3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

IPL Helper - Blue Edition

xmen

I prefer a method that allows the user full control with minimal error checking.

what ??? i dont understand

The program should allow the user full control, even if the settings do not function. I don't think it is a good idea to double check each IPL to see what changes the user has made. I don't think the enex connections are understood well enough to write a program to handle all exceptions and properly error check new entries.

I really like the idea of named places, but don't want to mess with things too much at this time. I need to use the tool a little more before I feel comfortable about commenting on more modifications. I suggest refining the current feature set. Allow people to use the tool for a while, and then add features that make common tasks easier.

The program should allow the user full control

where is the restriction???

Allow people to use the tool for a while, and then add features that make common tasks easier.

hehe, i m not going to add any feature in enex right now because double checking will take a long...and exam is near confused.gifcryani.gif

Sorry. Our problems with miscommunication persist. No specific restrictions have been identified; I was stating a general preference. However, I still need to sit down and practice using many of the tools. If I notice something I will try to provide a very specific example for you to check.

Our problems with miscommunication persist.

yeah i see

If I notice something I will try to provide a very specific example for you to check.

thats a good idea smile.gif currently im stuck in API, both tools IPL Helper and Cords Compass are in progress... im trying to release them soon yawn.gif

Edited by xmen

IPL Helper - Blue Edition (Beta 3)

Enex Placer Tool

0) Enex Placer does not alter existing lines - thank you.

1) Type dialog box appears "as an underlay". Only the bottom of the box is visible, just enough to cancel.

2) Enter Info: lists X coord, Y coord, Z coord in one column, and X radius, Y radius, Unknown in the next column.

I find this to be very confusing as the IPL line from left to right is X, Y, Z, Unknown, X radius, Y radius.

3) Lack of labels makes it difficult to identify information already entered.

4) Rotation Arrow: East and West is inverted (same problem as before).

5) Sky colors need numbers in the label to assist with debugging and field identification.

6) Option Line: different sequence of fields is making debugging difficult.

Options Line from left to right in Enex Placer is: Sky, Type/Flags, Target, On, Off, Name, Comment

Options Line in the IPL format from left to right: Target, Type/Flags, Name, Sky, (unknown), On, Off

7) I find no examples of Time On or Time Off as floats. Expect integer values of 0 through 24. Entry box seems to be sized for integers. (Should I test floats for Time On and Off, or was this an oversight?)

8) Suggest defaults that will allow enex to function if options are not adjusted.

X radius = 2, Y radius = 2, Blue Sky = 0, Time Off = 24

9) Request option to copy a line from within Enex Placer. Currently need to back out to duplicate lines before editing.

10) Enex markers and destinations could use a slight Z offset or they will be too high; at pickup level. Suggest no change; document how to adjust Z offset in Cords Compass. (Perhaps add a nudge down option, or include a proper Z offset if the feature set is updated.)

Notes for Vehicle Placer and Pickup Placer: maximum resolution is 1/8 of a unit. Float values will be rounded accordingly during encoding.

0) Enex Placer does not alter existing lines - thank you.

2) Enter Info: lists X coord, Y coord, Z coord in one column, and X radius, Y radius, Unknown in the next column.

I find this to be very confusing as the IPL line from left to right is X, Y, Z, Unknown, X radius, Y radius.

5) Sky colors need numbers in the label to assist with debugging and field identification.

10) Enex markers and destinations could use a slight Z offset or they will be too high; at pickup level. Suggest no change; document how to adjust Z offset in Cords Compass. (Perhaps add a nudge down option, or include a proper Z offset if the feature set is updated.)

Notes for Vehicle Placer and Pickup Placer: maximum resolution is 1/8 of a unit. Float values will be rounded accordingly during encoding.

i dont understand properly confused.gif

1) Type dialog box appears "as an underlay". Only the bottom of the box is visible, just enough to cancel.

hehe, i see and i fixed that problem after release

3) Lack of labels makes it difficult to identify information already entered.

oh yeah this is the true lack

4) Rotation Arrow: East and West is inverted (same problem as before).

already fixed

6) Option Line: different sequence of fields is making debugging difficult.

Options Line from left to right in Enex Placer is: Sky, Type/Flags, Target, On, Off, Name, Comment

Options Line in the IPL format from left to right: Target, Type/Flags, Name, Sky, (unknown), On, Off

will be fixed

7) I find no examples of Time On or Time Off as floats. Expect integer values of 0 through 24. Entry box seems to be sized for integers. (Should I test floats for Time On and Off, or was this an oversight?)

oohhh, it was a bad mistake xD

8) Suggest defaults that will allow enex to function if options are not adjusted.

X radius = 2, Y radius = 2, Blue Sky = 0, Time Off = 24

ok will be fixed

9) Request option to copy a line from within Enex Placer. Currently need to back out to duplicate lines before editing.

no need to go back, just double click and press Add Line, isnt it a better way ?

i dont understand properly

Problem: If I take a coordinate reading with SACC or Cords Compass using an "Adjustment" (offset) of 0 0 0, then my Enex door will be too high and won't function for cars or bikes unless adjusted down a little. I'm still experimenting with One-Way doors that don't have yellow markers. I will try to provide more information as it becomes available.

Update: A Z offset of -1 compares favorably to coordinate readings taken with Cords Compass and placement of standard doors. The Train Track example from cords compass works quite well for enex locations.

Possible Solutions:

Provide documentation to the user. Something like, "Subtract 1.0 from coordinate readings that would place pickups at the center of CJ's body."

Add a little minus button that subtracts 1.0 from the current Z value (I'm not sure I like this idea)

If a coordinate tool is incorporated into future versions of IPL Helper, I suggest that a Z offset of -1 be automatic when used with the Enex Placer tool.

Vehicle and Pickups - Details of how information is encoded

The locations for vehicles and pickups is encoded in the save file in a 2 byte word rather than a 4 byte float. All coordinates are multiplied by 8 and rounded to integer values. Placement of these items is not terribly precise. Choose 1111.5 or 1111.625, anything in between will be rounded.

No suggestions at this time. Information is offered in case it is useful.

no need to go back, just double click and press Add Line, isnt it a better way ?

Yes, that makes sense. I was worried that I would lose the original line, but that is no longer a concern. The copied line is formatted for Enex Placer, but if I intend to edit with Enex Placer it's going to be formatted anyway.

Change InfoVault to read 0 - Blue Sky, 1 - White sky fading to black, etc. so I can look on the line and in the entry field and identify the values that correspond.

The entry fields are not in the same sequence as the IPL line. The Unknown (radian) value should be listed before (above) X radius and Y radius to conform with the format of the IPL line. Also, the rotation of Exit Info is listed at the top of the box, so the fields align visually.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be too picky about these issues. However, I feel I have a fairly strong grasp of the Enex connections, but still I find them confusing. I keep several reference pages and IPL examples handy while editing to help make sure I don't mess something up. If the visual formatting of Enex Placer doesn't correspond to the IPL examples and Enex documentation it introduces another level of confusion, and the Enex Connections are confusing enough as it is.

Edited by OrionSR

Type Field:

This is an old comment that I want to revisit in the hopes that we will reach an understanding. I can't use the Type function but it appears to operate differently than I was expecting. So different in fact that you may as well consider this a completely different function. Can you build a Type field editor as described below:

I click on the Type field editor and am presented with a list of 16 possible choices. These descriptions will probably need to be cleaned up a little so they look nice. I would also invert the list so the common flags are at the bottom.

Reference Link

ENEX Marker FlagsBit Value Description or use in unmodified game--- ----- -------------------------------------00      1 ?? Only used for interior markers01      2 ?? Used mostly for interior markers; also Big Ear & LS Skyscraper02      4 ?? Used with almost all exterior markers that link to interiors03      8 ?? Used with unlockable non-mission interior markers04     16 -- Never used in standard game05     32 XX Marker transports cars06     64 XX Marker transports bikes/motorcycles07    128 -- Never used in standard game08    256 ?? Only used 3 times: Ganton Bar Ext, Vegas Club Ext, a Diner Int09    512 -- Never used in standard game10   1024 ?? Only used in some Burglary House Exterior markers11   2048 -- Never used in standard game12   4096 XX Marker only accessible on Burglar mission13   8192 -- Never used in standard game14  16384 -- Never used in standard game15  32768 -- Never used in standard game

From this list I select the options I want (by placing check marks next to the option). In this example I want flag 4 because it's an outdoor location, and also 64 for bikes and 32 for cars. When I close the option list the program will add all bits for the options selected - in this case a sum of 100 is entered in the Type field. If I decide that I don't want to allow cars, I can click on the Type Field editor, unselect the cars flag (32) and when the dialog box is closed a new sum of 68 is computed. (When I enter a value of 102 and then open the Type Editor, I will find Flags 2, 4, 32, and 64 selected.)

A Type Editor that performs these functions would be complete. No new flags can be entered, and all possible values can be selected. Updates to this feature would be made primarily to the descriptions if new information was learned about the flags and what they do.

Notes on Type Flags:

14 16384 -- Never used in standard game = Enable Enex Marker (no effect)

This flag is set by default, but standard markers are frequently disabled by the scripts.

Most of the information in the Enex IPL line is read from disk each time the game is started. However, the connections between enex links (sequence of enex connections) and the Type Flags are recorded in the save file when a new game save is created. Programmers can alter individual enex Type flags with Opcode 09B4.

Edited by OrionSR

Provide documentation to the user. Something like, "Subtract 1.0 from coordinate readings that would place pickups at the center of CJ's body."

i cant write help documents since i dont have time

Add a little minus button that subtracts 1.0 from the current Z value (I'm not sure I like this idea)

If a coordinate tool is incorporated into future versions of IPL Helper, I suggest that a Z offset of -1 be automatic when used with the Enex Placer tool.

both are useless and will be buggy

The locations for vehicles and pickups is encoded in the save file in a 2 byte word rather than a 4 byte float. All coordinates are multiplied by 8 and rounded to integer values. Placement of these items is not terribly precise. Choose 1111.5 or 1111.625, anything in between will be rounded.

why you always want changes if there is no error at all cry.gif

Change InfoVault to read 0 - Blue Sky, 1 - White sky fading to black, etc. so I can look on the line and in the entry field and identify the values that correspond.

no, numbers looks odd, however i changed the view of Enex Place...

The entry fields are not in the same sequence as the IPL line. The Unknown (radian) value should be listed before (above) X radius and Y radius to conform with the format of the IPL line.

Done

In this example I want flag 4 because it's an outdoor location, and also 64 for bikes and 32 for cars. When I close the option list the program will add all bits for the options selected - in this case a sum of 100 is entered in the Type field

its possible

Edited by xmen

why you always want changes if there is no error at all

I never asked for any changes. This was a clarification of a note I had made and was not understood. At least I think that was the intent. You had quoted several statements with only one response. I tried to clarify each statement quoted. Sorry if this lead to additional confusion. The next line reads:

I've made fairly good progress of decoding many of the other Type flags. You can find more information at the link below:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=331835

The next line reads:

oh i didnt read that one turn.gif

I've made fairly good progress of decoding many of the other Type flags. You can find more information at the link below:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=331835

damn... you wrote too much nervous.gif

user posted image

and what do you think about it dozingoff.gif

Nice, very nice. I've tried to create a more complete list that has short descriptive names, but perhaps a 4-6 word description would be more appropriate. I encourage you to include all 16 flags, even if their function is controlled by the game or is unknown.

BIT	HEX   DEC	NAME                  DESCRIPTION00	0001     1	unknown interior      Only used for interior markers01	0002     2	unknown pairing       Used mostly for interior markers; also Big Ear & LS Skyscraper02	0004     4	create linked pair    Pair with unflagged mate during new game start03	0008     8	reward interior       Sets flag 0010 on pair mate when used04	0010    16	used reward entrance  Set by accessing reward interior05	0020    32	cars and aircraft     Enable for cars and aircraft06	0040    64	bikes and motorcycles	Enable for bikes and motorcycles07	0080   128	disable on foot       No foot traffic. Use for cars and/or bikes only08	0100   256	accept NPC group      Group members accepted at destination of pair 09	0200   512	food date flag        Set and cleared by food date (cut-scene related)10	0400  1024	unknown burglary      Set on Bayside and Temporary Burglary doors11 0800  2048 disable exit          Player can enter but cannot exit a two-way pair12	1000  4096	burglary access       Enabled and disabled during Burglary13	2000  8192	entered without exit  Set by Entrance, Cleared by Exit;	Applies to one side of a two-way pair14	4000	16384	enable access         Enabled by default; often cleared by scripts15	8000	32768	delete enex           Enex is deleted when used

Recent Revisions:

07 0080 128 disabled on foot Use for cars and/or bikes only

08 0100 256 accept NPC group Group members accepted at destination of pair

11 0800 2048 exit disabled Player can enter but cannot exit a two-way pair

15 8000 32768 delete enex Enex is deleted when used

Comments that indicate my confidence or progress on each flag: user set, and handled by game imply high confidence.

unknown interior - hope to investigate soon

unknown pairing - hope to investigate soon

create linked pair - subject of next test

reward interior - users set

used reward entrance - handled by the game

cars and aircraft - user set

bikes and motorcycles - user set

unobserved 128 - need more testing disabled on foot Use for cars and/or bikes only - user set

bar date flag - need more testing, can't tell what it does accept NPC group Group members accepted at destination of pair - user set

food date flag - need more testing, causes black screen without crash (waiting for cut-scene)

unknown burglary - need more testing, can't tell what it does

unobserved 2048 - need more testing exit disabled Player can enter but cannot exit a two-way pair - user set

burglary access - user set

entered without exit - handled by game

enable access - handled by game or scripts

unobserved 32768 - need more testing delete enex Enex is deleted when used - user set

Unobserved Flags: I suspect one of these may cause the enex to be disabled after use, but I haven't had a chance to follow through with a proper test.

Edited by OrionSR

I've tried to create a more complete list that has short descriptive names, but perhaps a 4-6 word description would be more appropriate.

that was just a demo, however its working internally

I encourage you to include all 16 flags, even if their function is controlled by the game or is unknown.

damn... i did that but i thought "never used..." mean its completely useless

damn... i did that but i thought "never used..." mean its completely useless

The initial documentation was created by pdescobar and was based on an examination of the flag sums in the enex IPL lines. So in this case "never used" means never set in an text IPL. In my discussion with pdescobar regarding this documentation he indicated that inconsistent results encouraged him to investigate a more productive line of research so the enex documentation remained incomplete. However, there is just enough information for users to glean how to set an enex properly and get it working.

My early efforts with save file editing included an investigation of the enex links and flags. Again, inconsistent results encouraged research in other areas. However, your efforts into creating a working Enex Placer has prompted me to take another shot at working out the purpose of these flags.

PD's flag labels describe "how the flag was used" in text IPLs.

I intend to rename the labels for "operational flags" (user set) to something that describes "what the flag will do."

Labels for "internal flags" (handled by game) will describe "what the flag means."

Many flags are still confusing the hell out of me.

Also, the Enex Placer should be able to read all possible flags in case the user has entered an incorrect or experimental value.

Update:

07 0080 128 unobserved 128 Unobserved in standard game

08 0100 256 bar date flag Set and cleared during bar dates

11 0800 2048 unobserved 2048 Unobserved in standard game

15 8000 32768 unobserved 32768 Unobserved in standard game

07 0080 128 disabled on foot Use for cars and/or bikes only

08 0100 256 accept NPC group Group members accepted at destination of pair

11 0800 2048 exit disabled Player can enter but cannot exit a two-way pair

15 8000 32768 delete enex Enex is deleted when used

Delete Enex: Deleted upon exit (or ?). Deletes enex record from save file. Also deletes cached information from memory so the only way to get the enex back is to restart the game.

Sorry, I'm having no luck at all decoding the 1st 2 flags. I don't know what they do and I've run out of ideas for things to check.

Edited by OrionSR

So in this case "never used" means never set in an text IPL.

im confused, why you want then ??? i mean if these flags(i.e. "never used") arnt for IPL then why you want them for IPL??? nervous.gifdontgetit.gif

So in this case "never used" means never set in an text IPL.

im confused, why you want then ??? i mean if these flags(i.e. "never used") arnt for IPL then why you want them for IPL??? nervous.gifdontgetit.gif

1) Who is to say what is not for IPL? A user may want to use the Disable On Foot flag even though Rockstar did not.

2) All sixteen flags are required to account for all possible number combinations for the dword. If a user enters the incorrect flag information and loads the line with the Flag Tool then they will easily recognize that they have set the incorrect flags. If the tool omits some flags then how will it display the "incorrect" setting? (A simple reversal of digits might cause this type of user error)

3) Our understanding of the proper use of the flags is limited. I suspect some are for internal use, but I might be wrong.

4) The Internal list is very short. Only 3 or 4 may qualify, so you don't save much screen space.

5) If a new purpose is discovered for an omitted flag then the tool will be outdated. If all flags are included then only the label will be out of date.

I considered suggesting a color coding scheme for the flag labels that might provide hints that some flags are more useful than others. But I didn't want to risk complicating the discussion so I deleted the comment. Besides, I just discovered the possible and relatively untested function of 4 new flags, so what I wrote then would already need updating.

A user may want to use the Disable On Foot flag even though Rockstar did not.

i will add this one

If a user enters the incorrect flag information and loads the line with the Flag Tool then they will easily recognize that they have set the incorrect flags.

so user want to use it for scm coding ?? this is not a separate tool, its a subtool of IPL Helper

Who said anything about scm coding? This tool would not be useful for that purpose. Coders will manipulate 1 flag at a time so a sum of bytes is not necessary. A hex editor displays easy to read hex flags, so this tool is not needed for that purpose either. Incorrect settings from the user may be from manual editing and calculations. I do not understand why you would write a flag tool that was incomplete. There are 16 flags in the dword. It just seem really odd to leave some out.

Why would you not list all possible flags? I don't understand your concern.

Edited by OrionSR

There are 16 flags in the dword

i was thinking that pdescobar only checked 16 values it can be more than 16, so i thought last 2 are useless since they have been unobserved by game, forget all, just tell me one thing that is game used these flags on which you have write "unobserved....." ???

nevermind, i read your post

Edited by xmen

IPL Helper V.5.0 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Im guessing My Framework too new XD

IPL Helper V.5.0 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Im guessing My Framework too new XD

download from this post

any updates? also, how would i add save game locations? looks like there is alot i could do with this!

yeah lots of updates, hoping for soon release of BETA 4, nah, you cant add save game location through ipl, scm coding is able to this task

yeah lots of updates, hoping for soon release of BETA 4, nah, you cant add save game location through ipl, scm coding is able to this task

Yea... im crap at modding main.scm confused.gif but im loving IPL... just gotta make sure i don't go crazy and fk up ma game smile.gif

Actually, creating new save locations isn't that difficult. All you need to do is connect your enex to a safe house. Creating a new save disk is the part that requires mission coding.

Examples: Connecting the West Mulholland 24-7 to the Queens Interior:

1000.33, -919.924, 41.2368, 0.0790591, 2, 2, 8, 998.327, -919.924, 41.2368, 97, 0, 4, "SVHOT1", 0, 2, 0, 24     // connect to Queens Hotel

I tend to reuse existing connection for the chain game since players are expected to be using default scripts and files. Here's an added enex I've been messing with at a large house near the Vinewood sign.

1497.062, -687.8919, 94.55, 0, 2, 2, 8, 1497.154, -691.2832, 93.75, 180.0, 0, 4, "SVVGMD", 0, 2, 0, 24   // Prickle Pine Save

I only use Queens, Prickle Pine, and Hashbury for custom safe houses. This helps maintain compatibility with the savegame editor. Since these safe houses are unique (only 1 entrance) there isn't the risk of my hideout getting cut-off when the savegame editor messes with the links as it changes the save location.

Edited by OrionSR

im crap at modding main.scm

not too difficult, i wrote code for save pickup in a blank main.scm, the require lines are bold so that you can learn easily

DEFINE OBJECTS 1

DEFINE OBJECT PICKUPSAVE

DEFINE MISSIONS 0   

DEFINE EXTERNAL_SCRIPTS 0

DEFINE UNKNOWN_EMPTY_SEGMENT 0

DEFINE UNKNOWN_THREADS_MEMORY 1000

thread 'MAIN'

042C: set_total_missions_to 0

030D: set_total_mission_points_to 0

set_wb_check_to 0

00C0: set_current_time 14 30

$PLAYER_CHAR = Player.Create(#NULL, 2513.38, -1650.10, 14.5)

$PLAYER_ACTOR = Actor.EmulateFromPlayer($PLAYER_CHAR)

Camera.SetBehindPlayer

Actor.Angle($PLAYER_ACTOR) = 135.0

Player.Build($PLAYER_CHAR)

07FE: set_actor $PLAYER_ACTOR fighting_style_to 6 6

select_interior 0

Player.CanMove($PLAYER_CHAR) = True

01B7: release_weather             

016C: restart_if_wasted at 2513.38 -1650.10 14.5 angle 135.0 unknown 0

016D: restart_if_busted at 2513.38 -1650.10 14.5 angle 135.0 unknown 0

wait 10

$SAVE_PICKUPS = Pickup.Create(#PICKUPSAVE, 3, 2493.15, -1684.83, 13.8)

create_thread @NONAME_1

:MAIN_2319

wait 2000

jump @MAIN_2319

:NONAME_1

wait 0

if and

Player.Defined($PLAYER_CHAR)

Pickup.Picked_up($SAVE_PICKUPS)

jf @NONAME_1

Pickup.Destroy($SAVE_PICKUPS)

wait 800

03D8: show_save_screen

:NONAME_1_37

wait 0

if

03D9:  save_done

jf @NONAME_1_37

Actor.PutAt($PLAYER_ACTOR, 2491.15, -1684.83, 13.8)

Actor.Angle($PLAYER_ACTOR) = 90.0

Camera.SetBehindPlayer

Camera.Restore_WithJumpCut

$SAVE_PICKUPS = Pickup.Create(#PICKUPSAVE, 3, 2493.15, -1684.83, 13.8)

jump @NONAME_1

you will start new game from Groove street and save pickup will be near CJ's house

hope it will help smile.gif

Edited by xmen

interesting... dontgetit.gif

the only things i understand are the co-ords but i guess that's the only thing i'll need from what you gave me... Thanks. I see there is a 'after busted/wasted' thing so i can start anywhere. I'll be using this!

you must know just about every type of coding in SA!

oh, and what's the 'blank main.scm' i have to make and how do i refer to it after i made it? should be simple to edit with notepad...

what's the 'blank main.scm'

here blank mean, it just has code that can only run game...

I see there is a 'after busted/wasted' thing so i can start anywhere.

if you are going to edit original main.scm then it will be already there...

and for more info PM me or read some tuts smile.gif

unless at some point you already added Licence Plate thingying, here's something that makes a car with a certain licence plate...

09E2: $GTAG = parked_car_generator_w_numberplate  567  93  03  0 alarm  1 door_lock  0  0  10000 plate "_GTAG_" at 2504.047 -1678.798 13.37605 angle 16.0014C: set_parked_car_generator $GTAG cars_to_generate_to  101

damn... forgot, is this IPL. I made this ages ago but never finished it... it might be main.scm ???

God it took me ages to crack!

Edited by Deji

unless at some point you already added Licence Plate thingying, here's something that makes a car with a certain licence plate...

09E2: $GTAG = parked_car_generator_w_numberplate  567  93  03  0 alarm  1 door_lock  0  0  10000 plate "_GTAG_" at 2504.047 -1678.798 13.37605 angle 16.0014C: set_parked_car_generator $GTAG cars_to_generate_to  101

God it took me ages to crack!

Deji, please do not change the topic direction, PM me or start new topic smile.gif