How can I find out if my TV is HD?

zooloo75

In my living room I have a Big Screen TV (REally Big!!) about 30 inches tall...and about 32 inches wide...If not, then its bigger than that. The screen is flat and feels like plastic, but its pretty big in the back...

I dont think thats theexact measurement of it, but its as close as i could get it without a ruler...

So how could I find out if its HD? Its a sony tv, and I got it around 03 - 04...

I doubt that I have a manual or anything for it...

Im only 12, I don't know much about TV's....

Also, do I need an HDTV to use an HDMI cable for an xbox 360?

Edited by zooloo75

No, it's not HD. HD screens are widescreen.

If you post the model number, however, we may find out whether or not it will play progressive scan.

And yes, you need to have an HD to use HDMI.

Also I'd just like to point out that even if it was HD, an 03-04 TV wouldn't have HDMI.

user posted image

user posted image

Give us a model number, I assume there isn't a HD ready sticker. When did you buy it?

I don't know, my parents bought it when I was around 4 years old, 2001 or so...im 12 years old now.

Hmmm...theres an S.Video thingy on it...

these have come and gone, for the most part. Old skool smoothness now, forget about it.

carries 480i or 576i resolution video,

You see? this is very small.

LUCK FOR A BUCK!!!!! f*ck Yea!

GTAF's Most Annoying Unbanned Member.

user posted image

bai. -jllr

Im only 12, I don't know much about TV's....

Don't you have to be 13 to register at these forums? sly.gif

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

...no?

TOS:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this BB. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

Rules:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=137906

I think you have to be 13 to sign up for Anything online without express parental consent tounge.gif

Even though I may be wrong... But we're not here to young boy you. Your TV isn't HD, and if

you get an HD TV, don't go higher than 32 inches unless it will be sat far away from in a

very large room, the smaller screen when up close is much better than big.

user posted image

bai. -jllr

That post was so full of misinformation, derty, that I think you should be punished. On all counts. tounge.gif

My buddy has a 56' LCD in his 200sq ft living room. We sit 5 feet away from it. Needless to say, it's glorious.

Edit - 56"! Not 56'!

Edited by Otter

booooo flood control.

Really? I notice that the closer I am to a large HD TV the uglier it is. mercie_blink.gif

user posted image

bai. -jllr

... maybe on an old, low rez plasma, I can see that. On an LCD, I can sit a foot away from a large 1080p image (not even able to take in the entire image) and it looks groovy.

I love my mums 42" LCD, its awesome for watching TV on, but I want to get Composite/HDMI input for my computer monitor. (19" Widescreen)

90FHTZo.png

Plasma, yes. I've had most contact with plasmas. 1080 though.

I know new LCD is much better than plasma now, must be the explanationz.

user posted image

bai. -jllr

The funny thing is, low rez plasma screens (less than 720p even!) are often listed as "1080i"

It's hard to avoid these things these days.

I'm pretty sure when you register it says "I agree to the terms and are exactly or above 13 years of age.

90FHTZo.png

I'm pretty sure when you register it says "I agree to the terms and are exactly or above 13 years of age.

....you're probably right. I didn't register a new account, I only went as far as reading the terms of service.

Pico, I eat my hat.

....you're probably right. I didn't register a new account, I only went as far as reading the terms of service.

Pico, I eat my hat.

Only if it's a top hat. Most other kinds give me indigestion.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

May I have a bite?

pass the salt?

lol

How can they false advertise resolution like that? Can you recommend a brand that

I won't have to worry about getting the sham with if I go for HD soon?

I think you have to be 13 or older to accept any TOS without express parental consent.

But who's counting? And I can't vouch for other countries, possibly not other states as well.

user posted image

bai. -jllr

Derty, you should look for the native resolution of the monitor.

720p video is:

1280x720

Most 2006/7 era plasmas have a native resolution of:

1,024x768 (less than 720p)

Flat panel LCDs, and newer plasmas have a native resolution of:

1,366x768 square pixels. (slightly higher than 720p, to display godawful 1080i content)

As for 1080p:

1920x1080

This way, directly referencing the native resolution, you can cut through all "HD READY" and other assorted marketing bullsh*t terms.

If you go up to the screen and you look really closely and you see little red green and blue dots it is probably not HD

If you go up to the screen and you look really closely and you see little red green and blue dots it is probably not HD

Wrong.

Please don't spread even more misinformation, dude. If your eyes are that bad, HD is lost on you already.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.