No Child Left Behind

Hayden

The issues go back quite a while, but the USA has been slowly growing stupider, since around the 1970s. I am only intending on being factual and encourage debate here, I don't want any nationalists. What's gone wrong? Is this some massive Orwellian ploy to leave the country unintelligent, therefore making them easier to control, or has it all just been a big mistake? Here's a recent news story on the issue:

Students don't grasp U.S. history

Today is Presidents Day, so it's an appropriate time to see who has a good handle on national history or government. If you think, however, the nation's college students have the most knowledge on the subjects, think again.

College freshmen earned an average grade of F, or just 53.7 percent, when asked a series of questions about U.S. presidents and key historical events from their times in office. After four years of college, their knowledge didn't improve much.

College seniors got just 55.4 percent on the 60-question quiz given to 14,000 students at 50 colleges and universities across the country as part of a study designed to test their knowledge of America's history, government, international relations and market economy.

"In this election, we are focusing on the youth vote, and it's great that more kids are coming out to vote. But we worry that it's become a kind of cult of personality," says Richard Brake, director of the Lehrman American Studies Center at the Intercollegiate Studies Institute in Wilmington, Del., which commissioned the civic learning study, conducted by researchers at the University of Connecticut's Department of Public Policy.

"If these kids don't know what has happened in the past, our history, then we fear they are going to be fodder for sweeping rhetoric," said Mr. Brake, a former professor who taught American history and government for seven years.

The study, "Failing Our Students, Failing America," was the second of its kind from ISI. It was first completed in 2005 and then repeated in the fall of 2006. It surveyed students at elite institutions as well as small and public schools, asking questions about such things as the Constitution, the Civil War, the New Deal and the Cuban missile crisis.

It found that Harvard University seniors did best, with a grade of just 69.6 percent — a D-plus. In general, the higher a college ranked on the widely publicized U.S. News & World Report rankings, the lower it ranked on civic learning. At schools such as Cornell, Duke, Yale and Princeton, all ranked in the magazine's top 12, seniors actually did worse than freshman.

Why should anyone care? Because of the global diplomatic climate, nation's future remains at stake, Mr. Brake argues.

A clear trend from these results is that American undergraduates know very little about the crucial moments and competing visions of American foreign policy," he said. "That is deeply troubling, especially for a nation currently at war and struggling to determine its proper role on the world stage."

Winfield Myers, a former history professor who co-founded the nonprofit Democracy Project, a foundation designed to improve the nation's civic responsibility and understanding, blames the problem of civic understanding on the way teachers are educated in colleges of education.

"Rather than being taught the meat of a discipline, be it history or political science, they are taught methodologies of how to teach," said Mr. Myers, who now leads Campus Watch, a project of the Middle East Forum.

College curriculums also have broadened, even at small schools, and students are no longer required to take a prescribed set of foundational or core courses, leaving many to graduate with few courses related to government and history, Mr. Brake said.

"What we would really want is for a university to have a notion of itself and a confidence to say 'We are the adults here,' and there are certain things that you have to take to be an adult in our society," he said. "We should also try to improve the teaching of American history and government."

Source

To finish, here is my pathetic attempt at a political joke (click to enlarge):

user posted image

Okay, I give in.

Can we f*cking stop with these America bashing threads? Lets talk about something else for a change. Like, how bad British food is, huh?!

This thread is now about

I f*cking enjoy Popeye Cartoons. They are such great laughs.

I thinkm hes be r fansy stralian.

Yeah, education sucks in America. Nothing is new. But I also think it's given people the chance to educate themselves. Which isn't a great thing. But a good step toward a better society.

You could say that education throughout the world sucks. In fact, I do say that. The problem is we don't have an International Standard and criteria on which to teach the youth of the world.

Yeah, education sucks in America. Nothing is new. But I also think it's given people the chance to educate themselves. Which isn't a great thing. But a good step toward a better society.

I was born in Australia, but I am also a USAn Citizen. I'm not saying that Australia is much better, but I'm focusing on the USA.

I don't appreciate all of this and request that a mod move this to the debate forum.

I didn't mean it as in you thought you were better. It was kind of part of the character of the stereotype I was portraying. After all Americans are rabid bigots.

This thread is now about

I f*cking enjoy Popeye Cartoons. They are such great laughs.

There is this one Popeye cartoon I've seen called "You're a sap Mr. Jap." from when we were at war with Japan. I find it interesting how politically incorrect it is. Of course I find propaganda interesting in general, and especially propaganda used to vilify the enemy.

As for this topic, I find it hilarious that anyone actually thinks intelligence can be measured by whether or not someone knows things like "The dominant theme in the Lincoln-Douglas debates." Yes, arcane knowledge that will never be useful to anyone unless they're a history teacher is the only way to measure intelligence. I'm sure all those people at NASA are kicking themselves for being so goddamn stupid, because anyone who didn't read The Republic by Plato is obviously a retard. dozingoff.gif

@OP

I don't appreciate the fact that you still have the ability to post, and I request that a mod move you to the busted group.

What do you expect? You are bashing a nation that is very well represented on these forums. Do you just want them to sit down and allow you to tear into it?

If you don't like the replies, don't post these sort of topics.

Drunk Russian 9

I am victorius in finding the free weed substitute!

I cannot stop watching it . . . omg.

I am victorius in finding the free weed substitute!

I cannot stop watching it . . . omg.

Wow, that actually works, for a few seconds at least.

As for the business at hand, that is not very new news. The education system is at its poorest under Bush, and really needs to be changed if America want to uphold themselves as the world's greatest nation.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy

Disclaimer

InformationLiberation is here for the expressed purpose of liberating information. Our site should be treated simply as a catalog of information of real significance, which, unfortunately, is predominantly ignored by our mass media for reasons few fully understand. We strongly believe in freedom of thought and freedom of opinion. We are not here to "push" our beliefs onto you. You have a right to believe what ever you want to believe.

That said, obviously InformationLiberation does not necessarily agree with, or endorse, everything on our web page. We often post articles specifically because we disagree with them. Unlike some, we trust and respect our readers ability to discern the truth for themselves without some authority figure telling them what to believe. Fortunately for us all, once presented with the truth, human beings have an innate ability to discern what is and isn't true, and, through reason and self-reflection, can begin to understand exactly how and why they had been deceived. 

You have to love a disclaimer like that.

Or the youtube like the one they post up.

But if you are going to go there the original is usually better...when it comes to it the Truth is usually sour........and Everybody Knows--Concrete Blonde

So, just because it is writtn doesn't make it true yet we can not be surprised since the bar has been being altered for so long and often the changing of facts on the levels being taught has been intentional after all in the USA for a very long time.

Derry Brownfield and Barry Farber have been talking about these things for years......watch out!

Edited by HolyGrenadeFrenzy

I am only intending on being factual and encourage debate here

First mistake is posting it in General Chat. Go to D&D if you want real responses.

We need a dead horse smilie.

user posted image

I am only intending on being factual and encourage debate here

First mistake is posting it in General Chat. Go to D&D if you want real responses.

We need a dead horse smilie.

user posted image

I realised that by the second reply. It's obvious that almost no one in the General forums section can take anything seriously.

The fact is that US education system is quite messed up. But don't worry. Most of the Western Europe's is as well. I don't know about Canada, but most of the West doesn't have good education. But hell if they're all rich.. then I guess nobody needs it..?

Yeah, education sucks in America.  Nothing is new.  But I also think it's given people the chance to educate themselves.  Which isn't a great thing.  But a good step toward a better society.

I was born in Australia, but I am also a USAn Citizen. I'm not saying that Australia is much better, but I'm focusing on the USA.

I don't appreciate all of this and request that a mod move this to the debate forum.

To be fair, Australian public schools are pretty sh*thouse aswell.

Also, is it just me or does History in American schools just consist of learning the names of past president and the deceleration of independence?

Edited by OnePiece

WbZaxRP.png

My teacher was talking about this before. He said that over in Europe, when you're in 8th grade, you have to take a test and based on the results they decide whether you should take the academically advanced classes or not.

The problem is, you only need to take standorized tests if your in those advanced classes, unlike in America, where everyone has to take it. So obviously the results are going to be skewed in your favor.

If someone can confirm this then that'd be nice.

user posted image

My teacher was talking about this before. He said that over in Europe, when you're in 8th grade, you have to take a test and based on the results they decide whether you should take the academically advanced classes or not.

The problem is, you only need to take standorized tests if your in those advanced classes, unlike in America, where everyone has to take it. So obviously the results are going to be skewed in your favor.

If someone can confirm this then that'd be nice.

You are right. Most of europe only tests their students of higher capability, the rest are sent to work the pubs.

pAafese.gifpAafese.gifpAafese.gifpAafese.gifpAafese.gif

but most of the West doesn't have good education.

Compared to what?

Compared to the smashing education system of China!

Here, have a copy of this little red book I have.

In fact, as far as I know, Finland have some of the best education (at least according to tests, etc.). But in general the education in Europe is generally the top of the line. Not saying it's perfect or that it doesn't have its flaws. It sure has flaws. But even then, it seems to compare a lot better to most other education systems around the world.

Of course, I am not mentioning all of Europe, cause let's face it, there are some crappy education systems around here as well.

You're right. It is a pathetic attempt. Please try harder next time.

edit: made less offensive to prevent suspensionz, lol

Edited by TheDude5000
user posted image

HolyGrenadeFrenzy

The USA is long overdue for an overhaul in its Education System but that assumes they are not intentionally dumbing down the majority of the populace. angry.gif

If you're going to post about how the Standards of American Education has gone down hill then you need to post a video as an example like so

But I have to agree with Carlos Mencia (no bashing of him here please, I'm bored with the arguments), but it's because the standards have been lowered nearly every year, not by much but enough for it to eventually become noticable like it is now. I find it even more ridiculas that today we know more about the world and everything that we've done technologically in past several decades that really we should all be getting smarter and smarter, but it doesn't seem to be that way, but its because we're lowering the standards, this is the same in most countries like the UK for example. I remember reading recently that 10-15 years ago (about when I would've done my exams) you needed 85% to get an A grade, now that percentage is about 55%

wZVJHXg.png

In fact, as far as I know, Finland have some of the best education (at least according to tests, etc.).

Indeed.

The Finnish education system is an egalitarian Nordic system, with no tuition fees for full-time students. Attendance is compulsory for 9 years starting at age 7, and free meals are served to pupils at primary and secondary levels. The first nine years of education (primary and secondary school) are compulsory, and the pupils go to their local school. In the OECD's international assessment of student performance, PISA, Finland has consistently been among the highest scorers worldwide; in 2003 Finnish 15-year-olds came first in reading literacy, mathematics, and science, while placing second in problem solving, worldwide. In tertiary education, the World Economic Forum ranks Finland #1 in the world in the enrollment and quality and #2 in math and science education.

*and since 2003 we've still consistently been at the top of PISA's rankings. In 2006 we placed second in mathematics and reading and first in science. That's their most recent survey.

Besides jerking off to PISA's tests, I can personally tell you that we do indeed have pretty satisfactory education. I have nothing to complain about. I've heard stories from people about education in the US from exchange students and it's all been negative.

And the statement that "most of the West doesn't have a good education" was pretty silly. tounge.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.