2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Blackst*r

New Details/Niko's Identity

Blackst*r

I'm a Dutch guy living in Chicago, but I still check out Dutch tv/internet programs like www.gamekings.tv, they were headed up to the Take Two office in a Dutch City, and started talking to a rockstar rep about GTA IV.

The rep revealed Niko is from Serbia a (real) country Eastern Europe torn apart from war.

So I guess that's solved biggrin.gif .

For anyone speaking dutch or just wants to see the video www.gamekings.tv and press play on the left.

The rep also talked about different brands in the game like the lady clothing-brand "derriere" meaning back or ass in French.

Also the Liberty City version of MacDonald's/Burger King is called "Burgershot"

And the Swingers are the NY Yankees (but y'all knew that)

scarface910

Nice find, and seems legit, if only I spoke dutch.

Jayt001

Just watched it although it was completely foreign to me lol

The burgershot t-shirt was cool.

That is all i got from the video cryani.gif I wish I spoke dutch.

sabbathfan

I thought I read somewhere that Niko doesn't have a nationality. As in it is never confirmed and always left ambiguous.

Dunno if it was correct but Serbia makes sense. Hope its true if only to shut up all the people who, despite R* saying otherwise, still say he is Russian

Darkgamr
I thought I read somewhere that Niko doesn't have a nationality. As in it is never confirmed and always left ambiguous.

I heard that too, and this source doesn't seem too credible

MA3LK

Same that what i heard too.

Debo_Deuce

yeah from all that I have heard rockstar is just saying hes from eastern Europe and is a guy without a country. I doubt they will ever state exactly where hes from. Maybe to stay neutral with everyone and leave it up to you to decide what country you think hes from. His name is leaning more towards a yogoslav name though. Croatian Bosnian or Serbian even though the last names ending with ic are mainly croats and serbs but there is bosnians with it as well.

Jayt001

yeah from all that I have heard rockstar is just saying hes from eastern Europe and is a guy without a country. I doubt they will ever state exactly where hes from. Maybe to stay neutral with everyone and leave it up to you to decide what country you think hes from. His name is leaning more towards a yogoslav name though. Croatian Bosnian or Serbian even though the last names ending with ic are mainly croats and serbs but there is bosnians with it as well.

Yeah I find it strange that after reading EGM (they made quite a big deal about Niko having no country) this "rockstar rep" would come out and say he Niko's from Serbia is a bit of a bold statement, maybe he's officially got no country but the people on the inside know he is actually based on a Serbian.

sattizahn

Dan Houser said himself that, "Niko is a man without a country."

ThaBear

I'm Dutch too, and I'll clear this up for you guys (you English dudes really should learn some foreign languages tounge.gif)

What is said in this movie is that Niko is a Yugoslavian/Serb. Then quoting from wikipedia:

Serbs (Serbian: Срби or Srbi) are a South Slavic people living in the Balkans and Central Europe, mainly in Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and, to a lesser extent, in Croatia. They are also a significant minority in two other republics of the Former Yugoslavia- the Republic of Macedonia and Slovenia.

So in this movie isn't said Niko is from Serbia, just that he is a Serb, and not all Serbs are from Serbia.

Edit: But that of course does confirm he isn't from Russia!

Debo_Deuce

I'm Dutch too, and I'll clear this up for you guys (you English dudes really should learn some foreign languages tounge.gif)

What is said in this movie is that Niko is a Yugoslavian/Serb. Then quoting from wikipedia:

Serbs (Serbian: Срби or Srbi) are a South Slavic people living in the Balkans and Central Europe, mainly in Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and, to a lesser extent, in Croatia. They are also a significant minority in two other republics of the Former Yugoslavia- the Republic of Macedonia and Slovenia.

So in this movie isn't said Niko is from Serbia, just that he is a Serb, and not all Serbs are from Serbia.

still why would rockstar keep insisting hes a guy with no country, then from this non credible source a supposed rockstar rep is claiming hes serbian. I personally dont care too much about his nationality as long as the game is good. But as I see it all we can do is assume and guess his nationality. But what we know and rockstar said is that hes from eastern Europe rockstar hasent said anything official about his exact place of origin about where he is from and I doubt they will. I think they will keep his origin a mystery and leave it up to the player to decide where hes from.

Edited by Debo_Deuce

kerem101

he said that cuz his country was destroyed by war and he's a freaking immagrant

rareairtone

The rep also talked about different brands in the game like the lady clothing-brand "derriere" meaning back or ass in French.

OOOHHH. I wonder if this is what english speakers are trying to say when they say "dairy air" to me that would be the breasts because they procure milk, not the butt. maybe what they mean to say is "derriere air." Someone who is a fan of chappelle's show would know one example that I use as context for the phrase "dairy air"

EDIT: or most likely "dairy air" is a mispronunciation of the word itself, i just realized, not with an "air" at the end

Edited by rareairtone

rareairtone

still why would rockstar keep insisting hes a guy with no country, then from this non credible source a supposed rockstar rep is claiming hes serbian. I personally dont care too much about his nationality as long as the game is good. But as I see it all we can do is assume and guess his nationality. But what we know and rockstar said is that hes from eastern Europe rockstar hasent said anything official about his exact place of origin about where he is from and I doubt they will. I think they will keep his origin a mystery and leave it up to the player to decide where hes from.

Well the real truth is, he may be a "man without a country" when it comes to nationality, but he has to have an ethnicity. Since someone can be serbian without being from serbia, I imagine one can identify it as an ethnicity. So while I guess we shouldn't quote them as credible sources, it's still possible he could be Serbian per se.

MISTO

Zdravo burazeru is in the serbian/bosnian/croatian vocabulary, so I think you are right.

MotjoBoss

The statue of happynes is holding a cup of coffee. They also say info about the multyplay will come within 3 weeks.

Emm Ell

Perhaps this was a 'hidden-meaning' type thing?

Niko was a soldier, so maybe his country turned their back on him, I don't know how, one of those 'secret-mission-gone-bad' ways I guess.

Btw, i'm not disagreeing with you, just stating an alternative smile.gif

Vutnock

Cool, I have a serbian friend who's a gta fan too! He wil defenately get a kick out of this biggrin.gif

dlx

hmmm.. I never know take two was seated like 200 meters from where I'm at everyday.. molotovs ahoy!!!!

they can talk about multiplayer in three weeks.... nice..

Jimmarn

I'm a Dutch guy living in Chicago, but I still check out Dutch tv/internet programs like www.gamekings.tv, they were headed up to the Take Two office in a Dutch City, and started talking to a rockstar rep about GTA IV.

The rep revealed Niko is from Serbia a (real) country Eastern Europe torn apart from war.

So I guess that's solved  biggrin.gif  .

For anyone speaking dutch or just wants to see the video www.gamekings.tv and press play on the left.

Finally it's cleared out tounge.gif I thought he was half russian tounge.gif

mightyox

OOOHHH. I wonder if this is what english speakers are trying to say when they say "dairy air" to me that would be the breasts because they procure milk, not the butt. maybe what they mean to say is "derriere air." Someone who is a fan of chappelle's show would know one example that I use as context for the phrase "dairy air"

EDIT: or most likely "dairy air" is a mispronunciation of the word itself, i just realized, not with an "air" at the end

Double post and talking sh*t.

OT:........Wait there isn't one it was simply a statement of fact, yet people have still managed to argue the toss for a whole page, unbelieveble.

Niko= serb

Niko is Russian= ballbags at dawn

Oh and thanks for the info Jimmarn

thatswhatshesaid

where in gods name did they get the idea to make him a serb? Might as well go for taliban then...

Mike0

Could someone please translate this video?

This is big news!

We dont get to see the inside of Rockstar games too often biggrin.gif

And a video interview. LOL, OMG

Metalhead4

I'm just going to believe he is Russian. His accent is 100% Russian and it seems lots of the gameplay is around the Russian Mafia. So I am sold.

dlx
Could someone please translate this video?

This is big news!

We dont get to see the inside of Rockstar games too often biggrin.gif

And a video interview. LOL, OMG

well... everything's pretty much been said...

-niko is supposed to be serbian

-game still releases 29 april

-the office you see, is just a take2 sales office, no one's working on games there, just marketing and managing press. It's small, I didn't even know it was there, I pass by that door a lot.

-the rockstar rep (called onno) didn't have anything to do with development, he just handles the journalists I guess. He said he just played for one hour and took a week off to play the game when it's released.

-the only other real thing he came with is that they can't discuss multiplayer, but can discuss it in a few week (end of this month?)

then they go home and wind up in a traffic jam.

that's it.

mkey82

The expression "zdravo burazeru" (meaning hello brother (or bro)) is DEFINITELY Serbian. Croatians and Bosnians use it also (slang and such), but it's Serbian. NOT Russian. It is possible that Nico and his brother/friend spent some time in Serbia, so they picked up local talk, but the name "Niko Bellic" is definitely not a Russian name but Serbian, Croatian or Bosnian.

So, this guy is most probably not Russian simply because there is not a single fact supporting this and a lot of facts speaking otherwise.

mcgriz

We need to find out who this R* employee who they based him on is and ask him his nationality.

Player58428

So I guess that's solved biggrin.gif .

they also say he's from the boat in the begining of the third trailer...

nederland!

MISTO
I'm just going to believe he is Russian. His accent is 100% Russian and it seems lots of the gameplay is around the Russian Mafia. So I am sold.

So he's Russian just because he is rolling the "R"?

My language is french and people are saying that I have an Italian accent when I speak English.

Fnorg

There's plenty of Bosnians whose last name ends with ic.

To whoever said his accent is Russian, here's one for ya: Almost all Eastern Europeans speak with such an accent, Ukraines, Serbs, Croats, Bosnians, Russians. Basically, the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia. You can't possibly be sure.