The Zombie Apocalypse

Struff Bunstridge

Struff Bunstridge

user posted image

Modern fiction (fact?) abounds with tales of a zombie uprising in society. Films like Shaun of the Dead and I Am Legend are, I believe, slowly bringing the possibility of an attack of the undead to the attention of a lazy, sluggish, ill-trained public. The zombie apocalypse, or zombocalypse, is something very close to my heart; I'd like to start a slightly tongue-in-cheek discussion about people's strategies for the day when the first rotting corpse re-animates in your back garden.

The main cause given in such publications as The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, and online groups like Zombie Squad, is that of a viral pandemic; a deadly virus spread by transmission of bodily fluids, normally saliva from a bite or blood from an open wound.

What's your choice of weaponry? Where do you go? Who do you take with you? And, perhaps more importantly, could you deal with the pyschological trauma of a shambling horde of the undead penetrating your defences with the sole purpose of devouring you and yours?

To quote Zombie Squad's manifesto, "If you can survive a zombie apocalypse, you can survive anything." With this in mind, and current affairs seemingly moving us closer to the collapse of society as we know it on a day-to-day basis,

who's ready?

It's funny you should start this topic, as I wrote a screenplay synopsis for my media studies coursework involving a zombie attack on my city of Manchester. So I suppose I'd flee to a friend's house who happens to live on a hill, highest house in my town. He has plenty of room, secure doors and many melee weapons. Take out as many as possible and take shifts so one can sleep and one can watch over the hoard. Flawed, but there we go, there's not much you can do.

I have a copy of the Zombie Survival Guide, and I have read 'Walking Dead'. In fact, I already have a plan of action if we were to have corpses rise up on our world. I can't divulge too much information, but I have joined a group entitled Zombie Survival North for the Cincinnati metropolitan area. We're ready.

Interesting thing though, my friend and I are working on a comic script where aliens are traveling to Earth for sort of the same reason as with The Day the Earth Stood Still, and when they get there, nobody is there to greet them. Instead, they are immediately overrun by zombies. So, you have visiting aliens with advanced alien technology, zombies, and human survivors trying to avoid both.

Edited by Moonshield

4XEtraA.jpg

Struff Bunstridge

For me it's all about who you choose to team up with. You don't want hystericals or violent people, or anyone who might disrupt the harmony of your group. Melee weapons are generally out, unless they're strong and bladed (remember, removing the head or destroying the brain is the only sure method of destruction), and you need a destination in mind; running aimlessly will get you eaten quicker than a Big Mac in Africa.

I'm almost thinking of getting a backpack of stuff together, like weapons and supplies and so forth. Zombocalypse is all well and good, but there's always the possibility that the apocalypse will be of an altogether more man-made nature, and it's coming soon, people.

Struff Bunstridge
Man, zombie talk is popping up everywhere.

Like your sig, for example.

The principles of zmobie survival aren't specific to the undead; anyone who's seen Mad Max will know what I'm talking about. I think it's important to be ready for a situation where they need to fend for themselves, should order be replaced by chaos.

Zombies are not really scary. Even in the movies they move pretty slow, so we could just outrun them confused.gif

Struff Bunstridge

GTAvanja, what you're forgetting is that each time someone is killed by a zombie, they themselves become one. Thus the number of undead increase constantly and exponentially. It's not their lack of mobility but their sheer numbers that poses the problem. You could outrun two or three, but fifty or a hundred? Particularly difficult if you live in a city.

Woody510, good to see some preparation, but IMO that gun is awful. It's large, bulky with limited ammo, and is no doubt terrifically noisy. Some schools of thought suggest that zombies have excellent hearing to make up for their lack of other functions, and use it a lot to navigate. The knife looks good though. I'd be all about stealth personally; a strong fishing catapult with lots of steel ball bearings and a samurai sword.

Remember what some people thought about the new millennium. I cant believe people can be that stupid. They actually thought that civilization will cease to exist. And new millennium actually started in 2001 not 2000

Same with killer bees. They never came...

And I bet some people actually believe that dead will rise from their graves. This is a sad stupid world we live in bored.gif

Don't forget, fire. Fire. Lots and lots of fire. Have a steady supply of flammable liquid (sweet, delicious liquor or petrol) and a source of ignition handy, and if done right, you can take out hundreds at a time, providing you're safe.

Struff Bunstridge
Don't forget, fire. Fire. Lots and lots of fire. Have a steady supply of flammable liquid (sweet, delicious liquor or petrol) and a source of ignition handy, and if done right, you can take out hundreds at a time, providing you're safe.

Fire would take ages to damage the brain enough to incapacitate a zombie. Seeing as they don't feel pain, they'd likely just keep advancing, setting fire to everything around them on the way, and possibly blocking off escape routes. Fire's good, but is a bit of a last-ditch resort, IMO.

However, if you leave a trail of it, you can ensure that all zombies that cross said trail will be inflicted with substantial damage. If the fire affects the legs so much that it cannot walk, it's limited to crawling or left to die (re-die... whatever) on the floor.

Struff Bunstridge

Very true. I think you should be thinking flight rather than fight, and fire's a good way of covering your back.

cold fusion 33

Awsome thread.

I think I would probably get a large shovel and head to the nearest mall a la Dead Rising biggrin.gif. I would love to get stuck inside a vegetable shop and start throwing cabbages and marrows at the advancing dead... Ahhh the dreams I have sleepy.gif .

Haha. Lol are you expecting this to happen Struff? To much XTC my friend, it has fried your brain. lol.gif

I'd make sure I'd be teamed up with people who I know won't be hysterical and do stupid things like run off and come back with a load of zombies after them. Plus I'd make sure I was at least teamed up with a couple of strong guys that I know. Have some muscle behind us.

As for weapons, f*ck knows what I would use. Anything to hand probably, there isn't a lot to use around here...that's sharp and long enough.

As for where I'd go. I think I'd either go to a mall, supermarket, or out in the middle of know where.

Struff Bunstridge

Haha, I've played that game. Thought it was f*cking amazing, the amount of interactivity with your surroundings was something I've never seen before. And possibly something future GTAs could benefit from?

But I digress. Speaking of shopping malls, what's anyone's thoughts on enclosed spaces? Strikes me that at least half of all people in movies and books who hole up in the local mall get eaten; zombies always get into the mall. If you're planning on setting up a fortress, I'd go for something like a prison.

what? suicidal.gif

What a sh*t reply to a topic that's well set out and with a detailed original post. If you couldn't get what this is about from that OP's post, you're hopeless and should probably move the f*ck on.

I've been meaning to pick up the Zombie Apocalypse book for ages, though it's more geared towards Americans I hear. Surely a Zombie Apocalypse would be a f*cking dream for most people. It's the kind of stuff gamers fantasize about.

Bring it on.

FT2DB7K.png

If that would ever happen, I would kill myself before the zombies get me.

Thats the pussies way out.

I would raid my garage for golf clubs, baseball bats and anything else that can cause damage to zombies. After that id get the keys to my dads car assuming my parents and brother are all dead. Id get my schoolbag pack it up with some food and equipment and then set out on my journey of survival, id make my way to the nearest mercedes or BMW dealership or find a house with one outside, then i would get the keys for that car go to the petrol station fill it up and drive to anfield sports center to get a sh*tload of offensive weapons.

user posted image

I would first probably jack a giant truck, then drive down to the local gun shop. Then learn how to shoot the guns... hopefully I won't be dead by then.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Vanilla Shake

Strikes me that at least half of all people in movies and books who hole up in the local mall get eaten; zombies always get into the mall. If you're planning on setting up a fortress, I'd go for something like a prison.

But malls can have plentiful supplies of food, drinks, etc.

user posted image

Edited by Vanilla Shake

TC718 / <629 / CF5

NGEh8XV.png

Struff Bunstridge

You can really tell this is a GTA forum. Everyone'll be heading to their nearest Ammunation to stock up on M4s.

But I digress. Speaking of shopping malls, what's anyone's thoughts on enclosed spaces? Strikes me that at least half of all people in movies and books who hole up in the local mall get eaten; zombies always get into the mall. If you're planning on setting up a fortress, I'd go for something like a prison.

In every GOOD zombie movie, the survivor's plans fail because of the humans, not the zombies. Either from outside influence or the breaking down of the group.

In Dawn of the Dead, for example, the entrance of the biker gang and the survivor's greed to protect the mall from the bikers is what leads to their downfall.

So you should be more worried about your fellow human beings rather than the zombie threat.

FT2DB7K.png

cold fusion 33

You can really tell this is a GTA forum. Everyone'll be heading to their nearest Ammunation to stock up on M4s.

M4's? M4'S??? You ponce, I'm going for this:

user posted image

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.