4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

AK-73

[REL | BETA] PS2 .MDL Importer

AK-73

PS2 .MDL Importer

This tool basically allows at this point the import of the PS2 (and PS2 only)

LCS and VCS .MDL files into GMax (and 3D Studio Max 4+). Both LCS and VCS

skinned actors are supported (except for cutscene actors), though VCS actor import may

benefit from a bit of refinement.

There is an issue with face orientation that I currently don't know how to

solve yet. As a consequence, as this point you'll have to correct that by

hand for now.

IMPORTANT!

This importer is deliberately open source. Anybody can do about anything with

it without asking me for explicit permission. Indeed if you have any bug fixes

or enhanced features, please send them to me and I'll include them in the

official version. Just in case anyone wants to publish a spin-off version,

deviating from the official .MDL importer, please make sure you ask for

permission first - I just wouldn't want many different versions of the script

floating around, causing unnecessary confusion.

Other than that you may consider this an open source project to which anyone

may contribute, if they want to.

ALSO IMPORTANT!

I do not encourage anyone distributing LCS/VCS models converted with this

script on the the internet freely and on a massive scale. Anyone who does

so is doing it *at their own risk*. Talking about risk, I do not accept

responsibility for anything that may result from installation/usage of this

script. Use at your own risk.

While gtagarage is undergoing an overhaul the lastest version of the script can be downloaded here:

http://lcs.cat3illa.com/MDL_importer_latest.zip.

Please do not ask me for a PSP version of the script. I don't have a PSP, never will, and I am not interested. However, if anyone wants to add PSP support on top of it, you're welcome to do so. Just make sure nobody is else is working on that already.

Seems to be about all for now... if you got any questions about the tool, this is the place to ask. smile.gif

Alex

Edited by AK-73

_CP_

WOW! It's a very good program! I download this.

H13N.H3N

Seems to be about all for now... if you got any questions about the tool, this is the place to ask. smile.gif

Alex

ye well... will sound like a stupid question, but.. i can't find any .MDL file in GTA LCS, and... neither one inside VCS, i'm missing some other extractor?

Shadow-Link

use imgtool made by dustcrazy.. look into the misc ps2 lcs file format thingy thread..

EDIT:

http://dustin.gzwn.net/YAIE.rar You can open img files with it. The other img files are encrypted and not cracked yet..

Edited by Prince-Link

H13N.H3N
use imgtool made by dustcrazy.. look into the misc ps2 lcs file format thingy thread..

EDIT:

http://dustin.gzwn.net/YAIE.rar You can open img files with it. The other img files are encrypted and not cracked yet..

thnks pal, as G-IMG from ReSpawn didn't work i guess i needed a "special" img extractor after all, this will be of use for a while, thnks again.

gamerzworld

EDIT:

thnks pal, as G-IMG from ReSpawn didn't work i guess i needed a "special" img extractor after all, this will be of use for a while, thnks again.

The stories games use a new version of the IMG format, most likely because of the new engine. Also, the new archives don't use .dir (directory) files. Dustin's program can open the new IMG files and it creates a .dir file for the IMG files.

johnny404

EDIT:

The stories games use a new version of the IMG format, most likely because of the new engine. Also, the new archives don't use .dir (directory) files. Dustin's program can open the new IMG files and it creates a .dir file for the IMG files.

Even compressed ones?

gamerzworld

EDIT:

Even compressed ones?

Compressed "IMG" files (.LVZ) are a another story. There is an uncompresser that was made by Aru but the end file is just one big CHK file.

http://gzwn.net/Documents/lcs-vcs-unimg-bin.zip

H13N.H3N

worked very fine, i can't ask for more, i'm very pleased, i extracted ALL cars from VCS and LCS now the forelly car and the sprit, the new borgnine plus some other cool cars can be on my game (i'm not planning to distribute them as a mod right now, cause i'm a little tired of conversions) freaking cool i must say, other thing, apparently G-IMG does it work, don't really know if after use YAIE created a DIR file, but it worked, fool of me that i didn't extracted the IMG file from the disc at first =p. thanks for this tool pal, i'm in doubt with you

catzilla

Doesn't work on peds for some reason..

3dsmax freezes

simkas

3dsmax freezes

Works for me. Which version are you using?

johnny404

3dsmax freezes

I just get a weird cube in the 3dsmax, I'm using 7.0 and, What config do I need to get the models right? (Anti-strips and all that crap in MDL importer)

simkas

3dsmax freezes

I just get a weird cube in the 3dsmax, I'm using 7.0 and, What config do I need to get the models right? (Anti-strips and all that crap in MDL importer)

Might be the max version you're using. I'm using 8 and it works.

catzilla

Max: 9

Script: the latest version from he 1st post

Edited by catzilla

AK-73

In theory it should work for all versions. I haven't tested the importer for all files, of course. Also, there's always some chance of an updated version introducing a bug into the import of .mdls that used to work.

Anyways... if you got some .MDL that doesn't import properly, send me and I'll fix it.

Alex

Mythbuster

Well, I spend 3 days finding out why the import thing wasn't working, then I read again and saw it was for ps2 only, lol. Now I've got the ps2 files, but the only model I can import so far is model411.mdl.(which is a petrolpump, and I just wanna have some cars xD) With the other files it just says "Clump/Atomics not recognized... exiting." in the bottom left.

I am using 3DsMax 7.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? (I just tried some models, and the only one so far is model411.mdl, so I am not sure how many and which others will actually work.)

Mythbuster

EDIT: And yeah, I did read a few topics about all this, but not everything, so I could've missed something about this, just so you know before you start flaming me, lol...

EDIT2: I just found out the VCS files import just fine..., just the LCS models don't notify.gif Anyway, because the VCS files work, I started converting the Polaris V8(model is model178.mdl by the way)....

Edited by Mythbuster

[MenaceMovies]

Nice useful tool dude, good work! I hope this will boost the popularity of PS2 GTA modding.

//MenaceMovies

AK-73

hmm... lcs import has been working for me. Perhaps you are having a problem with actor models only? mdls 1-93 (circa)?

I'll have to look into it.

Alex

simkas

I'm not fully sure if this is a problem with the script, but when I imported a ped from VCS, then tried to export it as a dff, I got this error:

user posted image

Is there a way to get rid of that or do I have to re-rig the model?

GTAfanattic

I know that problem - I had it myself not so long ago. It means that there is either a gap somewhere in your physical model, or there is an area on your model which is not rigged to any bone. I'd check your rigging first.

simkas

I know that problem - I had it myself not so long ago. It means that there is either a gap somewhere in your physical model, or there is an area on your model which is not rigged to any bone. I'd check your rigging first.

But doesn't it give the "all vertices need to be rigged to a bone" error when some part isn't rigged? And what do you mean by "a gap somewhere in your physical model"?

AK-73

I don't use kam's exporter but my own so I can't tell for sure but usually the problem is linked to the object hierarchy. Press h in gmax/3dsm to open the selection window and tick the Display subtree button on. There you can see your current object hierarchy. Check if all bones are in the correct hierarchy. I think usually the problem lies with the root bone and whether it is linked to the mesh object or not. I forget which is correct: if it root does have the mesh as parent select it and hit unlink. If it doesn't, you will need to link it to ther parent. I know in my own exporter it has to be linked, so for KAM's you probably have to simply unlink it.

Just a guess though.

Alex

Pie94

I really want to use this but one problem. How do i open the GTA2 PS2 IMG?

I have IMG Editor 2.0, but it sais that he can't locate the DIR, and when it opens it theres nothing in it. And TXD workshop just wont open it. confused.gif

Please help me!

H13N.H3N
I really want to use this but one problem. How do i open the GTA2 PS2 IMG?

I have IMG Editor 2.0, but it sais that he can't locate the DIR, and when it opens it theres nothing in it. And TXD workshop just wont open it. confused.gif

Please help me!

@Pie94:

hee.. pal, why you didn't bothered to read some older quotes here? i made the same question and i get an answer

@Simkas:

I made a ped of test of one VCS character (not sure which, they are not named at all) and it did worked, i have Kams Tools and MDL importer, not conflicts or anything of that kind... what i can tell you is that for some reason, Kams tools conflicts with Material Packages for 3D Studio Max (i'm working with version 8) so, i know no other issue than that (at least, not one that can not be solved)

Black Ghost

hey nice work but can you make the .dff [ in vc and sa in ps2 ] into GMax ?

and can you make the .dff from pc to ps2 [some people have ps2 chips so they can play copy and moded games like me tounge.gif ]

it will be great if you do it

Edited by Black Ghost

AK-73

@Pie94: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=285544

should help answer your questions... smile.gif

@H13N.H3N: I would guess it is related to Kam making use of his own custom material, GTAMaterial.

@Black Ghost: I am a GMax user myself, so yes you can use GMax. Unfortunately I am exclusively a vc on pc modder, so I will very likely not do that myself.

Alex

Black Ghost

Hey Alex you made it in c++?

if yes can you PM me the source for this tool and dffxbox2pc ? maybe can change it to ps2 converter or something or even just learn from it.

Edited by Black Ghost

AK-73

Hey Alex you made it in c++?

if yes can you PM me the source for this tool and dffxbox2pc ? maybe can change it to ps2 converter or something or even just learn from it.

Yes, dffxbox2pc is in c++ and yes I can. Remind me of it if you don't have it by next week. smile.gif

As for this script, it is of course in maxscript. If you can do c++, you should have no problem learning maxscript.

Alex

HackMan128

Some pland for future? I love it. Keep up work about models editing smile.gif