Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page?

devilrock28

devilrock28

Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy page are both great guitarists. But who do you think would win in a guitar battle?

I would have a hard time choosing since I love both bands and they are both great musicians.

Jimmi Hendrix would most probably win. Unless he set his strings alight, then, he would lose.

To be f*cking honest, I don't dig Jimi Hendrix. He brought some new stuff to guitar-playing, but apart from that, I don't understand the mojo around him. He was just as sloppy as Page is said to be, if not worse. Jimmy Page, however, was a good songwriter* and quite the innovator when it came to recording.

Besides, most of his "apprentices", so to speak, play his stuff better than he ever did. Look at Stevie Ray Vaughn or John Mayer.

* don't come forth with your plagiarism bullsh*t. Live, when announcing the song they were gonna play, they acknowledged that the song was a blues song one of the members picked up along the way.

Edited by Canoxa

ZMHer.png

TcLvb.pngGyRHV.png

just another thug

I don't understand how guitarists can battle when music is largely subjective.

user posted image

I'm not setting them up for a battle and I'm not stating the absolute truth, I'm offering my opinion to whoever wants to read it.

ZMHer.png

TcLvb.pngGyRHV.png

Both artists are/were overrated and critically acclaimed. They played in different eras of the hard rock genre, and even if they still played psychadelic rock/hard rock, their ways of playing were extremely opposite. But Hendrix was a guitar of his own, he expressed how he felt, and tripped from agony and pain to love and peace in a single note.

Jimmy Page is a very good hard rock guitarist, but thats all. He simply played good. Didn't express himself with a guitar at all.

I think what kept me listening to Led Zep was John Bonham. He played drums as he went from anger to power and sentimentalism.

So Hendrix would win definitely. His guitar playing comes from the soul, it speaks to whoever is listening.

Suction Testicle Ban

The Unvirginiser

I think Page is more origional, whole lotta love is a unique guitar solo

Besides, most of his "apprentices", so to speak, play his stuff better than he ever did. Look at Stevie Ray Vaughn or John Mayer.

I completely disagree with this. Two of the most overrated (and sh*tty) guitarists in history.

I don't think Hendrix would want to engage in a guitar battle to be honest, so he'd probably lose by default. However, seeing as Hendrix died in his prime, while Page went on to be a heroin addict and from ~1975 onwards Zeppelin was terrible, I would cast my vote for Hendrix.

Plus, Frusciante loves him more than salad, and Frusciante is my favourite (crack) musician ever.

"You can play faster than Al Di Meola and do it with only one pinky, but if you're not listening to what is going on around you, you might as well just shut up"

isn't your croth suppose to be erecting when you have an orgasm?

I completely disagree with this. Two of the most overrated (and sh*tty) guitarists in history.

What now? I would understand if you put down John Mayer, I don't quite care enough for him; I applaud his turnaround musically but that's it. To dismiss Stevie Ray Vaughn on the other matter...

I don't think Hendrix would want to engage in a guitar battle to be honest, so he'd probably lose by default.

I honestly don't think However, any respectable guitarist or musician would engage proudly on a battle of such kind.

seeing as Hendrix died in his prime, while Page went on to be a heroin addict and from ~1975 onwards Zeppelin was terrible, I would cast my vote for Hendrix.

Fair enough.

Plus, Frusciante loves him more than salad, and Frusciante is my favourite (crack) musician ever.

If I wanted to be slightly mean, I would say Frusciante loved Slovak as much. And back to my original point of how good Hendrix's apprentices were. However, I won't. Kudos fellow Froosh fan.

ZMHer.png

TcLvb.pngGyRHV.png

Page couldn't improvise like Hendrix did. I guess that's a resume of it all.

Suction Testicle Ban

tommy vs. claude

But who do you think would win in a guitar battle?

Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Hendrix had emotion, and Page had technical prowess and natural talent.

I can't choose, and I've been pondering this question, for quite a while. But I know if I were to make an ultimate band, I'd take Page as a rhythm guitarist and Hendrix as a lead.

All that said, I like Page's music better than Hendrix's.

Personally I prefer Hendrix, but to be honest either is awesome depending upon the mood i'm in.

I think the main thing to remember is though, no one can win in music.

user posted image

no one can win in music.

Would be better to say "no one loses" maybe?

I think Vanilla Ice loses.

Suction Testicle Ban

To dismiss Stevie Ray Vaughn on the other matter...

I think Dan Auerbach said it best: "SRV is a bloated cokehead from the '80's and I think his music's boring." (Paraphrased from a quote in a guitar magazine.)

"You can play faster than Al Di Meola and do it with only one pinky, but if you're not listening to what is going on around you, you might as well just shut up"

isn't your croth suppose to be erecting when you have an orgasm?

just another thug

I think Dan Auerbach said it best: "SRV is a bloated cokehead from the '80's and I think his music's boring." (Paraphrased from a quote in a guitar magazine.)

This is why the Black Keys are totally awesome.

user posted image

I don't think you can really compare the two. I like both of their directions, style and what category of music they produce. I'd have to say Page though as I'm more familiar with his work than Hendrix, truth be told. I've got a fair few albums of Led Zeppelin's and only one of Hendrix's (Electric Ladyland). Besides, I've loved Black Dog for as long as I can remember so I'm ever so slightly biased. icon14.gif

Both of the artists discussed in this topic were drug users.

However, JAT makes such a valid point.

ZMHer.png

TcLvb.pngGyRHV.png

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.