3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

David.

Official F1 Topic

Yatesyz

Just as I thought Hamilton comes first in qualifying. Trulli did well coming 4th in qualifying and a disappointing 6th for Raikkonen.

Mark
As a replacement, he finished fourth. Robert Kubica, as a replacement, finished 3rd. He's still young, so he has a long way to go, but I seriously see this guy going places. icon14.gif

Without question a great talent, but next German Champion will be Nico Rosberg. I dont see Vettel winning the championship within the next 5 years. The next years will be a battle between Hamilton and Rosberg i think.

Hmm I'm not so sure. I mean the Rosbergs have always been talented (Keke winning in 1982 shows just that) but whilst he's doing great at Williams and to be fair would be very suited to a better car, he's still showing signs of inexperience. Same goes for Piquet. Talented, but still very much the rookie. They'll both be drivers to watch out for in the future after a few seasons, but at the moment they're both too prone to making mistakes, which is not what makes a world champion.

Vettel on the other hand I feel is a fair bit more talented than Nico, which is proven by the fact that although he's still a fledgling F1 driver, he's not seemingly making as many mistakes and is consistently punching above his weight. I mean, hell, today he out-qualified DC in the main team's car. Imaging what he could do next year eh?

@Yatesyz: Aye the field was very close today so although Kimi may be disappointed with 6th, in a car that looked completely out of shape whenever it was pushed, it's not a bad showing. Better than Massa's Silverstone anyway!

I have a feeling that tomorrow Felipe will walk away with it. As shown in Qualifying, the McLaren just eats through it's tyres a lot faster than the Ferrari, which will prove pivotal tomorrow. Lewis I feel is also fuelled lighter than certainly his team mate, but also lighter than Massa. Stefano Domenicali feels the Ferraris have a chance tomorrow anyway. Mind you, he's was also swearing blind Kimi doesn't have any problems, which when you look at how the car was handling just isn't true.

Hmmmm...who's up for starting a little F1 trivia?

Lazlow Chatterbox
Hmmmm...who's up for starting a little F1 trivia?

Me! I know a lot about F1.

Mark

Ok, I'll start:

In 2010: The British Grand Prix will go to Donington for the very 1st time. True or False?

Lazlow Chatterbox

False- I am sure its been used before in F1.

Mark

False- I am sure its been used before in F1.

Au contraire, it's true. Donington has been used as an F1 circuit before (up until 1993) but for the European Grand Prix only. At no point has it been home of the British Grand Prix.

Someone else throw one smile.gif.

Lazlow Chatterbox

I did not know you wanted that.

Here is one: Who won the 1992 World Championship? (Include Full Driver name and Team And Engine).

!!GC!!

I think Wiki can too easily be used to find the answer to these Q's.

OT- Hamilton drove well in qualifying. I dont think Raikkonen deserved his 6th. As much as i like him, he didn't drive too well at all, even if it was his car.

Nonetheless, i'm still be going for him.

Stefan.

I can go on Wikipedia now and find the answer. But I can't be bothered.

Webber in 8th... not too bad. Trulli on 4th, he hasn't done that in a while.

Lazlow Chatterbox

I am not surprised that Hammy (Hamilton) is on pole.

Yatesyz

Very eventful race at Hockenheim. Hamilton makes a good start and looked a comfortable race for him. Glock had a bad accident and was sent to hospital bringing the safety car out. However Hamilton was told not to pit which turned out bad for him and looked like he wouldn't win.

Hamilton managed to get back up to first with Nelson Piquet in the Renault in second place and a disappointing third for Massa who could have won it.

Jay

Piquet should bake Glock a cake.

Waddy

Was a great race. Mclaren almost messed it all up for some strange reason but Hamilton showed his talent.

Back to back wins and no f*ck ups...Could be getting somewhere.

Mark
Was a great race. Mclaren almost messed it all up for some strange reason but Hamilton showed his talent.

Back to back wins and no f*ck ups...Could be getting somewhere.

Pitting Lewis early with the safety car would've meant a long last stint on the soft tyres, and you know how badly the Mclarens are with their tyres, especially Lewis.

Agreed, Nelson owes Timo big time tounge.gif.

That's the idea of the trivia, not obvious ones like who won what etc etc, that's too easy to figure out. Little things like what was so and so known to say to so and so after a certain race etc or summin along those lines. Ah well nae mind maybe.

Though to answer your question, Nigel Mansell in the Williams Renault.

Der_Don

Nice race. That Glock accident looked bad, but he's ok.

i found this video, very moving:

F1 perished heroes cryani.gif

EDIT: Stop at 5:42 and you will see Gilles Villeneuve flying through the air. Not only a moving but a shocking video, too.

Edited by Der_Don

Lazlow Chatterbox

Though to answer your question, Nigel Mansell in the Williams Renault.

Correct! Anyone notice that when Murray Walker was commentating when someone crashes and Murray thinks that the driver is seriously injured (like nearly dead) he puts on a dull voice?

Example:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=v4mDopfAVUI

Dull at the start and after the report even duller.

Edited by Lazlow Chatterbox

!!GC!!

I liked that race. Raikkonen made a good pass on Kubica, i think, unfortuante that he didn't get up to Kovaleinen.

What the heck was Massa thinking when he just opened up the biggest gap ever and welcomed Hamilton through? That was weak driving. Nelson did the exact same think too, but he is a Rookie, so he is ound to make mistakes.

Hamilton did very well from a McLaren f*ck up.

Wow, Glocks crash was amazing. When they did the full speed view from behind, when he made contact with the wall, the car almost disintegrated. I think he did well to steer the vehicle, while in shock and winded, out of the way of the BMW coming at him. As he did this, his left front wheels suspension just breaks and the whole wheel nearly comes off. Looked rather cool.

Mark

Glocks not been the luckiest guy this season, he also had a spectacular smash in Australia.

Stefan.

That video is scary; that's the first time that I've seen Gilles' and Ayrton's deaths. I never knew how shocking the crashes were. It's a bit scary seeing their heads rolling around in the car after they died. sad.gif

JeNvEy

Does anyone hear support Red Bull??

I duno why but i just started watching F1 propely about 4, 5 years ago and followed Coulthard from Mclaren to Red Bull, and i think there a progressing team. I think Vettel will do well for them also

Mark

That video is scary; that's the first time that I've seen Gilles' and Ayrton's deaths. I never knew how shocking the crashes were. It's a bit scary seeing their heads rolling around in the car after they died. sad.gif

There's a lot more shocking out there. Ernesto Viso's GP2 accident makes me cringe every time! Sure he didn't die but f*cking hell.

Red Bull are up and coming, but I'm not a fan of customer teams, never have been. They tend to be too temporary, they don't stick around for long. Williams, Mclaren, Ferrari etc etc have been in the business for years and have an excellent pedigree, whereas teams like Redbull are just rich organisations that are willing to buy another teams technology and work from there.

!!GC!!

I've just watched both vids.

@Marks 2nd vid: sh*t that is amazing. I cant believe how casually the stewards strolled over to the wreck.

@Der_Dons vid: That is a cool vid. I didn't know most of them but still cool to see the crashes. I cant remeber which one it was but the guy in white wearing a helmet did all he could to get the driver out of the car. he didn't even care about the flames, he was just trying to push the car back upright amidst the flames. Then, someone must've said something cos he very angrily walked off beause he knew the driver was dead and couldn't help him sad.gif . That dude is inspiring.

Also, what the f*ck was the that steward doing the got hit by a F1 car? He ran across to the damaged car on the other side straight in front of a car and then got pulverised. He span around about 3 times before collapsing in a pile near the barrier. That looked scary.

Finally, Gilles crash was amazing also. The camerawork was sh*t but even then you could clearly see Gilles body flying across the track in mid air, hitting a fence (?) and landed on the ground. Then the camera guy zoomed into the cabin of the car cos he didn't know the body was gone.

Mark

I've just watched both vids.

@Marks 2nd vid: sh*t that is amazing. I cant believe how casually the stewards strolled over to the wreck.

@Der_Dons vid: That is a cool vid. I didn't know most  of them but still cool to see the crashes. I cant remeber which one it was but the guy in white wearing a helmet did all he could to get the driver out of the car. he didn't even care about the flames, he was just trying to push the car back upright amidst the flames. Then, someone must've said something cos he very angrily walked off beause he knew the driver was dead and couldn't help him  sad.gif . That dude is inspiring.

Also, what the f*ck was the that steward doing the got hit by a F1 car? He ran across to the damaged car on the other side straight in front of a car and then got pulverised. He span around about 3 times before collapsing in a pile near the barrier. That looked scary.

Finally, Gilles crash was amazing also. The camerawork was sh*t but even then you could clearly see Gilles body flying across the track in mid air, hitting a fence (?) and landed on the ground. Then the camera guy zoomed into the cabin of the car cos he didn't know the body was gone.

Yeah what David Purley did for Roger Williamson (the car on fire for ages) was really f*cking admirable. He actually got a medal from it if I recall correctly (I'm not that f*cking old, I just follow F1 a lot)

About that marshall that got hit by the car, spare a thought for the driver Tom Pryce, he was killed in it too.

Here's one that's not for the feint hearted, it's the Tom Pryce death, but from a different angle. The car at the beginning is the one you see in the other clip at the side of the road that the marshalls run over to, at about 0:35 is where you just catch a glimpse of the collision. A bit bloody I can tell ya.

EDIT: Here's a funny one from Kimi:

Stefan.

In Der_Don's video, I only skipped to Gilles' and Ayrton's death, and I didn't even realise that Gilles body was flying through the air. mercie_blink.gif And I can't believe that that guy got run over! I have to see that (I might regret it, though).

And, even though this may not seem right and might seem immature, but at the end of Mark's second video, I can't help but absolutely laugh at the pitman who's knees got knocked. Painful, yes, but seriously... it's hilarious. biggrin.gif

!!GC!!

sh*t, how did the driver die? Did he just go stright on at the next corner? His car was pretty much f*cked.

Stefan.

Tom Pryce began his final race weekend, the 1977 South African Grand Prix at Kyalami, by setting fastest time in the Wednesday practice session, held in wet weather. Pryce posted a time of 1 minute 31.57 seconds with the next best, the eventual 1977 World Champion Niki Lauda, a full second slower. The weather dried up prior to the Thursday session, and he slipped back down the grid to fifteenth place, almost two seconds slower than James Hunt's pole position time.

The Welshman's DN8 made a poor start to the Grand Prix and by the end of the first lap was in last place. Pryce started to climb back up the field during the next couple of laps, overtaking Brett Lunger and team mate Zorzi on lap two, and Alex Ribeiro and Boy Hayje the following lap. By lap 18 Pryce had moved from 22nd to 13th place.

The area just after The Kink is where Pryce and Jansen Van Vuuren collided and the Crowthorne corner where Pryce and Jacques Laffite's cars collided.On lap 21, Zorzi pulled off to the left side of the main straight, just after a brow of a hill and a bridge over the track. The Italian was having problems with his fuel metering unit, and fuel was pumping directly onto the engine, which then caught fire. Zorzi did not immediately get out of his car as he was experiencing trouble in disconnecting the oxygen pipe from his helmet.

The situation caused two marshals from the pit wall on the opposite side of track to intervene. The first marshal to cross the track was a 25-year old panel beater named William (Bill). The second was 19-year old Frederik Jansen Van Vuuren, commonly known as Jansen Van Vuuren, who was carrying a 40 lb fire extinguisher. George Witt, the chief pit marshal for the race, said that the policy of the circuit was that in circumstances involving fires, two marshals must attend and a further two act as back-up in case their extinguishers were not effective enough. Witt also recalled that both Bill and Van Vuuren crossed the track without prior permission. The former made it safely across the track, the latter did not. As the two young men started to run across the track, four cars driven by Hans-Joachim Stuck, Pryce, Jacques Laffite and Gunnar Nilsson were exiting the final corner and coming onto the main straight.

Pryce was directly behind Stuck's car along the main straight, Stuck himself sensed Van Vuuren and moved to the right to avoid both marshals, missing Bill by what Tremayne reports to have been a matter of "millimetres". From his position behind Stuck, Pryce could not see Van Vuuren and was unable to react as fast as Stuck. He struck the teenage marshal at approximately 170 mph. Van Vuuren was thrown into the air and landed yards in front of Zorzi and Bill. He died upon impact with Pryce's car. The fire extinguisher smashed into Pryce's head, before striking the Shadow's roll hoop, which threw it over the adjacent grandstand. It came to earth in the car park to the rear of the stand, where it hit a parked car and jammed its door shut.

The impact with the extinguisher had wrenched Pryce's helmet upward, and he had been partially decapitated by the strap. Death was almost certainly instantaneous. Pryce's Shadow DN8, now without a driver or a roll hoop, continued down the main straight towards the first corner, Crowthorne, coasting slowly. The Shadow left the track towards the right, scraping the metal barriers before veering back onto the track after hitting an entrance for emergency vehicles. The Shadow then hit Laffite's Ligier putting the latter out of the race. As for Van Vuuren, the injuries to his body were so severe that he was identified only by exclusion after the race director summoned all of the race marshals and Van Vuuren was not among them.

The eventual race winner was Austrian Niki Lauda, his first win since his near fatal accident during the 1976 German Grand Prix. He later announced it was the greatest victory of his career, but was told on the podium of Pryce's death and said that "there was no joy after that".

To sum up, the guy who got run over was carrying a fire extinguisher, and when they collided, it smashed into Tom's head. *shudders*

!!GC!!

It came to earth in the car park to the rear of the stand, where it hit a parked car and jammed its door shut.

lol.gif , guttered for that person.

The impact with the extinguisher had wrenched Pryce's helmet upward, and he had been partially decapitated by the strap.

nervous.gif sh*t, that would've been scary to see.

the injuries to his body were so severe that he was identified only by exclusion after the race director summoned all of the race marshals and Van Vuuren was not among them.

sad.gif , Thats rather sad.

Stefan.

I can't believe I've never heard of the incident before. I must ask my dad if he remembers it or not, 'cause that's... shocking, to say the least. wow.gif

Mark

Hey, at least it was a quick death for both people involved. Car fire deaths on the other hand I would rather not think about.

Mark

And bump.

Seems Hamilton's on target for a hat-trick of wins eh?