need help!

callmeNikoBellic

Velvet_Revolver
i wanted to know how hdmi is connected to the xbox 360 do i just need the hdmi cable? or do i need the xbox 360 sound adapter also?

depends what 360 you got? and when you got it

the core/arcade doesn't have an HDMI output

the premium only had one from August 2007

the Elite has always had one

hope that helps

and i think it's correct

callmeNikoBellic
i wanted to know how hdmi is connected to the xbox 360 do i just need the hdmi cable? or do i need the xbox 360 sound adapter also?

hope that helps

and i think it's correct

actually i just got a new arcade yesterday and it does have hdmi

i just wanted to know how to hook it up.

thanks

Velvet_Revolver

hope that helps

and i think it's correct

actually i just got a new arcade yesterday and it does have hdmi

i just wanted to know how to hook it up.

thanks

yeah sorry my bad

i assumed the arcade was a straight replacement for the core, didn't check before i posted. apologies

to hook it up you'll most probably need a HDTV that has a HDMI input on it

Guessing if its anything like the PS3 both sound and video outputs wold be through the HDMI cable therefore no need for a Sound adapter

It depends what quality of sound you want.

HDMI carries both video and audio and if 2-channel stereo is all you want you can use a generic HDMI cable and get the sound through the TV via the TV's sound pass-thru to an audio receiver. However you can't pass through full 5.1 digital audio this way. (It doesn't work, I've tried it.)

If you want 5.1 digital surround sound you'll need the Microsoft HDMI cable kit, which is included with the Xbox 360 Elite but $50 otherwise, and a Toslink (optical) cable to connect to an audio receiver. (Some people without the Elite disassemble the Toslink audio adapter from the component cable to avoid the $50 cost, but the correct choice is probably to buy the Elite in the first place.) Using Toslink is particularly recommended if you watch movies with the Xbox 360 because the sound is about 1000% better.

With 5.1 surround can get accurate positional surround sound in games, for example you can hear footsteps coming from over your right shoulder. In GTA you could hear which way a car is going with your back turned to it. Without 5.1 you can decode Dolby Surround from two channels but this contains only a single rear channel so you don't get very good positional sound this way.