Modded almost every car, but it flickers.

S_G

My Plan

Well, I've been working on creating a total car conversion mod for San Andreas (for personal use for now, I don't have permission for any of the cars). Basically, I've replaced almost every main vehicle in the game with high-quality versions of either its real-life counterpart, or something similar, but ALL of the cars are from the San Andreas or older era (meaning no cars newer than 1996, even though I am well aware that this game takes place before that year). There have been some exceptions, such as when I have been unable to find a suitable replacement (like the bus). I'm currently working on customizing their handling (mostly, acceleration and deceleration is what I'm trying to fix; I hate it when a car stops immediately when you let go of the gas).

The Problem

Anyhow, I've got a few other mods installed here and there, but they're all relatively small. Other than the cars, the only other major mod I have installed is SRt3. Now, I've noticed that with this large gta3.img file, the game flickers a LOT. It can be somewhat remedied by turning the draw distance down as low as possible, but it still flickers a bit and sometimes takes a while to load building textures and objects.

I've tried using Sacky's SA Limit Adjuster, but it only makes matters worse in a different way. By setting streaming memory to 100MB -- this seems to be a good amount, the flickering disappears without causing the well-known audio error crashing -- I can play just fine with my cars. BUT, after about 2-3 minutes of playing, cars JUST STOP SPAWNING! It's very irritating. I'll be on the highway, and other than my own car, there will only be one AI vehicle in my view at any given time. Peds seem to spawn just fine, it's just a vehicle problem.

Help!

Basically, that's it. Without the limit adjuster, the game flickers like a disco party on coke. The limit adjuster only creates a worse problem (only one car spawns at any given time). Help me out! What can I do about this? How can I have so many cars modded without the game flickering so much?

And this is no low-end system. I'm using a 112SP 8800GTS 640MB, E6550 @ 3.2GHz and 2GB of RAM at 800 CL4.

Edited by S_G

You're not gonna like this ... but it sounds like your game is modded too much considering your PC's specs.

Basically there's 4 possible causes

a ) Your CPU speed is too low (probably)

b ) Your graphics card can't handle all the high-detail textures (likely)

c ) Too little memory (possibly)

d ) Your hard drives can't read all the different files fast enough (possibly)

I'm aware that an 8mb car sounds more detailed than a 4mb one, but the game engine really won't show much of a difference apart from a certain performance decrease.

Reducing your resolution might help a bit if it's a CPU or graphics card related issue. But you'll pay for that with reduced graphics.

As you mentioned, reducing the draw distance helped, which indeed points to your system being too low-spec. (sorry, but that's just what your description of your problem sounds like).

Your PC should be perfectly capable to handle srt3 or a full carset, but I'm not too sure about the combination of both.

Well, I've checked it out, and neither my graphics card's memory nor my system memory are being fully utilized by the game, so that's not an issue. My CPU and memory are running rather fast, even at 3.5GHz the problem occurs at the same period of playing. My computer can't go any faster, as GTASA is not a multithreaded game; despite this, not even my first core is being 100% used while playing.

I've reduced my resolution, and it's still occurring. Not much else I can do here. I'm going to try reinstalling my drivers.

Thats definitely not a graphics card problem, I have also modded all the cars inc Andromeda hydra firetruck etc. And mods are new garage replacement in san fierro, new petrol station particle mod is Xtreme graphics mod etc. I dont have any problems with car spawning but i got some serious prob with draw distance.And the most irritating part is while in some missions I cant see my enemy, I mean the enemy pointers shows over his head but the enemy is invisible, and the only way to kill them are whether by punching an invisible enemy or using rocket launcher at their feet.

I think that it has something to do with the limit or increasing something at stream.ini file. And the gta3.img file size is 1.32+ gb.

Are you using a dual-screen setup? When problems such as this occur, I usually have all my system data tools on my secondary screen so I get real-time analysis while the game is actually running.

If you alt-tab out of San Andreas to check those data, the game runs only in the background, in which case it barely uses any system resources. So be sure to read those data while the game is acutally being played.

I'm running a 1.8 GHz single-core AMD Sempron 3000+, 1.5GB of DDR2 400 RAM, Radeon X1300 (256MB) and run the game in 1440x900. No problems whatsoever ... untill I install srt3, which makes my framerate drop from perfectly normal to only a few fps

The difference between having San Andreas running in the foreground and the background is huge on my PC, even with an unmodified game.

Are you using a dual-screen setup? When problems such as this occur, I usually have all my system data tools on my secondary screen so I get real-time analysis while the game is actually running.

If you alt-tab out of San Andreas to check those data, the game runs only in the background, in which case it barely uses any system resources. So be sure to read those data while the game is acutally being played.

I'm running a 1.8 GHz single-core AMD Sempron 3000+, 1.5GB of DDR2 400 RAM, Radeon X1300 (256MB) and run the game in 1440x900. No problems whatsoever ... untill I install srt3, which makes my framerate drop from perfectly normal to only a few fps

The difference between having San Andreas running in the foreground and the background is huge on my PC, even with an unmodified game.

Yes, but I wasn't using the second monitor at the time. I was playing SA in windowed mode at 1440x900 (to leave room for other windows).

Ah ha! Not sure what I did exactly, but I changed the ped and vehicle density in salimits, added the wonderful ENBSeries to saloader, and reinstalled my video card drivers and it seems to have improved. After some time, the number of cars dwindles down to about 4-6 max, but it's an improvement! And while searching for clues, I came across another hack that FINALLY allows me to get better engine sounds for a car without having to apply the same sound to 12 others.

Oh, I'm going to have so much fun. Fake HDR, HQ vehicles, cars actually driving, the list goes on! For reference, here are the cars I've got in there now:

AT400 - Boeing 747 AFO.zipAdmiral - Mercedez-Benz 200d.zipAlpha - Porsche 911 Targa.zipAmbulance - 1986 Ford Econoline Ambulance.zipBF-400 - 2005 Honda CBR 600RR.zipBFInjection - Ford Mustang Sandroaster.zipBMX - BMX Custom Long.zipBandito - HL2 Buggy.zipBanshee - Dodge Viper RT10.rarBarracks - 1986 M352A.zipBike - 2005 Daalyman's Classic Bikes.zipBlade - 1966 Pontiac Bonneville - Lowrider Edition.zipBlistac - Audi S2.zipBloodring Banger - Flatout2 Malice.zipBobcat - 1985 GMC Sierra 2500.zipBravura - 1989 Nissan Silvia S13 v1.zipBroadway - 1948 Ford Convertible.zipBuccaneer - 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle SS.zipBuffalo -pref Chevy Camaro IROC-Z.zipBullet - Ford GT40.zipBurrito - Ford e150.zipCabbie - 1977 Checker.zipCadrona - 1996 Honda Integra.zipCamper - 1967-1979 VW Transporter T2.zipCement - Mercedes-Benz Actros 6x4.zipCheetah - (ggmm)Ferrari Testarossa.zipClover - 1971 Plymouth Duster.zipClub - 2004 VW Golf GTI R32.zipCombine - farm Combine_Harvester.zipComet -pref Porsche 911 Pack.zipDozer - Caterpillar T530.zipDumper - DFT30 Dumper Truck full back loading.zipElegant - 1992 Chevy Opala Diplomata.zipElegant - BMW 750il.zipElegant(Sunrise) -pref 1989 Pontiac Bonneville.zipElegy - Nissan Skyline R34.zipEmperor - SAAB 9000 Anniversary.zipEsperanto - 1978 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe.zipEuros - Nissan 300ZX.zipFBIRancher - 1986 Chevrolet Suburban FBI.zipFCR-900 - Suzuki SV 650 S.zipFaggio - See pizzaboyFeltzer - BMW 325i E36 Convertible.zipFiretruk - Pumper Firetruck Detroit.rarFlash - 1996 Honda Civic.rarFlatbed - Ford Freightliner.zipForklift - Heftruck v2.zipFortune - 1993 Ford Thunderbird.zipFreeway - Harley-Davidson Sholvehead Chopper v2.1.zipGlendale Glensh*t - NA (68 Plymouth Fury)Greenwood - 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS.zipHermes - NA (51 Mercury)Hotknife - 1932 Ford Roadster HotRod.zipHotring A - 1972 DeTomaso Pantera.zipHotring B - Nascar CAT.zipHunter - SA U.S.Army Apache.rarHuntley - Land Rover Discovery 2.zipHustler - 1934 Ford Hotrod.zipHydra - Y-F19 Macross Fighter (Final Version).zipInfernus - Honda NSX.rarIntruder - Peugeot 309 GR.zipJester -pref 1997 Toyota Supra TwinTurbo.zipJourney - Ford SA Journey.zipKart - NA (go-kart)Landstalker -pref Toyota FJ62.zipLeviathan - Boeing CH-47 Chinook.zipLinerunner - NA (check back afterwards for trucks and freight)Linerunner - Peterbilt 359.zipLinerunner et Artict1 - 2005 Scania P 420 et Remorques.zipMajestic - 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo v2.rarManana - NA (ugly 2dr; should be Dodge Aries)Maverick - Hughes 500 D.zipMerit - Maserati Quattroporte.zipMesa - 1986 Jeep Wrangler 4.0.zipMonster A - SA Dodge Ram King Monster Truck.zipMonster B - 1986 Chevrolet Blazer K5 Monster Edition.zipMonster Truck - 2005 Ford F150 Monster Truck.zipMoonbeam -pref 1987 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE.zipMountain Bike - VTT Specialized Hardrock Pro.zipMower - Mower Tuning The s car.zipMule - NA (dunno)NRG-500 - Yamaha M1 v2.0 Final.zipNebula - Toyota Avensis 2.0 16v VVT-i D4 Executive.zipOceanic -notpreferred 1959 Chevrolet Belair.zipPCJ-600 - Ducati 996 S.zipPacker - Peterbilt Packer.zipPatriot - 1986 Hummer Civilian Vehicle.zipPerennial - 1985 Mercedes 200TE.zipPhoenix -notpreferred Knight Industries Two Thousand.zipPicador - 1972 Chevrolet El Camino.zipPizzaboy - Faggio - 1972 Vespa N 50.rarPony - NAPremier - 1991 Chevy Caprice Sedan.rarPrevion - Volvo 850 Turbo.zipPrimo - 1997 Toyota Camry 2.2 LE.zipQuad - Honda Sportrax 250EX.zipRancher - 1986 Chevrolet Blazer K5 Stock.zipRegina - 1981 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park.zipRemington - 1973 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Lowrider.zipRhino - M1A1 Abrams.zipRnchlure - Porsche Cayenne.zipRoadtrain - NA (See Linerunner)Romero - 1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Hearse.zipRumpo - Moskvich 434.zipRustler - A-10 Warthog.zipSabre - Shelby GT500E.zipSadler - Ford F-150.zipSanchez - Honda CRF450R Tune.zipSandking - NASavanna - NASentinel - BMW 540i (e34).zipShamal - NASlamvan - 1949 Ford F1 Pickup Hotrod.zipSolair - Volvo V40 Station Wagon.zipStafford - 1965-1977 Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn.zipStallion - 1965 Ford Mustang.zipStratum - Normally a station wagon, but screw itStratum - Vauxhall Monaro Carbon Textures.zipStratum - Vauxhall Monaro.zipStretch - 1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Limousine.zipStuntplane - NASultan - Subaru Impreza WRX STI V1.6.zipSunrise - Mitsubishi Galant.zipSupergt - Ferrari 575 Superamerica v2.zipTahoma(Vincent) -pref Oldsmobile Cutlass.rarTampa - 1976 Chevy Nova.zipTanker - Peterbilt 289.zipTaxi - 1991 Chevrolet Caprice Taxi.zipTornado - NA (old bel air lowrider)Tow - 1966 Chevrolet C20 Towtruck v1.02.zipTractor - NATram - New SF Tram.zipTurismo - Ferrari 250 GTO LM.zipUranus(Alpha) - Mitsubishi Eclipse.zipVincent - Bentley Arnage.zipVirgo - 1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV.zipVoodoo - 1963 Chevrolet Impala Lowrider.zipWalton - GAZ M-20 Pobeda pickup.zipWalton - NA (Old pickup, wooden back)Washington - 1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.zipWayfarer - Harley Davidson Road King.zipWillard - NA (Dodge Dynasty)Windsor - BMW 507 Roadster.zipYosemite - 1986 Chevrolet Silverado.zipZR-350 - 1991 Mazda RX-7.zip

I haven't sorted the list properly though. Some cars are still unreplaced, some have been temporarily (or accidentally) replaced with vehicles that are far too new (like the Sultan / WRX STI), but I'll get around to fine-tuning my list of cars eventually.

Thanks for your help guys. Now, if only I had the time to fix the handling (acceleration/deceleration) for all those cars!

Edited by S_G

A goodie for replacing the Savanna is the 1963 Impala, you can get it here.

98% Of guys surrounded their minds with rice burners, imports and euro**** through their teen years, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with real muscle, put this in your signature.

Ricers suck ass. Didn't you know that a Chev 427 big-block eats Ferraris for breakfast, lol. Then stick a blower on and watch the difference. You can have a 2000HP street car with that combo. It's not a matter of power-per-litre, it's a matter of torque... my lug nuts require more torque than a Lancer Evo does. When will ricers EVER learn? Oh, and put this in your sig if you agree. HONDA = HOW ODD, NO DAMN ACCELERATION. Stupid ricers. Don't forget eurotrash lovers LOL. Yep, they're just as ignorant too... no wonder they don't drag race Ferraris, Porsches, Bugattis, or FYI, rice burners. They can suck my d!ck.

• 8 months later...

biggrin.gif i had the same problem took out cars that where hi poly mods, and some other cars that where causing the graphic problem. ,i used the ggmm tool which when you animate the cars you car see the cars that are slow , cause problems in the game (the ones that turn slow in comparison to others, or don't show up right) worked great for me only 3 cars left to change no problems what so ever. the only problem was i hated to let the nicer looking hi quality mods go, but worth it for performance. , p.s. suicidal.gif make back-ups of you files just in case your un happy with results to be safe!!!!!!!!!!! icon14.gif

Edited by tomgun

pretty sure this mod is dead bro.

WbZaxRP.png

My Plan

Well, I've been working on creating a total car conversion mod for San Andreas (for personal use for now, I don't have permission for any of the cars). Basically, I've replaced almost every main vehicle in the game with high-quality versions of either its real-life counterpart, or something similar, but ALL of the cars are from the San Andreas or older era (meaning no cars newer than 1996, even though I am well aware that this game takes place before that year). There have been some exceptions, such as when I have been unable to find a suitable replacement (like the bus). I'm currently working on customizing their handling (mostly, acceleration and deceleration is what I'm trying to fix; I hate it when a car stops immediately when you let go of the gas).

The Problem

Anyhow, I've got a few other mods installed here and there, but they're all relatively small. Other than the cars, the only other major mod I have installed is SRt3. Now, I've noticed that with this large gta3.img file, the game flickers a LOT. It can be somewhat remedied by turning the draw distance down as low as possible, but it still flickers a bit and sometimes takes a while to load building textures and objects.

I've tried using Sacky's SA Limit Adjuster, but it only makes matters worse in a different way. By setting streaming memory to 100MB -- this seems to be a good amount, the flickering disappears without causing the well-known audio error crashing -- I can play just fine with my cars. BUT, after about 2-3 minutes of playing, cars JUST STOP SPAWNING! It's very irritating. I'll be on the highway, and other than my own car, there will only be one AI vehicle in my view at any given time. Peds seem to spawn just fine, it's just a vehicle problem.

Help!

Basically, that's it. Without the limit adjuster, the game flickers like a disco party on coke. The limit adjuster only creates a worse problem (only one car spawns at any given time). Help me out! What can I do about this? How can I have so many cars modded without the game flickering so much?

And this is no low-end system. I'm using a 112SP 8800GTS 640MB, E6550 @ 3.2GHz and 2GB of RAM at 800 CL4.

Search google for Stream Fix