PS2 tech help please

[-Vice-Andreas-]

[-Vice-Andreas-]

I thought I would boot up Vice City for old times sake, and I've had a disc read error problem with both VC and San Andreas now.

In the middle of gameplay, every now and then I get either a 'disc read error' or 'the disc tray is open, please close' (even though the tray is closed). it mainly gives me disc tray open messages though.

this pauses the gameplay for about 5-10 seconds, then continues fine again. but the errors keep coming periodically every like 20 seconds, depending on how fast i'm driving in-game (i guess its to do with the draw distance, loading the map etc)

is there any way at all I could fix this? I don't care if it means opening up my PS2 and voiding its warranty, considering I have an xbox 360 anyway.

ps my ps2 never autoruns cd's anymore... i have to manually select to run the CD from the browser option.

Edited by [-Vice-Andreas-]

ps3 user all the way

SIP YEK NOD

Thats how PS2s die.

Just google PS2 DRE, and you will get the picture

user posted image

Every 8 months or so my PS2 would get a DRE or just take ages to load anything, (Even DVD’s) open up the case, and the unscrew the 4 tiny screws holding on top of the disc tray.

Get yourself some cotton buds and I found that VHS head cleaning fluid worked for me, put a little bit of fluid on the tip of the cotton bud and rub the laser is a circle motion. Then use the dry end of the cotton bud and do the same.

Re-attach everything and give it a try. Would always work perfect for me.

Raindancer_5.gif

The exact thing happened to me with my slim-line ps2 with freezings and disc-tray being open, when it actually wasnt, so i put somwthing heavy ontop of the disc tray holder on my slim-line ps2. I dont know why, but it worked, possibly the disc was pushed closer to the laser mercie_blink.gif

YourNeighborhoodKiller

Buy a new one. They're only $129.99. Pretty cheap. I actually found one somewhere for $99.99. Not sure what store though.

Thats my best advice. Either that or take it to GameStop and see if they can fix it.

New account: Gezim

If you've got one of the original PS2s, it's dead. I had one, only way I was able to fix it was to open it up, and put two pieces of straws (like you would use with a drink) around the little bar that the laser moves on. Before that, though, I sanded down the screw that holds it up, or one of the important screws in there, I can't remember. Point is, I knew the laser was too low or too high, and I thought two high. But when I grinded down the screw, it was too low. So I put on the pieces of straw, and wa-la, it worked but it made a very loud and annoying clicking sound every time I started it up, and wouldn't stop until I turned it off. Think of the clicking a 360 makes before it gets a Disc Unreadable, make that about two times as loud, and loop it continuously. That's what I had to put up with every time I wanted to play something.

But, if it's a Slim, all I can suggest is buying a new one. Or, y'know, buying the Xbox versions of SA/VC and playing them on your 360. I honestly can't remember the last time I used my PS2 (though I have to admit, it hurts me to say this. Had some great times with that thing (until the one mentioned previously died and I had to buy a Slim)).

Slosten.gif

I've had my PS2 since 2003, and i've never had any problems with it, played GTA 3 on it about a month ago.

I've never had any problems with any of my consoles. (I don't own many but still, PS1, Sega master system, PS2, GB, PSP, 360)

This happened to me to, and resulted in me opening up my PS2 and TOTALLY screwing it up (it's in a cupboard now in pieces).

Recently I figured out that you don't HAVE to have the game discs to play the games, you can play the games from a hard disk attached to the PS2 (much like how PC games work) which would prevent the PS2's weak ass laser from dying. For more info, click here and read up on the article.

*I don't think this is against the forum's rules as playing games you genuinely bought through a hard disk is fine smile.gif.

FIOszpJ.gif

[-Vice-Andreas-]
Buy a new one. They're only $129.99. Pretty cheap. I actually found one somewhere for $99.99. Not sure what store though.

Thats my best advice. Either that or take it to GameStop and see if they can fix it.

This is the 2nd PS2 I've been through, so I don't see why I'd bother.

The first PS2 I had was one of the older fatter ones, it broke when I got San Andreas, and I got it replaced (under warranty) for free with one of the slimline PS2's.

And this is the slim PS2 having problems, and its only as old as San Andreas... so yeah... but I'm not spending money on a new one when I've already got xbox 360 and GTA4 (nearly).

I know how to build computers from a naked case, I do IT, so I should be capable of pulling it apart if I have to. Just not totally sure how PS2's are built and what to do about it etc

ps3 user all the way

YourNeighborhoodKiller

My Slim PS2 was horrible. It literally heated up in 30 minutes each time I would start it up. Worst of all, it would freeze the game while I'm playing, causing me to start the game again from where I left of. This was the lack of saving the game.

So I returned it and bought a used, older, version of the PS2. I bought a used one, since they didn't sell new ones anywhere.

Edited by YourNeighborhoodKiller

New account: Gezim

If you use only legal discs, ps2 will work very long.

If u use dvdrs often, you ps2 may die in 1-2 years. for example, i've never had legal discs, i play only from dvdrs and my console is gonna die (it's freezes in gta etc).

so better get new ps2 than wasting money for legal discs. it's much cheaper.

The best gamer in the world.

ðîò ìíå íîãè, ôàê ìîé ìîçã, ÷òî çà õóéíÿ? ¨ìàíàðîò, âàëèì îòñþäà!

Hit it really hard till it bends to your will. biggrin.gif

Seriously though, do what Raindancer said or get a new one. Because you're PS2 is probably dead.

[-Vice-Andreas-]

Well today my PS2 decided to work, although I got a few errors in the first 15 minutes, from then on it was smooth sailing... and I was flying a Passenger Jet around San Andreas, jumping off buildings, and shredding it up at the old Venturas strip.

So don't know. It just works when it feels like working I guess confused.gif

As long as I can play retro GTA3 games in the leadup to GTA4 haha

ps3 user all the way

My TWO PS2 playstations both had disc read errors, I tried every cure known to man, and I gave up.... bought the needed PS3 for GTA 4.

You could always consider it as a two in one unit if you get BC intact.

I know one guy who has the YouTube videos for repair tips. We met on Usenet's tech groups back in 2000!

He offered to fix my units, but I just play on PS3 right now

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.