Will the new "IV" series expand, and grow

werenotfugazi

werenotfugazi

I know, I know...it's way too soon for stuff like this, but I really am very curious. It just struck me that as bad-ass, and amazing as IV is sure to be, I have a feeling that after we've been playing it for a while, R* will probably make a statement to the effect of "You haven't seen anything yet".

The increase in size for San Andreas compared to III was mind blowing for me. III came early in the life of the PS2, and look how much R* not only increased the size of the maps, but added all that detail in Vice City, and San Andreas. IV is coming early in the lives of the new consoles, and I'm trying to imagine how immersive GTA can possibly get. The developers are still in the infancy of learning what they can actually do with this new hardware.

It's interesting to me that all the data for IV will fit on a DVD-9. This means it was possible for R* to make IV literally 10 times bigger than it is now, with all the current increase in detail on a BD. You could have not just the city of New York, but the state of New York!

So, my question is, how much bigger will the maps be in the next 2 GTA games, assuming that they maintain, or increase the amount of sheer detail? Will we see the same signifigant increases in content as with the previous generation?

Please, assume nothing changes at R*, and let's leave the EA, and Sony/Microsoft/Blu-Ray thing out of this! Those are seperate, played out topics.

Edited by werenotfugazi

That probably depends on whether or not EA succeed in purchasing Take Two. If they do, I'm sure they'll f*ck everything up. Not to twist the topic into another discussion of EA's tendency to leach on every single game franchise in the world. tounge.gif

Initially I think that's what Rockstar have planned, finishing the trilogy.

Yes. I believe they will.

Honestly, I can't wait for the next xbox to come out, even though I am a PS3 fan.

The reason I say this is because once the new xbox comes out, it will most likely have a Blu-Ray drive, so the GTA games can be bigger and better than ever! (No people, Sony does NOT own the Blu-Ray technology, so Microsoft can, and probably will, use it)

Just think. Both Sony and Microsoft, and the game developers being able to utilize 50GB's worth of data! Cross platform games would be absolutely AMAZING!

Edited by josh995

first thing ima do when i get GTA is walk around and take in the life like environment and explore LC. Isnt it going to be a little smaller than SA's map? but you also have to think that IV is in a new york style city so theres going to be lots of buildings and it will make it seem bigger than SA cause SA had a lot of open land.

If MS does use it Xbox 360 owners would have to purchase a Blu Ray drive in order to play any games made on Blu Ray discs wouldn't they, that would propose a problem.

Microsoft said somewhere that '' If HD~DVD doesn't suit our needs we may switch over to Blu-ray DVD'' and I believe some where it said something about a Blu-ray drive for 360. I think you may be able to get a upgrade from a shop, or if it is external (hopefully) there would be a banner at the top of the box saying ''Only On Blu-Ray'' Similar to ''GAMES FOR WINDOWS'' ?

Well, it seriously depens on EA's takeover on T² games..

If EA becomes the boss of T², you can say a long farewell to the GTA series AFTER GTA IV.. suicidal.gif

yes, they will learn to better work around hardware limitations... but I doubt the difference between launch and last games of this generation will be as big as the last generation. Improvements also have to do with bigger budgets and teams and better technology. The jump between VC and SA's size was only possible because of streaming technology that they didn't have for III and VC.

edit: if EA acquires GTA, the last thing they wanna do is ruin it. I think that they will give rockstar the freedom they need to make GTA games, because if they let them do that the games will be more succesfull and EA makes more money while investing less.