Exclusive DLC Theory

gamefarter

I have been thinking recently about why MS would pay 50 mil to have exclusive DLC, and here's what I think may have happened:

R* got together with both MS and Sony executives and explained to them that because they have so many projects in the works, including having to start on a new GTA title, that "... we will unfortunately only have time to make DLC for one of the consoles. We will be taking a blind bid from each company, starting at a 20 mil minimum. Thank you gentelmen, we will be needing your bids by the end of the month."

What do you think the possibility for somthing like this could have happened is? It seems quite plausable to me. But tell me what you think.

No.

Microsoft paid $50 million so that it could use it as a selling point to get people to buy a 360 for GTAIV. There is nothing sinister behind it. It is pure business and something Sony did for GTAIII exclusiveness.

It doesn't work that way, they could've made the DLC for both consoles, it's just - like said above - business. R* doesn't care, they're in it for the money. Even if they somehow wouldn't have the time to make two DLCs (I dunno how it works, do they make two?), they could've ported one.

Yq5y51Y.png

Here's what happened... Sony showed no interest in taking the offer, it went to MS instead.

The simple story reported here already. The other factor that isn't is Sony's costs already tied up. When Dell laptops were catching fire... Sony got burned.. it was their batteries! They also had to cut PS3 prices to the public yet maintain expensive BluRay to keep the PS3 as intended, this ALSO cost them, so they couldn't spend the money MS had for it.

im pretty sure the same Norwegian guy that found hot coffee will figure out some way to play the dlc on ps3 or PC. hacking skillz are insane these days

Blackadder.

im pretty sure the same Norwegian guy that found hot coffee will figure out some way to play the dlc on ps3 or PC. hacking skillz are insane these days

This and Hot Coffee are two completley different things. Hot Coffee was merely switching a flag, this would be fully converting files from the 360 to work on other systems.

@Topic Starter: As others said, for a developer like Rockstar, they could have easily made it for both.

user posted image

50 mil for two episodes, though.

Should be glad that MS thinks 50 mil is what the GTA series is worth.

And don't worry about the PS3 not getting anything. They will. The deal isn't that MS gets everything and Sony gets nothing. That's been stated many times.

Sorry, just had to point that out since everyone is still reading into that Bitbag thing as if everyone and their mother reported the same thing.

I don't see why Microsoft needs to flash cash about just to get Exclusive Downloadable Content. In my opinion its just pure greed Microsoft always gets more than it needs.

And don't worry about the PS3 not getting anything. They will. The deal isn't that MS gets everything and Sony gets nothing. That's been stated many times.

Sorry, just had to point that out since everyone is still reading into that Bitbag thing as if everyone and their mother reported the same thing.

The PS3 will only get small things such as a weapon pack or car pack that the 360 will also get. The 360 will get the exclusive episodic content packs which are substantial in size and quality and will add 20 hours of new gameplay (which is far longer than most entire games these days). This content will be epic.

The PS3 will only get small things such as a weapon pack or car pack that the 360 will also get. The 360 will get the exclusive episodic content packs which are substantial in size and quality and will add 20 hours of new gameplay (which is far longer than most entire games these days). This content will be epic.

First of all, lol.gif at that 20 hours is far longer than most games. Have you SEEN games these days (GTA is going to be 100 hrs long)? And it's 10 hours, not 20. That alone made your post lacking logic.

And plus, again, we must point out that no where did Rockstar say anything about any other "episodes" being exclusive. That was Microsoft that was claimed to claim that, and we all KNOW their track record lately.

And how do you know that they will be "epic"? Have you SEEN this content yet? If you have, would you mind sharing it with the people who would love to know more than what we know and what many rumors we're fed.

Oh, and they do want to make more. Rockstar has made clear they want to.

Well said darkpower.. yeah i heard the 360 is only getting 2 extra missions i may be wrong.

First of all, lol.gif at that 20 hours is far longer than most games. Have you SEEN games these days (GTA is going to be 100 hrs long)? And it's 10 hours, not 20. That alone made your post lacking logic.

And plus, again, we must point out that no where did Rockstar say anything about any other "episodes" being exclusive. That was Microsoft that was claimed to claim that, and we all KNOW their track record lately.

And how do you know that they will be "epic"? Have you SEEN this content yet? If you have, would you mind sharing it with the people who would love to know more than what we know and what many rumors we're fed.

i hope you're right.. GTA will be the only game i purchase extra stuff for smile.gif

It'll be so damn good that game.

(For you over me, i'm pretty sure you'r wrong, or else that would've been hell of som long missions)

i hope you're right.. GTA will be the only game i purchase extra stuff for smile.gif

It'll be so damn good that game.

(For you over me, i'm pretty sure you'r wrong, or else that would've been hell of som long missions)

Well, all Rockstar has to do is make an official announcement. They seem to be like "we want to do it" and "we're pretty much going to" and everything to say they are without saying they are (if that makes sense).

The main thing that I keep going back to is Barerra's "we want this game to last for years" quote in the US PS Magazine, because it's so substantial. How else would you keep a game "lasting" that long without supplying an extension of some kind, and why would he tell a PSM editor that if they didn't plan on releasing new stuff for the game on that console? Even if what the editor said he said wasn't a technical quote, I've seen that type of thing done many times as a space saver technique.

Usually, the people who say that the PS3 is getting nothing at all has either read the Bitbag article or has heard about it somewhere. Can't believe someone who couldn't string together a complete thought into a complete sentence is so loved by the 360 fans (maybe because his words were what they wanted to hear).

And also, that wouldn't be the first lie MS gave. I counted at least 12 they gave within these two months, 3 of which were about GTA4. Putting those three in with the other 9, as well, and you have yourself a bunch of unreliable people who want to spin stuff over there at MS.

It doesn't work that way, they could've made the DLC for both consoles, it's just - like said above - business. R* doesn't care, they're in it for the money. Even if they somehow wouldn't have the time to make two DLCs (I dunno how it works, do they make two?), they could've ported one.

I agree they are in if for the money, so that is why I think R* may have pitted MS and Sony against each other, making them bid for the content. They probably could have said we will give you each 2 episodes of DLC for 25 million each, and still made money. So my thought is that they could have doubled the value of the episodic contents by making it exclusive to one console. So R* walks away with 50 million and only having to make exclusive DLC for one console instead of two. That is all about geting the same money for half the work. I know people like to blame MS for being greedy, but this could fall in R*'s lap as far as we know. Perhaps they are the ones taking advantage of the GTA name, by making the different console makers compete with each other to get DLC, giving R* the advantage. Is this starting to make sense yet?

Gourangalol

I own a 360, and i'm glad we're getting exclusive episodic content, yet it does suck that the ps3 owners will miss out on it. At the end of the day, its all about profit R* want to make money, so do MS, you can bitch all day but at the end of it all, the bigger bidder won IMO.

I don't see why Microsoft needs to flash cash about just to get Exclusive Downloadable Content. In my opinion its just pure greed Microsoft always gets more than it needs.

Its no different to what sony did with GTA on the PS2, but no one seems to complain about that.

Blindfutur3

Agree with most of your post, but the guy you quoted has a point! Most games these days are less than 20 hours long, some are less than 10 hours. Just because GTA will be 100 hours doesn't mean anything, that one game doesn't speak for them all! Almost all FPS's these days are under 10 hours, most TPS's are. Its really only RPG's that tend to have long single player experiences!

chrisisking

Its no different to what sony did with GTA on the PS2, but no one seems to complain about that.

Thats because xbox had only just come out that exact same year that GTAIII had, the PS2 had been out for a while and had more owners. Also MS and Nintendo didn't want the controversy GTA may have and did cause under their belt but Sony saw GTA as an oppurtunity and took it, boy didn't it half pay off for both Sony and R* smile.gif

I have been thinking recently about why MS would pay 50 mil to have exclusive DLC, and here's what I think may have happened:

R* got together with both MS and Sony executives and explained to them that because they have so many projects in the works, including having to start on a new GTA title, that "... we will unfortunately only have time to make DLC for one of the consoles. We will be taking a blind bid from each company, starting at a 20 mil minimum. Thank you gentelmen, we will be needing your bids by the end of the month."

What do you think the possibility for somthing like this could have happened is? It seems quite plausable to me. But tell me what you think.

suicidal.gif

Too movieplot-ish to be real. Blind bids are stupid, as they aren't going to get nearly as much money as they could. I'm betting Microsoft apporached rockstar. Its really just an idea to sell the 360 version to people with both consoles (like me smile.gif)

Thats because xbox had only just come out that exact same year that GTAIII had, the PS2 had been out for a while and had more owners. Also MS and Nintendo didn't want the controversy GTA may have and did cause under their belt but Sony saw GTA as an oppurtunity and took it, boy didn't it half pay off for both Sony and R* smile.gif

I take by that you mean that its only Sony fanboys who complain and that xbox fans by comparision arent whinging little children?

Because if thats not what you meant then I cant see how your post logically follows from mine dontgetit.gif

CharmingCharlie

I think probably what is closer to the truth is Rockstar were running out of money, they probably didn't want to go "exclusive" at all this generation because they did so much to get out of the original Sony exclusive contract. However for one reason or another they needed money to finish GTA 4.

They probably approached Sony first, but Sony were not really interested coupled with communication problems with Sony Japan meant Rockstar popped along to MS HQ. I don't think GTA 4 as an exclusive was ever on the cards. I don't know if the DLC content was MS's idea or Rockstars, suffice to say MS gave Rockstar a $50 million advance (ie loan) so they could carry on and finish GTA 4 . It is kinda ironic that MS loaned 50 million it earned from sales of a PC operating system to fund completion of a game on the 360 and PS3.

That is my pet theory anyway.