Would you accept a GTA set in a farwaway time?

werenotfugazi

werenotfugazi

Being that virtually anything is now possible with computer graphics, I think it stands to reason that executed very carefully, a GTA game set in the distant future >>>, or even the distant past <<< could be pulled off with success.

So, my question is, would you accept, or even go so far as to say that you could get excited about a Blade-Runner-esque GTA set in say, the year 2072, or in the past, say the 30's, 40's, or 50's? If yes, what would you like to see, or what would you expect from each time period?

Edited by werenotfugazi

PorkchopSoldier

I wouldn't mind it. As long as the gameplay is great (obviously), I don't care what year the game is set..

I can see breaking into 'flying' cars (for example), being really entertaining.

Edited by PorkchopSoldier

that idea really got me thinking about it. I'm a big future genre buff and having GTA in a Fifth Element kind of city would be awsome

If it was set in the past i wouldn't really mind but then it would become too similar to Mafia.

I think the future is not a good place to a GTA game.

I think that having a 'past' GTA game is a bad idea. I consider doing a past game when you are going for a more realistic (while still being a fun computer game - no realistic discussions to follow please - I have heard them all) old + realistic = boring. I struggled with mafia 'cause the cars were slow and optinos limited. There are no bikes, no heli's and no planes (still hoping to see planes in future GTA games)etc.

Overall the future idea is great but woulod not want to see over the top ideas. I am thinking back to the future 2 with hoverboards, flying cars etc... that could be fun. I think that if R* did this, they would not go for the fantasy land future more the gritty and dirtier future with organised and other crime at all new heights.

good topic!!!

Keep it in a 30 year or so span. I dont really wanna go back past the 80's at this point, and I'm pretty sure GTA won't because LA Noire is set in the 40's. I like present day the most though.

Yea I wouldn't mind a GTA Game in the Past or Future because it would see R* intepretation of it. I myself wouldn't mine seeing a GTA in the early 70's or 2030's(just let it not be really corny)

Good question. I wouldn't really like either, but I would prefer the past.

Seconded. If they did it in the 30-50's or in the future, i probably won't be as excited.

user posted image

if it was like in 2020, it might be nice, like they can say funny stuff about celebrities britney spears had her 15th child today or christina gag a lera stopped gaggin on D1cks

tommy vs. claude

didnt they already do a GTA in the far future?

GTA 2 was in 2013, that's it though.

OP: I think anything past 1960 is out of the question, and since GTA has almost been integrated with pop culture the future would be a bad decision.

Edited by tommy vs. claude

I wouldnt mind seeing a GTA set in the 70's, that would be pretty cool but nothing farther than say 1960's. A GTA in the future would be alright as long as they didnt go to like 3072 or something

Reincarnated Kenji

For me, the earliest time period Rockstar could go would be 1970 ( hopefully in Liberty) but I'm all for a futuristic GTa game. biggrin.gif

I don't want it to be a sci fi gamem theres enough of those as it is, and there is already games that take place in earlier tiimes (mafia 2) and i like the today cars

MickSwagger69

.....if its set in tha past like 30s, 40s, or 50s,...it'll prolly be criticized for tryin to embarass games like MAFIA...

u kno how sensitive GTA-Haters ghett...any little thing and they swear GTA is Blasphemy....

No. GTA is a present day game, and future or past gives me icky feelings.

On April 29th,

GTA IV will come,

and so will I.

PSN: Simseth

Grand Theft Grandpa
would you accept, or even go so far as to say that you could get excited about a Blade-Runner-esque GTA set in say, the year 2072

I`m content to linger around the GTA4 portion of this site, just reading and picking up new info now & then. I`ve never had strong feelings about where GTA should be set, what race the main character is, or whatever. However, when GTA is set matters ALOT to me.

My short answer to the question of a future-set GTA is no. My long answer is f*ck No. There are plenty of other games out there which have the future well covered. Let`s not have GTA looking like Halo barf8bd.gifsuicidal.gificon13.gif .

As for the past, absolutely. If and when R* uses England as a setting, it would be great if it was set in the mid 60`s to early 70`s. And no, I`m not thinking about James Bond whatsoever.

I`d take a 70`s or 80`s USA setting any time R* wants to make it. Anything older than perhaps 1960 would not be to my liking, although it would be preferable to any future setting.

I think like 2015 would be cool. Not far enough into the future to have flying cars and lasers, but far enough to have new prototype cars and prototype weapons.

matthrkac1969

a GTA set in the near future or the past would be interesting

although someone else has sortof taken the "past" consept with assassin's creed

but a GTA set in the future, not too far but still set in the future would be cool.

to everyone on this site i'd just like to say that i'm sorry for everything that i did and it will never happen again

Nope. The very past seems way too sh*t, and featureless, while the future seems bullsh*t with everygame that tries to do it.

The 80's is probobly the most they could go back, or 2009 or 2010 for the future.

I wouldnt like it set in the future (unless it's a very close future, say, 2012). And I wouldnt like it set in the very past (Assassin's creed is so f*cking boring). I'd say, as long as there are cars and submachine guns it's ok with me, so from the 20s on would be ok.

I wouldnt mind a 2015-2020 GTA setting in say Los Angeles. Global Warming, Gang Warfare, Futuristic Weapons, WWIII, Terrorism, Computers all that sh*t. Would be interesting if the main character you played was like CJ's son or somethin. Or, u played as CJ, who was out in a coma after being brually attacked in 1995 only to come out of it, 10-15 years later.

I wouldn't mind if it was set in the past but not too far into the past maybe 50's or 60's but i wouldn't like it to go much further and with a game set in the future i wouldn't want it to go more than say about 15 years into the future I'm not a big sci-fi fan so if it was set in something like 2100 with flying cars and laser guns and other stuff like that i probably wouldn't buy it.

Ah, the 1970s...that would be GREAT. DriverPL came close but you know, while they might get the cars and driving down right, they couldn't get much else. Imagine all the 60s and 70s era muscle cars that you'd have access to- and maybe the customization can go deeper on those vehicles (bore and stroke up anyone?).

In the future? Ah, its comin whether we like it or not, I'd rather just wait til it actually gets here.

Although, I have always liked George Lucas' vision of a 'used environment/universe' - things weren't all shiny and spacy like in some other movies or shows you see, certain areas and items truly did look what I would've called 'spaceworn'. Could you see a GTA character wreckin shop in Mos Eisley? Maybe, but will blasters be the order of the day?

Light-based weapons suck...there's no real audible or visual kick (in-game).