Competition for GTA?

BlueSpot

Which game are video game fans anticipating the most? There can only be one answer: GTA IV. Pretty soon the newest edition of the cult game should appear in shop shelves. They have largely have zero serious competition– or do they? At the Game Developers Conference one person spoke up, whose newest project seems to have what to takes to be mentioned in the same breath as GTA. The talk is of Lemmings founder David Jones, who incidentally is also the founder of GTA. Seven years ago he left Rockstar North and founded RealTime Worlds: The video game community first received the news in early 2005 that RTW was working on a GTA type of game, where players could play against each other online. Even the title was already determined: APB, derived from All Points Bulletin (a commonly used police radio term in the US).

The release date was given as 2007 back then. But as time went by APB was forgotten. Which only made the surprise greater that in all likelihood APB will be finished by this year. If one believes in Dave Jones, then the Game should breathe fresh air into the gaming world. In APB there will no longer be any set character models, instead the player creates the figure themselves. The more experienced the player becomes, the more possibilities they have. Though at the beginning the player has to decide which side of the law they wish to play on.

As the news portal Golem reports, APB generates an endless amount of new missions, which the human participants can complete in groups. The goal of a gang made up of online players could, for example, be to rob a bank, without being apprehended by a group of also human controlled police. There will be NPCs in APB, although the world will primarily be populated with real players. If the graphics implementation and gameplay are as good as the idea, then the makers of GTA IV might truly have some competition. All Points Bulletin could be a hit similar to World of Warcraft.

source: http://news.idealo.co.uk/news/679/competit...-this-year.html

Why not get both?

tounge.gif

I really don't think Rockstar has any competition with this. GTA IV is coming out before it, and already has a standing with fans of the series.

CookPassBabtridge

The video is frankly, a bit sh*te. Cheesy catalogue-model characters and no atmosphere.

GTA has the hold on this genre and its fairly pointless others trying

fingerandthumb

Yep i read about this last year and have been following it, its not really any competition for GTA though as GTA is such a different game.

ABP is only multiplayer as i understand but it looks great they made Crackdown as well but it was not as good or anywhere near as immersive as GTA IV will be. What other game do you get distracted from main missions to do stupid things or create pile ups and all those other sick things u GTA fans do lol biggrin.gif

Good shout thought ABP will be great but not competition for GTA

GTA is now well estabilished so most people are going to choose a well-known brand as an unknown game. We dont know what GTA 4s online is like yet.

I agree with the above posts.....and what does it really matter? Different release dates, different [somewhat] gameplay, etc, etc, I don't believe that this thread needs to exist any longer!

it sounds interesting and what i've seen and read from (analogue captured) screenshot's over @ IGN it looks nice and it's got my attention tounge2.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

But GTA is there to stay biggrin.gif IT RULEZ (from GTA 1 till GTA IV cool.gif )

Edited by Sjoeter

The video is frankly, a bit sh*te. Cheesy catalogue-model characters and no atmosphere.

GTA has the hold on this genre and its fairly pointless others trying

Now, that isn't what you'd call an enterprising spirit talking. If everyone were to adopt that stance, there'd be no more advancements in that segment of gaming as everyone would already take as proof positive that R* ar the only ones who CAN do it right. Yes, I'll agree...so far, they are the only ones who have DONE so but that isn't to say that someone else can't come along and maybe produce something better.

I'm a R* fan, not just of GTA but most of their other games so they're huge in my eyes; but one of the founders of GTA has his own co. and is looking to do a GTA-like game as a MMO? Hey, why not? Its not my cup of tea; I generally don't do online gaming anymore just because of the little sh*ts who just can't help themselves and MUST cheat to get an edge. Its not like they need it, they just do it because they can and that just frustrates the piss outta me but hey, what can you do? Stop screwin around online, which is what I did.

So, I'll probably never play this game unless they include a single-player campaign offline; but I applaud the man and his ideas. It takes some balls to stand up to a juggernaut like GTA and try to bring something similar to the table; many have tried and ultimately failed.

CookPassBabtridge

My post was a bit curt I admit biggrin.gif

However, looking at the screenshot above, its too clone-like to be of much merit IMO. I think if a company wants to take on GTA, it needs to be in a different guise. Similar mechanics, but take it away from the whole modern urban setting.

For me, its the whole mini-culture that GTA features that sets it above the rest.

My post was a bit curt I admit biggrin.gif

However, looking at the screenshot above, its too clone-like to be of much merit IMO. I think if a company wants to take on GTA, it needs to be in a different guise. Similar mechanics, but take it away from the whole modern urban setting.

For me, its the whole mini-culture that GTA features that sets it above the rest.

well its only interesting as its an mmo. if it was just another gta lookalike (like that crappy saints row) then its no bother to look at

APB looks like it will be a good game, but I dont think it competes with GTA. They are a different style of game. With GTA, the core experience is going to be in the offline play where you can play the story and explore the whole city as you wish. APB will be an MMO, most likely pay to play, and you can choose to fight for the law instead of against it. The launch dates will also be pretty far apart.

APB is a game that is focusing on the playing through the network . there is game is called " The Outsider " , it is produced by David Jones , this game will have different outcomes in the story and it is a sandbox game . in fact there is no game will compete with GTA , but it is good to play the other sandbox games such as " 2D2V & The Outsider & Mafia 2 ...etc " .

Which game are video game fans anticipating the most? There can only be one answer: GTA IV. Pretty soon the newest edition of the cult game should appear in shop shelves. They have largely have zero serious competition– or do they? At the Game Developers Conference one person spoke up, whose newest project seems to have what to takes to be mentioned in the same breath as GTA. The talk is of Lemmings founder David Jones, who incidentally is also the founder of GTA. Seven years ago he left Rockstar North and founded RealTime Worlds: The video game community first received the news in early 2005 that RTW was working on a GTA type of game, where players could play against each other online. Even the title was already determined: APB, derived from All Points Bulletin (a commonly used police radio term in the US).

The release date was given as 2007 back then. But as time went by APB was forgotten. Which only made the surprise greater that in all likelihood APB will be finished by this year. If one believes in Dave Jones, then the Game should breathe fresh air into the gaming world. In APB there will no longer be any set character models, instead the player creates the figure themselves. The more experienced the player becomes, the more possibilities they have. Though at the beginning the player has to decide which side of the law they wish to play on.

As the news portal Golem reports, APB generates an endless amount of new missions, which the human participants can complete in groups. The goal of a gang made up of online players could, for example, be to rob a bank, without being apprehended by a group of also human controlled police. There will be NPCs in APB, although the world will primarily be populated with real players. If the graphics implementation and gameplay are as good as the idea, then the makers of GTA IV might truly have some competition. All Points Bulletin could be a hit similar to World of Warcraft.

that is f*cking sh*t how can it be compared to gta 1

it sounds interesting and what i've seen and read from (analogue captured) screenshot's over @ IGN it looks nice and it's got my attention tounge2.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

But GTA is there to stay biggrin.gif IT RULEZ (from GTA 1 till GTA IV cool.gif )

They can throw fancy screenshots around forever.. doesn't impress me much. All they've managed to tell us about the game is there's no storyline, its all multiplayer online, you can change your clothes, get cars/weapons, steal sh*t and have gun-fights with the police. Who are also people.. but what they have failed to mention is.. what incentive are they giving people to want to be the police in the game?

Plus I haven't seen anywhere where I read anything about buying property or anything else in APB.. so whats really the point? I can rob a few banks, get some better clothes.. and then I've got nothing to do but walk around in nice clothes. lol

Y'all may get jumpy when no storyline games like The Club come out.. any game I can get tired of in a few hours isn't gonna get me excited.

GTA/GTAIII started the entire genre. In a matter of speaking, there can't be any competition because GTA has already done it, and did it amazingly. Since GTA started the genre and was so popular, pretty much all the competition is a rip off of GTA.

I was just havin a lil fun w/ya Cook; I agree for the most part. I wonder if any dev group would be willing to make a game in the sandbox genre and take the necessary risks in order to make it stand out- something innovative and never before seen (or if seen, never before implemented in such manner) - and even if they do, will it really be a GTA clone/look-a-like?

I mean, would it have to be? I mean, when you think GTA, what comes to mind? THAT is what these developers need to address; if they want to takedown the King, they gotta prepare their strategy first.

SR was an ok game...I say that begrudgingly because it was a shallow experience overall; but it was more than a half hearted attempt. At least those guys realized that they had to come with something other than the latest GTA offering- in this case, it was better graphics I think. The lack of a lock-on aiming mechanism just forced one to be a bit more patient and tactical when approaching firefights; the controls were decent although (to me) the weapons were a little on the weak side and the variety was less-than-stellar. So it was just ok. I mean, I got it in the bargain bin section for $9.99, you can't truly beat that. I'm just glad I didn't spend the full purchase price when it came out; I might've been sore at that.

I'm of the mind that in order to truly compete with GTA, its gonna take a LOT - because we as GTA fans are ruthless towards any competition. Myself included.

CookPassBabtridge

I think the main element with GTA is humour, and thats what the copycat stuff lacks.

Its always a parody of something, and when a game tries to get serious with all that, it lacks soul.

Watching that video above, it just seems really dry to me.

GTA/GTAIII started the entire genre. In a matter of speaking, there can't be any competition because GTA has already done it, and did it amazingly. Since GTA started the genre and was so popular, pretty much all the competition is a rip off of GTA.

Well, GTA has not done an MMO, and since that's a major part of the gameplay I'd say that's new. I doubt APB will be anything close to how good GTA4 will be, but neither of the two games are out yet so I'll keep my mouth shut. Let me put it this way, I'd like to try APB at a buddies house before I buy it, but I've had GTA4 reserved for around 8 months.

IMO there's no competition. 1st because GTA is GTA and APB is APB, each one has their own features, GTA for its gameplay and stories and APB for its MMO feature. 2nd, most GTA fans will also have APB (and vice versa). Both games have everything to be successful.

The graphics looks kinda cartoony to me for some reason, and I hate it when there's texts like: SILENCE ALARM, ALARM SILENCED. It just looks unproffessional (now I never could spell this word so don't give me a hard time tounge.gif)

Well, GTA has not done an MMO, and since that's a major part of the gameplay I'd say that's new. I doubt APB will be anything close to how good GTA4 will be, but neither of the two games are out yet so I'll keep my mouth shut. Let me put it this way, I'd like to try APB at a buddies house before I buy it, but I've had GTA4 reserved for around 8 months.

Well yeah but I meant gameplay and features. Sure they haven't done an MMO but I meant "done it" by basically creating the genre. Basically, any game in the genre have ripped off GTA. Adding multiplayer is really adding anything new that really makes it different. It just adds more depth to the gameplay by versing others.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about APB in the near future. After watching the demos shown at the GDC this moth, I definitely think it has potential. Great graphics and an innovative gameplay mechanic are certainly things to take note of. I think it looks good.

It will never be a GTA beater, but that doesn't mean it won't offer up some strong competition come release time.

werenotfugazi

See, this is what I was talking about in some of my other posts...

GTA games, for me, are so damn good, and R* has set the bar so high, that they actually ruin other games. That's certainly not to say that I won't eventually be giving other games a chance. The APB video looks ok, but too much of it appears a bit stiff, and contrived. There's no way APB can touch GTA. In APB's defense, it does appear that they've got some interesting physics. I really liked the trash floating around in the street, but it's too bad that annoying "picking lock", and "disabling alarm" text has to take up so much of the screen. It's hard to tell if APB is a sandbox game, or just a racer similar to Need For Speed: Most Wanted, so I don't know about this game yet. What I do know is that GTAIV is going to wipe out all any, and all competition for many months, or even years after it's release. While I can't blame the other guys for trying, I'm usually disappointed in some way with other driving games.

IMO, R* is the undisputed king of the sandbox, reigning supreme over all their "competition". During new GTA releases, I am overjoyed to hand my money over to R* every damn time! In fact, I have so much faith that IV is going kick so much ass, that I wouldn't mind paying R* a little more if it would further help them out of financial trouble. I think GTA is more than twice as good as other driving games, and R*'s commitment to quality gameplay, and attention to detail is f*cking mindblowing! R* is a company that is truly focused on not just pushing the boundaries of gamer satisfaction, but knocking all the f*cking walls down! Honestly, I'd still buy IV even if it was $99.99. GTA is just SO f*cking worth every last penny!

Edited by werenotfugazi

I doubt it will beat GTA (especially after seeing the new previews of GTAIV tounge.gif ) but it may be a great game never the less. And it was mainly Dan and Sam that made GTA to be honest, it was their idea from the start rahkstar2.gif

APB is going to be awsome I cant wait to get it. As for competition its impossible for them to compete, because both games aren't released on the same date, and APB is a MMO. Most people who like both games will buy both of them at least I will.

Edited by CrazyJim

i mean it could be fun.... but the video reminds me of Saints Row. It just looks like it has no atmosphere to it... that same artificial made by MTV feel.