4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

David.

Official F1 Topic

Mark
Singapore is the night race.

Kicking off the race at 8pm. Its lit really well though so doubt there will be loads of difference.

I believe Australia will soon join Singapore with having an evening race.

Atm, with the timezones being the way they are, the Australian GP doesn't get as much live exposure by holding it in the day compared to night. They were threatening to take it away from us but we gave in and will now be having it under lights.

Not exactly sure when it's going to start from though. And I'm too lazy to look for it. Any takers?

From what I've heard the Aus authorities weren't keen on a fully night race, instead just preferring to move to slot to later in the afternoon. It'd still be daytime, but a bit more suitable for European audiences. Not to mention, I've heard also that the local residents aren't always that happy having to put up with a race there all the time. It's been a while since the switch from Adelaide to Melbourne. Meh I dunno.

@Jay: Now that you mention it...yeah! tounge.gif.

Hodgey.

I can see in the future Australian grand prix moving there time slot backwards, i cant see it being a night race probaly like you said Mark a afternoon race. I think that if they refuse to do either option that we will probably lose the Australian race, which will be a shame as its a great opener.

Jay

I would love to see the Australian GP return to Adelaide.

I never went to any of the GPs held here, and even then I was cut when they shipped out in 1995.

The thing is though,

Adelaide Street Circuit > Sliced Bread > Some mild form of soft tissue injury > Albert Park

Soon after the Australian GP left town, we replaced it with the Clipsal 500, which pwns. I'd struggle to see both events being held at around the same time of the year.

Stefan.

Albert Park track is awesome; I once went for a jog along it, and it was awesome. I wasn't as fast as the F1 cars, but still...it was done pretty quickly. tounge.gif

!!GC!!
Am I the only one who sees the outline of the F1 circuit of Nurbergring as a child with a skipping rope?

I don't see it, unless that have a giant, pointy ass.

Hodgey.
Albert Park track is awesome; I once went for a jog along it, and it was awesome. I wasn't as fast as the F1 cars, but still...it was done pretty quickly. tounge.gif

Well Stefan if you could jog as fast as a F1 car youd probably be a rich git by now.

Mark

Well Stefan if you could jog as fast as a F1 car youd probably be a rich git by now.

Indeed. It's only 3.3 miles long anyway, shouldn't take that long to jog. Still, I doubt you'd be beating Schumacher's 1:24.125 on foot. Unless you're actually Hancock.

H4milton

Indeed. It's only 3.3 miles long anyway, shouldn't take that long to jog. Still, I doubt you'd be beating Schumacher's 1:24.125 on foot. Unless you're actually Hancock.

HAHA LOL biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

He jogged arnd the map of Albert Park

Stefan.

HAHA LOL biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

He jogged arnd the map of Albert Park

No, I actually jogged along the actual Albert Park. It actually is a park, and when it's not grand prix season, it's open to the public at all times, with the track being a road which goes around it. The road has a running track next to, so I pretty much ran around the entire circuit. Of course, there are traffic lights at (for memory) turn 5 and turn 13, so it looks a little bit different. I'll try and dig up some pictures of the park in it's non grand-prix phase.

Picture of Albert Park. The stretch of road is inbetween turns 5 and 6.

Hodgey.

Well some news about F1 recently.

First off i suppose everybody has heard about David Couthard retiring:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/7/8033.html

Itll be sad to see DC go, but thats the way sports is.

And sescond how from 2010 they wont be racing at Silverstone anymore for the GB grand prix its being moved to Donnington Park:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/7/8039.html

Be fun to see the F1 GB grand prix somewhere different.

Mark

Christ, the days of Donington were f*cking awesome. I'm glad to see it back there smile.gif.

Hodgey.
Christ, the days of Donington were f*cking awesome. I'm glad to see it back there smile.gif.

Has F1 ever been to Donnington before? Or are you on about Moto GP cos i know they race there.

Stefan.

Yeah, F1 used to be at Donnington, but only for one race though.

Donington Park was the host of the 1993 European Grand Prix on 11 April 1993, which was affected by rain. The race was notable for the dominance of Ayrton Senna where he won the race by over 1 minute from Damon Hill, having advanced from fifth to first in less than two-thirds of the opening lap.

This race was described by AtlasF1 as the 'Drive of the Decade'. There is a memorial to Senna in the grounds of the racetrack, outside a shop selling motorsports memorabilia.

On 4 July 2008, Bernie Ecclestone announced that Donington Park will hold the British Grand Prix from 2010 onwards in a 10-year deal. The track will need a major upgrade (and probably modification to the layout) to get it up to the standards required for modern day Formula One racing.

I wonder who'll replace Coulthard once he finally retires. It's a pity though; he's always been one of, if not, my favourite driver.

In other Red Bull Racing news, Mark Webber has extended his contract with Red Bull, where they announced that Sebastien Vettel might be David's replacement.

Red Bull Racing have confirmed Mark Webber will stay at the team in the 2009 season after extending his current contract. The new deal, for one year, means Australian Webber will race for Red Bull for the third straight year.

"We are delighted to confirm the extension of Mark's relationship into 2009," said team boss Christian Horner. "It was a straightforward and short discussion process."

Webber added: "It was pretty easy. Coming here last year I settled in quickly.... We have consistently performed. It's an ambitious environment and we can be proud of our season so far."

The announcement comes just hours after David Coulthard revealed he is retiring from Formula One racing at the end of the current season. Red Bull did not name their second driver for 2009, although Toro Rosso's Sebastian Vettel is believed to be the favourite for the drive.

!!GC!!

Damn, it will be sad to see DC drive his final race.

He was a great driver. He was my favourite in '99 when he drove for McLaren.

Stefan.

I remember when he won the '03 grand prix at Albert Park. I don't think I've seen a more convincing drive than that one. Pity half the time I was sleeping (I had the flu), but my mum taped it and the next weekend, I was stunned.

Hodgey.
Yeah, F1 used to be at Donnington, but only for one race though.

Donington Park was the host of the 1993 European Grand Prix on 11 April 1993' date=' which was affected by rain. The race was notable for the dominance of Ayrton Senna where he won the race by over 1 minute from Damon Hill, having advanced from fifth to first in less than two-thirds of the opening lap.

This race was described by AtlasF1 as the 'Drive of the Decade'. There is a memorial to Senna in the grounds of the racetrack, outside a shop selling motorsports memorabilia.

[/quote']

Ahh ok i missed that race then as i would of only been 3/4 years old. Plus the 100mil Donington have said they will invest should make the place alot better for the 2010 race.

Stefan.

I wasn't even born then. Even though they'll say it needs to be 're-designed', I doubt it will be unrecognisable.

H4milton

Tomorrow will be a race of luck for the front rowers, if Webber and Kovalainen manage to stay put on the first lap, they might have a chance, as the firing HAmilton and Iceman, behind them.

Go, Webber.....

Hodgey.
Tomorrow will be a race of luck for the front rowers, if Webber and Kovalainen manage to stay put on the first lap, they might have a chance, as the firing HAmilton and Iceman, behind them.

Go, Webber.....

No way will Webber win. His car is no were near good enough in race situations. Is the Red Bull car a goodqualifier yes it is, but going and looking back on how its performed in races this year, snt good. He will at least drop a few places maybe 4th or 5th but he wont be on the podium.

H4milton
No way will Webber win. His car is no were near good enough in race situations. Is the Red Bull car a goodqualifier yes it is, but going and looking back on how its performed in races this year, snt good. He will at least drop a few places maybe 4th or 5th but he wont be on the podium.

Ya, my thoughts are similar like yours, Webber may hold on the second place for a couple of laps and will drop the pace of kimi and hamilton, and when Heikki will take the full advantage and may secure his career's first win.

Stefan.

God, some Australians are blinded by national pride. Now that Webber's on the front row, "Oh yeah, he'll win for sure!" I'm bloody sick of it. He's nowhere near as good enough to win a race, so I'll doubt he'll get higher than 3rd place, unless half the field crashes out on the first lap.

Jay

God, some Australians are blinded by national pride. Now that Webber's on the front row, "Oh yeah, he'll win for sure!" I'm bloody sick of it. He's nowhere near as good enough to win a race, so I'll doubt he'll get higher than 3rd place, unless half the field crashes out on the first lap.

WEBRAR!!

Mav.

WEBRAR!!

Oh yeah, he'll win for sure!

Waddy

I dont think he will win but it would be nice to see Red Bull and Webber be competitive with Mclaren and Ferrari for this race.

See if the team and the driver can keep up.

!!GC!!

Im going for Massa on this race.

It'd be good take him take this one out too.

Just for the hell of it:

WEBBER!!

AndyGanteks

The race is awesome and interesting.

The rain is stronger then ever, and drivers are dropping like flies.

Seddo

The rain has stopped now and the clouds are parting, although the track is still wet as anything.

Edit: LOL at Raikkonen, he was going to fast and i'm sure he was meant to pit but he missed and spun his car lol.gif.

Barrichello is still on wet tyres aswell and the track is drying up pretty fast now, he'll have to change soon.

Kubicza is now out of the race aswell. And now Button is out. Still dropping like flies Andy tounge.gif.

Edited by Seddo

AndyGanteks

Baricello overtook Alonso, and is now 3rd.

Glock is out now as well. Who's next orly.gif

Seddo

Bloody Hell, Hamilton now has a 60 odd second lead over 2nd placed Heidfeld now and 3rd place Barrichello still needs to pit because apparently the fuel pump never worked or something along those lines.

Jay

WEBRAR!!

FIRST LAP SPINOUT!!