm doing my assignments, but then I scroll down to a certain page which looks like this:

user posted image

Now as I understand, Adobe Reader somehow reads the scanned image and separates the text from the actual image, in theory it sounds nice, but in a math book everything turns ugly. It doesn't recognize the symbols and characters correctly so therefore shows me some evil witchcraft of a page. Is there a function in Adobe Reader to disable text recognition and just make it show the actual image? I haven't been able to find anything, maybe you dudes have had previous experience with such things, so that's why I'm asking. Learning Economics like this isn't going to be fun.

user posted image

I'm unsure how to actually fix that problem unfortunately, but an alternative and lightweight PDF reader is Foxit Reader.

edit: Just noticed you're on Mac.. Perhaps there's another alternative though?

Edited by EmSixTeen

F4tISZ2.png

xY1j6rP.gif

It's Windows only. sad.gif

Oh right, I'm using a Mac btw.

EDIT: I've been searching for some, but haven't found anything decent yet.

user posted image

Adobe PDF is one of the most terrible pieces of software out there. It is as bad if not worse than microsoft in its attempt to monopolise the market.

As you probably know, every few weeks Adobe forces an online upgrade of everyone's software even if you isable the update function. it just ignore syour instruction. Worse of all, every update makes it bigger and slower and loads it up with more useless functions.

Its about time we dumped this really bad piece of software. But its hard because it is deeply tie din with the publishing industry. But anything is better than to be shackled to a ravenous octopus chewing your head while you are alive.

SAVE US FROM ADOBE!!!!!!!!

hopefully Rockstar will put a parody of Adobes and MS's HQ in their next game so we can all run over and blow it up in a make believe way. (Postal 2 already allows us to blow up the HQ of the game's creators).

Just got informed by a friend that they've scanned the wrong pages, so it looks like it's time to hit the campus library, thanks for the help guys. smile.gif

Though if anyone finds a way to disable Adobe's weird text rendering I'll be thankful.

EDIT: Just noticed Em's 2nd reply. Thanks a lot man, the wiki page is just perfect, time to experiment. Oh and Apple's preview also messes up the text. tounge.gif

Thanks again. smile.gif

Edited by Black-hawk
user posted image

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.