Death of HD-DVD

xSTALKERx

Upon hearing of the demise of HD-DVD, I recall way back hearing about space problems on the 360 due to it using regular DVD's and an (unconfirmed) rumor that at some point there would be a HD-DVD version of the game to take advantage of the space.

Now, if the rumors that M$ is thinking of a BlueRay addon for the Xbox360 are true, do you think they would release the game on BlueRay for the 360 just like they are doing for the PS3??? (they would still have a DVD version, for anyone who doesn't purchase the addon if/when it becomes available.)

Upon hearing of the demise of HD-DVD, I recall way back hearing about space problems on the 360 due to it using regular DVD's and an (unconfirmed) rumor that at some point there would be a HD-DVD version of the game to take advantage of the space.

Now, if the rumors that M$ is thinking of a BlueRay addon for the Xbox360 are true, do you think they would release the game on BlueRay for the 360 just like they are doing for the PS3??? (they would still have a DVD version, for anyone who doesn't purchase the addon if/when it becomes available.)

lol?

Simple. No

The Blu Ray/ Hd dvd drives are external and cost an additional 180 I believe.

And the fact that it has since been confirmed that there were no space problems and that was just as you said a rumor.

Edit: A guy I know showed me the newest DVD in the market that he has. It's a Double layer double sided DVD. It holds about the same amount as the Blu Ray at that so that would solve any space problems right there.

Edited by trains

It will make no difference

Microsoft have said they would never allow a game to be released on HD-DVD, Im sure its impossible for the console to run a game off the drive, same for any future BluRay player, they are purely for movies.

I won't have anything to do with GTA IV, but I'd imagine that it may mean the next GTA game will be larger since they will be able to put all of their games on a single format (Blu-Ray), which is larger than the DVD format they're using for the 360 version.

No 360 game uses HD-DVD, because its not a standard feature. Maybe X720 will have Blu-Ray, or the 360 can get Blu-Ray (but only for movies)

So GTAs for 360 will all be on DVD-DL.

Sony offcourse went full on next-gen and puts a Blu-Ray drive in every PS3 from day one. Just like CD for PS1 and DVD for PS2.

I think (this is only THINK) that MS said if blue ray beat hddvd then they would make an addon (similar to hd dvd player) that supports blue ray.

Someone piss on my theory or back it up please.

A guy I know showed me the newest DVD in the market that he has. It's a Double layer double sided DVD. It holds about the same amount as the Blu Ray at that so that would solve any space problems right there.

Sorry if I misunderstood but wouldn't that mean flipping the disk half way through? Doesn't sound great to me.

Also don't Sony own the patent for blu-ray and couldn't they deny Microsoft permission to create blu-ray products or have I got that wrong?

~>>TsingTao<<~

Let me add sonny, Sony owns BluRay, There is no way on this Earth Sony would "lend" this tech to Microsoft. This Tech is Priceless to Sony.

But it is a good question wether or not the xbox version will differ? Because afterall BluRay can hold way more than HD-DVD can.

Its like a finger pointing away to the Moon,

Dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.

MSN: [email protected]

Grand Theft Auto IV

29 April 2008

EA Games® made me do it £££££ :(

Sony doesn't own Blu-Ray, Sony are part of the Blu-ray Disc Association. It isn't their say if Microsoft used Blu-Ray technology and they have already said it would be a great move for the gaming industry.

Let me add sonny, Sony owns BluRay, There is no way on this Earth Sony would "lend" this tech to Microsoft. This Tech is Priceless to Sony.

But it is a good question wether or not the xbox version will differ? Because afterall BluRay can hold way more than HD-DVD can.

They could license the tech though, thats a big possibility. No doubt Sony is desperate to start making some money back on it nad licensing is like free money as far as Sony is concerned.

~>>TsingTao<<~
Sony doesn't own Blu-Ray, Sony are part of the Blu-ray Disc Association. It isn't their say if Microsoft used Blu-Ray technology and they have already said it would be a great move for the gaming industry.

Get me proof to this mate, I dont care what you say until you prove this Sony does own Blu-Ray Disc.

Grand Theft Auto IV

29 April 2008

Simple. No

And the fact that it has since been confirmed that there were no space problems and that was just as you said a rumor.

Edit: A guy I know showed me the newest DVD in the market that he has. It's a Double layer double sided DVD. It holds about the same amount as the Blu Ray at that so that would solve any space problems right there.

That is wrong. There is no DVD on the market that can hold what Blu-Ray can...

And even if there was, Microsoft has stated that games will only be put on DVD-9 discs for the duration of the xbox360's life.

And also, Sony does NOT own Blu-Ray, for the people who think they do. They DO NOT. Blu-Ray was developed by the Blu-Ray Disc Association, and it is owned by them, not Sony. Sony is just the major backing force behind Blu-Ray.

**EDIT** Also, I think Sony would promote the use of Blu-Ray in the next xbox. There are Blu-Ray players in computers that use Microsoft Windows, and they would have to be compatible with Microsoft products, so I think it's possible for the next xbox to have a Blu-Ray drive.

Edited by josh995

Get me proof to this mate, I dont care what you say until you prove this Sony does own Blu-Ray Disc.

Hes right, check out wikipedia (just looked myself).

~>>TsingTao<<~

DVD-9 is Dual Layer right? 8.5 gb?

Someone upload this Sony info, So others can see too.

Grand Theft Auto IV

29 April 2008

I can go and say that Elvis is the lead programmer for GTAIV on Wikipedia.

Do I even have to say it?

It's not reliable.

I can go and say that Elvis is the lead programmer for GTAIV on Wikipedia.

Do I even have to say it?

It's not reliable.

Here, I think this source is reliable enough. I mean, after all, it is the official Blu-Ray website.

Blu-Ray Official Website

Sony is just a supporter of Blu-Ray, not the owner.

how many times do i have to explain this???

they dont make games on an HD DVD!!!

GTA3Freak-2001

Look regardless of what happens its all come too late for GTA IV, the game is essentially done and has been created for the formats and media they had at the time so Blu-Ray is a non-issue.

Future GTA's maybe, it all depends how MS handle the coming years. I imagine in the short term MS will release a Blu-Ray addon for but like the HD-DVD addon will be for movies only so no benifit for games. By the time there is another GTA MS may have a new console that has Blu-Ray built in, who knows honestly.

they dont make ANYTHING on HD DVD

ok I know they do but...

they dont make ANYTHING on HD DVD

ok I know they do but...

i should have reworded it

they dont make games on HD DVD!!!

Im pretty sure that Microsoft knew that HD DVD wouldnt last long ans thats why thy didnt put therir games on it.

Simple. No

Haven't those double layer DVDs been around for a while now? Why don't they just use those?

It means nothing for xbox games in general.. Even if theres a blu-ray addon in the near future, it would only be used for movies.

~>>TsingTao<<~

Who wants to bet me £500 squidders that MS dont ever get their hands on Blu-Ray, I'm so certain of this I'll throw in my £2k Motorbike.

Grand Theft Auto IV

29 April 2008

Who wants to bet me £500 squidders that MS dont ever get their hands on Blu-Ray, I'm so certain of this I'll throw in my £2k Motorbike.

Why wouldn't they. I don't like Microsoft, but it doesn't change that fact that business is run by money and Microsoft have lots of it.

Microsoft: "$100M good?"

Blu-ray: "Kk. smile.gif "

If Microsoft wants something, they get it. The only way they wouldn't get their hands on it is if they didn't want it.