Will we ever be too old?

ppr74

I grew up with the Commodores (64, 128 & Amiga), PC and then PS1, X-Box, PS2 and now the 360.

So I've been playing games for 20-25 years. I'm 34 years old and have never been so excited before the release of a game.

I devour every bit of information about GTA IV and I'm just as hungry for more.

My fiance thinks I'm nuts and wants to know when I will grow up and with a 16 month old son I start to wonder that myself.

So the question is... will we ever get tired of games? And what will cause it if we do?

Because right now it feels like that if at least more GTAs keeps coming, I will be playing smile.gif

CrocodileDundee

I don't think any of us in the forum will ever get tired of games, I know I wont, I can see myself playing games with my grandchildren when I am 60.

and What part of Sweden do you live in?

Edited by CrocodileDundee
user posted image

Adam Jensen

You will know when you're too old when you stop caring about games. When you start to think that games are boring and useless. That could be...next year or maybe never. Who knows

chrisisking

People have to start realising (give them credit they are coming round icon14.gif ) that gaming is just another HOBBIE! Not something only kids and geeks do, everyone who has an interest in games and enjoys playing games is just delving in a much loved hobbie that is no less valid than fishing, sports or gardening! Video games in the last 20 years has shot into the mainstreme entertainment scene and has actually recently over taken music in sales (I'm sure piracy plays a part in this as well). So just tell your wife/girlfriend that its a hobbie and nothing more or nothing less. Plus if your sitting in the living room playing GTA instead of out fishing, its much easier for your girlfriend to get hold of you to open the pickle jar for her cool.gif

well, nah i don't think so, the gaming generations are changing now and then the excitement on how it'll be in another ten years is pretty big... imagine playing GTA 9 and actually be the player yourself tounge.gif

I can see myself playing games with my grandchildren when I am 60.

I know! I can't wait until my son and I can play GTA VI together in coop

I mean, age 4 and above must be ok for GTA under parental supervision, right? wink.gif

I live in Stockholm

autotheftisgrand

Nahhh.. It won't be, with this new generation that we have that's making games the pinnacle of entertainment. The only problem with them is that they're all talk and no actions i.e: trash talking in multiplayer/online games; but nonetheless the older generations would still continue the video game legacy in prime fashion.

I'm in the teen generation and trust me everywhere I go even if it's a arcade or a computer shop. There's always older people playing games. smile.gif

CrocodileDundee
I can see myself playing games with my grandchildren when I am 60.

I know! I can't wait until my son and I can play GTA VI together in coop

I mean, age 4 and above must be ok for GTA under parental supervision, right? wink.gif

I live in Stockholm

Jaså, Själv bor man uppe i Kiruna.

user posted image

I can't really say because you don't know what is going to happen in 5-10 years time some of us may have drifted away while others may still be playing i hope i am because i want to play video games with my kids when i have them i know my interest in video games will probably go down but i hope it's not so much that i stop playing them.

black_mcgrath

Tell her gaming is just another form of entertainment like seeing a movie. Tell her that it's something you enjoy.

edit: And if you've been playing for 20 - 25 years already do you really think you'll be growing out of it anytime soon?

Depends I think when i'm much older and i got kids the only game i'll be playing is with them. It wont be a sit down in your own room and play all day thing though. A time comes when you have to grow up a bit and take responsibility of your life. Not just play games all day and gain 400 pounds of fat weight.

Youre not too old if you still get entertainment from it. When you dont enjoy it any more then you are too old.

EntropicLqd
....My fiance thinks I'm nuts and wants to know when I will grow up and with a 16 month old son I start to wonder that myself....

As an alleged "grown up" with 2 kids (8 and 9) I can honestly say that if you enjoy gaming you'll keep doing it. You'll most likely obsess less over it, but that's about all.

As you age, and collect responsibilities you have less time to play games but that is no reason to drop it entirely. I'm convinced that gaming can be beneficial as part of a healthy and balanced lifestyle, and as a hobby it's significantly cheaper than buying a season ticket for most football teams and seeing most/all of their matches.

At the end of the day once you've spent time with the family, it's nice to escape for an hour into an alternate reality where there's no pressure to work, pay bills, etc. Just remember, family first, work second, hobbies last, and you'll be fine.

MysteryGamer

Doesn't excitement keep us alive? I don't feel too old I am 23 years old and I am really hyped for Grand Theft Auto IV, I am really looking forward to Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots and Silent Hill 5 as well. It's a great time to be a gamer when videogames are so advanced and graphically incredible.

It's only time to put down the control pad if you truly feel you have had enough icon14.gif . I don't think I will tire of videogames for a very long time.

Also there is no rule where anyone has to "grow up" and have kids thats the individuals choice. Personally I don't want kids that kind of lifestyle it's just not for me I think.

Edited by MysteryGamer

I grew up with the Commodores (64, 128 & Amiga), PC and then PS1, X-Box, PS2 and now the 360.

So I've been playing games for 20-25 years. I'm 34 years old and have never been so excited before the release of a game.

My fiance thinks I'm nuts and wants to know when I will grow up and with a 16 month old son I start to wonder that myself.

So the question is... will we ever get tired of games? And what will cause it if we do?

Because right now it feels like that if at least more GTAs keeps coming, I will be playing smile.gif

Hell yea I'm 25 and I feel the same way about the release. I fell like I'm 8 years old countting down the days till christmas.

As far as your question, I will never be to old. I have a good friend who is 43 years old and still plays and his old man is over 60 years old and he is a hardcore Tiger Woods PGA tour fan.

Transparanoia

You're only as old as you feel.

I feel 60 and I still love my video games. I think you've got plenty of gaming left in you. icon14.gif

MysteryGamer

Come to think of it I only think seriously p*** whipped guys "can't play" videogames sigh.gif because their wife/girlfriend says no biggrin.gif

I will probably be playing games for years to come. I love playing them, cures boredem brilliantly. biggrin.gif

Live your life to the full. If it involves consoles and games, then let it be. cool.gif

I was thinking the same thing. I am only 16 though, but still, I was thinking that this is probably the last time I will have time to play such a great game. IDK, time will tell.

Because right now it feels like that if at least more GTAs keeps coming, I will be playing  smile.gif

You'll be too old for computer games at the same time you'll be too old to watch movies, play chess, joke around and generally enjoy yourself.

I don't think any of us in the forum will ever get tired of games, I know I wont, I can see myself playing games with my grandchildren when I am 60.

Funny because my grandad loves GTA SA, but I hate it, so I gave him my PS2 and games, and now have nothing. sad.gif

Oh well, I'll buy an Xbox360 and GTA4 and then I'll have everything lol. biggrin.gif

Edited by D- Ice

6g8AhC3.jpg

My fiancée is a little like that too, shes always saying am i ever gonna grow up and stop being a big kid lol but she isnt to botherd about me playing video games as long as am not on them all day from 9am to 10pm, never done that before (prolly will with GTA IV tho lmao).

@ EntropicLqd: your absolutely right, like you said: family first, work second, hobbies last. thats absolutely right i agree.

I dont think so. The only reason older people dont play them now is because they didnt grow up with them like we did. Its too hard for them to learn the concepts of games. We grew up with this stuff and we will continue to learn as we get older. Especially the people on this board, because i would say pretty much everyone on this board is a true gamer.

I don't think it's an issue of being too old for games, but as we age our priorities rearrange.

These days I think much while I am playing games and realise one thing, when I am playing games, I am not making money, i'm not making more friends, i'm progressing no further with life. You just gotta look at it that way.

But ofcourse, playing games in spare time will always be a great thing.

MysteryGamer

Because right now it feels like that if at least more GTAs keeps coming, I will be playing  smile.gif

My fiancée is a little like that too, shes always saying am i ever gonna grow up and stop being a big kid lol but she isnt to botherd about me playing video games as long as am not on them all day from 9am to 10pm, never done that before (prolly will with GTA IV tho lmao).

@ EntropicLqd: your absolutely right, like you said: family first, work second, hobbies last. thats absolutely right i agree.

Really? This is what I am talking about she shouldn't be telling you to "grow up" like that, if you enjoy playing videogames then why stop? It sounds like the good ol sham language to me, when us bachelors don't want to marry and take on unnecessary bs.

ppr74, times have changed a lot over the years in the videogame world. Where as society may still be stuck in the past and still have a view that games are for children.....actual game developers know that increasing technology has enabled them to create games that are more adult themed in terms of gameplay and storylines.

A 5 year old may have fun on pac-man but would have a lot of trouble understanding a complex story in a game like Metal Gear Solid. I remember a recent(ish) interview with the British censor board (BBFC) who now say the average age of a gamer is 31. I have known people who are older than that who play games, most who are married and have children.

People who were born in the 70s and 80s are generally going to be much more interested in games than others who were born in the 50's and 60's. This is simply because those who were born in the 50's and 60's grew up completely without videogames being around during the vast majority of their early youth.

As time goes on, the average age of gamers is going to steadily increase.

Im 18 so hopefully it will be along time from now that i will get bored of gamin, i hope it nevr happens but who knows the future.

zeppelincheetah

my most active time playing videogames is over i think. i started playing videogames when i was 9 or 10 (1993 or so) and became a hardcore gamer in 1997 or so and that continued more or less until 2004 (2003 was a slow year for me). from 2005 on I haven't been as into videogames. and especially recently, the last game I bought was The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, in May of last year... unless you count Grand Theft Auto IV Special Edition which i've already paid in full biggrin.gif

Edited by zeppelincheetah

monkeyman23555

I am 17 and will be playing games for another ( lifespan - 17 ).

Doubt I will ever stop playing biggrin.gif Infact my vice principal at my school plays golf on the wii tounge.gif and he is like 40...

BTW the reason I know that is because we had documentaries to do and I did mine about gaming tounge.gif