American teenagers

jaymig53

Fewer than half of American teenagers who were asked basic history and literature questions in a phone survey knew when the Civil War was fought, and one in four said Columbus sailed to the New World some time after 1750, not in 1492. The survey results, released on Tuesday, demonstrate that a significant proportion of teenagers live in “stunning ignorance” of history and literature, said the group that commissioned it, Common Core.

About a quarter of the teenagers were unable to correctly identify Hitler as Germany’s chancellor in World War II, instead identifying him as a munitions maker, an Austrian premier and the German kaiser.

I'm not sure if this is because it was just a phone survey, and they just said a lot of crap, but still. How can a quarter of the teenager in America not know who Hitler is?

Don't think this is to bash America, I just thought it was pretty amazing. Heres the full article: Full article

Ever get the feeling that you suck?

Stupid Kids. I learned more about WWII thanks to video games and all those WWII movies than from all the sh*t they fed me at school.

Thank you Allied Assault smile.gif

About a quarter of the teenagers were unable to correctly identify Hitler as Germany’s chancellor in World War II, instead identifying him as a munitions maker, an Austrian premier and the German kaiser.

user posted image

Someone explain to me, who the f*ck is this Hitler guy?

user posted image

We walk in circles and we walk back between indecision...

Well it says they couldn't identify Hitler's role, not that they didn't know who he was. Of course he was the leader of the Nazi movement, but I couldn't give you the proper term as to what he was.

As for Columbus, didn't know the exact year, but I knew it was in the late 1400's.

As for the rest of things in the article, I had no clue about either. Who gives a sh*t about what "To Kill a Mockingbird" is about, or about some author Ralph Ellison's book. Literature and history is probably the 2 most worthless subjects in school unless you plan on working in a related career. Sure, general knowledge about history is useful, but plenty of it isn't.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Phone surveys are a bit of an annoyance. Usually when I get hit with a phone survey, I'm distracted with something else / don't give two f*cks about what my answers are.

Not to mention that the phone survey consisted of 33 questions sourced from 1986.

On literature, the teenagers fared even worse. Four in 10 could pick the name of Ralph Ellison’s novel about a young man’s growing up in the South and moving to Harlem, “Invisible Man,” from a list of titles. About half knew that in the Bible Job is known for his patience in suffering. About as many said he was known for his skill as a builder, his prowess in battle or his prophetic abilities.

I've never read the bible and I don't read novels. Does that mean I'm uneducated?

Basic literature my ass.

zUd3j4P.png

HAHAH! funniest sh*t today!

@ 1.50: f*cking hillarious seeing that SS jump up and down. Reminds me something off of CS 1.6.

I wonder if Hitler can see this topic from hell?

Well it says they couldn't identify Hitler's role, not that they didn't know who he was. Of course he was the leader of the Nazi movement, but I couldn't give you the proper term as to what he was.

As for Columbus, didn't know the exact year, but I knew it was in the late 1400's.

As for the rest of things in the article, I had no clue about either. Who gives a sh*t about what "To Kill a Mockingbird" is about, or about some author Ralph Ellison's book. Literature and history is probably the 2 most worthless subjects in school unless you plan on working in a related career. Sure, general knowledge about history is useful, but plenty of it isn't.

I agree with you on everything. Also how do they expect teens to just answer history questions randomly on the phone? When you get hit like that with questions it's sometimes hard to think of the answer.

No, in hell you're restricted to the GTAIV section.

38773_s.gif

Statutory Ray

It's easy to label somebody as stupid for getting a question wrong when you're given the answer.

I think I could answer plenty of history questions but the whole literature thing is bullsh*t, like what you guys are saying.

Honestly I have never even heard of Ralph Ellison or the Bible Job, and that's not my fault. My teachers never mentioned it anywhere...that's just stupid.

It's easy to label somebody as stupid for getting a question wrong when you're given the answer.

Exactly, if I was asked most of those questions I would probably bomb. I get nervous when someone just asks me random questions, especially if it was to see what percentage of American teens know it. I don't want to be the reason people think we're stupid. Also if you can just pull all of those answers out of your ass, and you don't work in a field that deals with it, what the hell kind of life do you have?

he sells tortillas on the corner of the 48th street.

Thats f*cking hilarious. lol.gif

OT: in my opinion phone surveys are bullsh*t as a reference of knowledge.

Ding.

Also x2 what Andy said.

If I got called for a phone survey, odds are I'd tell them to delete my number and f*ck off. Assuming I was bored enough to actually not be pissed at being bothered by one, there's still only a 50/50 chance I'd answer the questions seriously, but that's me.

Just about everyone knows who Hitler was, but sure, if someone interrupted what I was doing there's a chance I might refer to him as Germany's leader, or president, and not chancellor. As for To Kill a Mockingbird, sure I could answer questions about it as I was forced to read it in high school, had I been forced to read some other book I wouldn't be able to answer those questions. The fact that most of the other kids in my class didn't read books for fun at the time, and I had already read most of Azimov's books wouldn't be reflected at all by taking a 30 question phone survey.

And as interested as I am in literature, and even more so in history, I do have to agree that they are about as useful in the average person's life as algebra. Could something come up where you might need them, sure, but it won't really help you succeed in any way unless you go into a field focusing on it. The same can be said with most liberal arts subjects. Are things like art important, yes, never needed it in getting a job though. Personally I'd think schools should focusing on things that are needed, things that make the kids capable of getting jobs and not being complete retards, as compared to trying to make them cultured, since anyone who actually wants to learn about literature, history, art, etc. will do it anyway.

Of course the main problem I find with this is that it's a group that wants to point out how substandard education is, and push for more liberal arts education. And of course they managed to randomly call enough "teenagers" and ask them questions, supporting their argument. To be perfectly honest I'd be much more interested to hear they were going to push for science to be added to the "focus on reading and math" idea, then either literature or history.

In the survey, 1,200 17-year-olds were called in January

Does it say in the article where in the U.S. these kids were living? I can't spot it.

Maybe they don't get taught this kind of stuff in "da hood".

Edited by bagga rabbit

AceOfDeath666
Stupid Kids. I learned more about WWII thanks to video games and all those WWII movies than from all the sh*t they fed me at school.

Thank you Allied Assault smile.gif

LOL Me 2!

The only thing I don't get about this survey is that they don't get that kids only learn things like that because they had to. We are forced to memorize and regurgitate useless facts through 99% of school. When I leave school, I'm not going to forget it (well most of it I will), but I'm not going to be able to answer the same damn questions that were on my 7th grade final exam. I bet the only people who got those questions right were the ones that either take a particular interest in the subject or have history or literature as part of their schedule right now.

No, in hell you're restricted to the GTAIV section.

lol! Never a truer word spoken in jest. monocle.gif

I dont agree with what people are saying about Literature and History being useless at all. I think they are two of the more important subjects. dontgetit.gif

In the UK a suvey found that alot of primary school children didn't know where carrots and potatoes came from. confused.gif

Poor kids, they though they grew on trees or were "from the supermarket", as someone who lives in the countryside and walks around feeding pigs and digging vegetable patches I was amazed be how little these kids knew.

A while back my freind (14 years old) asked me who was hung on the cross in the Bible, I am not religious in any way but I know it was Jesus (although there were others).

I do feel the survey is a bit flawed, seeing as these questions were probably just thrown

out there like that one guy said.

But I still wonder if we'll get dumbed-down to the point to when we're as stupid as people

in 1908.

tuff_luv_capo

Honestly I have never even heard of Ralph Ellison or the Bible Job

OMG you are retarded.

LOL, phone surveys.

If you took the samekids that were surveyed, called them into a room and asked the same questions on a piece of paper, the results would be totally different

Haha the Bible Job.

But anyway, I've never heard of Ralph Ellison, and I probably couldn't tell you what Hitler's official title was. sh*t like that doesn't make someone less intelligent. Reports like these are always pretty stupid, imo.

Btw Oddsock, Job was a man in the bible.

user posted image

Haha the Bible Job.

But anyway, I've never heard of Ralph Ellison, and I probably couldn't tell you what Hitler's official title was. sh*t like that doesn't make someone less intelligent. Reports like these are always pretty stupid, imo.

No one has read the Mein Kampf?

I have an old version in german...

I think that culture is important for the "brain training" of a person.

Helps us also to think with our head...

Phone Surveys!? You mean some lonley douchebag calls to ask abunch of stupid f*cking questions on a Friday Night while you're trying to relax with a cold beer and a Woman??? I'd give stupid answers too, why the f*ck would you call people with idiotic questions about Hitler anyways?

I swear if some Idiot-tits called at 11:30pm to ask questions about Christopher Coulumbus, i'd tell the asshole the answer is always "Circle B"

fV9tG4b.gif

Haha the Bible Job.

Also Michael Bluth's brother.

4XEtraA.jpg

ya, really. how can you not make that connection?

user posted image

COME ON

Thats Gob god damn it.

I mean come on!

On topic, why would the kids in our schools need to know about people in the bible? Sunday school is only held on sunday...

I wish they would call me, so I could survey them on what I though was important. Bet you they wouldn't be able to answer any of my questions.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.