EasterEgg

The GTA series goes like this:

-Grand Theft Auto

-Grand Theft Auto 2

-Grand Theft Auto III

-Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

-Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

-Grand Theft Auto IV

R* said that Vice City and San Andreas are essentially add-ons to GTA III. But if we follow the number system, shouldn't this be GTA VI, instead of IV?

-Grand Theft Auto

-Grand Theft Auto 2

-Grand Theft Auto III

-Grand Theft Auto IV

R* said that Vice City and San Andreas are essentially add-ons to GTA III. But if we follow the number system, shouldn't this be GTA VI, instead of IV?

ugh....

minus 40 man points.......

It goes by universes. There was the original Grand Theft Auto, which also held the Londons, there was Grand Theft Auto 2; GTA III set a new universe, based on the original. Everything after (Vice, SanAn, Stories, Advance) were set in the very same universe. Now GTAIV is going tos et a new universe. Clear enough?

ZMHer.png

TcLvb.pngGyRHV.png

It goes by universes. There was the original Grand Theft Auto, which also held the Londons, there was Grand Theft Auto 2; GTA III set a new universe, based on the original. Everything after (Vice, SanAn, Stories, Advance) were set in the very same universe. Now GTAIV is going tos et a new universe. Clear enough?

cookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

...I didn't have the patience

groovymonkey2003

So we can expect further GTA games on the GTA IV "universe" (engine) to have full titles, and not roman numerals ... that is, if R* follow their pattern.

-Grand Theft Auto

-Grand Theft Auto 2

-Grand Theft Auto III

-Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto I

Grand Theft Auto II

Grand Theft Auto III

-Vice City

-San Andreas

Grand Theft Auto IV

You answered it yourself. You said that Vice City and San Andreas were ADD-ONS. This should be Grand Theft Auto IV... oh wait, it is!!

I understand that VC and SA are in the same "universe", but then how is IV any different (except for location, even though VC is in Florida, and SA is in the West Coast)?

Because if you compare GTA IV's storyline and setting to the past-gen games, you'll realize it isn't connected with the stories of GTA III. And it's a completely different universe too. You could even sort the games in development order, since GTA IV is using RAGE, instead of Renderware.

So yeah, that's why. And it's a new evolution... i can recall a quote where one of the Houser brothers have said, this game is as big, as GTA III was compared to the top-down GTAs

No. It seems, to me at least, that Rockstar uses the roman numeral when GTA make a big evolutionary leap. III was a big evolutionary leap to 3D, VC and SA were built with basically the same engine with "slightly" better graphics. IV is the dawn of a new GTA age, the next gen age to be exact. IV is a evolution of the past games, therefore they introduce it with a roman numeral. Other GTA games with the same engine as IV will most likely be made in the next years. And we will see GTA V only when Rockstar believes that they are able to make a huge leap from the previous GTAs.

Vanilla Shake

For one, this is supposed to be the next big GTA, the big leap to next-gen (or should I say current-gen), and this is supposed to be groundbreaking, much like Grand Theft Auto III. Naming it after another fictional city wouldn't have as much of a revolutionizing impact. Naming it Grand Theft Auto IV tells people that this one is going to be big, that it's going to be very different from past entries in the series. It also might be the beginning of a new string of games as well that interconnect storylines and characters. So, I'd expect a few games similar to Vice City and San Andreas (in terms of expansions), and then maybe later on Grand Theft Auto V.

TC718 / <629 / CF5

NGEh8XV.png

True.. if they were counting the Londons and the two Stories.. this would be closer to GTA X than it would to being GTA VI

no wait

you forgot liberty city stories and vice city stories, if vice city and san andreas count then why not those?

this should be VIII.

i figure vice city and san andreas not to be bonfide full games.

yes they have a large story line and lots of gameplay hours but they didnt update the engine, and you can still see things from GTA3 in san andreas, they just "add-on".

cookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

...I didn't have the patience

people like the TC want to make me put my head through my LCD monitor

Ronmar The Only
Bump to the top

Why in the hell did you bump this? Your question was already answered correctly, there is not more need of discussion. Damn, why can people not understand that the number just means "a leap" or "a new trilogy" in the series. Damnit....

Bump to the top

Why in the hell did you bump this? Your question was already answered correctly, there is not more need of discussion. Damn, why can people not understand that the number just means "a leap" or "a new trilogy" in the series. Damnit....

Ronmar summed it up quite nicely. You've already gotten your answer -- GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas were not a continuation of the series per se; they were expansions, or variations, on the GTA III chapter.

If you want to get technical, you can look at it this way:

- Grand Theft Auto

- Grand Theft Auto 2

- Grand Theft Auto 2: London

- Grand Theft Auto III

- Grand Theft Auto III: Vice City

- Grand Theft Auto III: San Andreas

- Grand Theft Auto III: Liberty City Stories

- Grand Theft Auto III: Vice City Stories

- Grand Theft Auto IV

All of the GTA3 titles exist in their own universe; every game tied into one another.

GTA IV is stepping away from that GTA3 "world".

Oh yeah: don't "bump" threads. I get nasty and the modstick tends to slip.

zUd3j4P.png