Triggerhappy

TubbyJ

This a script that me and a few buddies of mine (very bored at the time) wrote in Mass Media class. It's basically a spoof of all those buddy cop, badass shoot 'em ups ranging from the 80's, 90's, and present day. It follows Officers Smith and Wesson on their manhunt for the notorious Johnny Triggerhappy, former mob hitman, on his crazy, blood frenzied shooting spree across the U.S. This'll probably never get finished (probably won't even get past this scene), but whatever, f*ck it, I thought you guys might enjoy it. This is a the opening scene, introducing Johnny Triggerhappy.

Triggerhappy

by Joshua Gary

SCENE: INT. OFFICE BUILDING-DAY

Cubicles checker the office. The building has a very droll, uniform look about it. Employees walk to and fro, trudging through their monotonous tasks.

EXTREME C.U.- MECHANICAL PENCIL in EMPLOYEE's hand

The employee violently shakes and clicks the pencil with a look of disdain and irritation on his face. Apparently the pencil has run out of lead. He begins to search around his desk, opening drawers and lifting various objects looking for more lead.

EMPLOYEE:

Sonnoffabitch.

A MAN in a black suit obstructs the camera's view, blocking our view of the employee. We do not see his face.

EMPLOYEE (without looking up):

Hey, Johnson, you have any extra lead I could borrow?

MAN (casually):

Yeah, sure.

EMPLOYEE'S P.O.V.

The man raises a DESERT EAGLE up to the employee's face, the employee then opens his mouth as if to speak, but is then shot in the face. Blood splatters onto the side of a cubicle and onto a few BYSTANDERS conversing nearby. Surprised, they scream and run, causing the entire office to panic.

MAN:

Glad to help.

Opening credits roll as we catch glimpses of the massacre the man creates. He pulls out another Desert Eagle, hitting every target exactly where he means to. This is in slow motion. Instead of the audio track, 'Bang Bang' by Nancy Sinatra plays.

INSERT TITLE CARD: TRIGGERHAPPY

All rights reserved, blah, blah, blah...

Edited by TubbyJ

Funny thing about this, I really only wrote this because I had to have a)the tagline ('Got lead?') and b)the whole "You got any lead?" line, then having Triggerhappy shooting him. It's classic B-action movie cheese.

Instead of the audio track, 'Bang Bang" by Nancy Sinatra plays.

Ha ha. Not a bad start really, I quite enjoyed it even though I'm not too keen on scripts.

You're not used to writing screenplays, I can tell. Would this be your first? I'm not being a smartass, I really am curious. First of all, the writer of a screenplay tells us what is happening in the scene, when it is happening, and where; not how. The director controls camera angles and shots, hence his importance. Unless it is required in the film, the music coordinator and editor controls the placing of music and what the music is. The cheesy line degrades from the entire thing, even though you planned it? Massacre in an office, exciting and boring at the same time. Anyone with a lesser imagination than I would be bored (I have filled in parts to make it more exhilerating).

It's my first script, and me and a few friends were just a little bored and decided to pen it. For the most part I agree with you, except on how the screenwriter dictates where camera angles take place and what music is played. As long as your not storyboarding the entire thing, it's alright to give a few cues on such things.

My not revealing the Man's face could be pivotal to how the plot plays out, because if I gave no direction on that bit, it wouldn't make much sense to the producer or the director if I just had Johnny Triggerhappy, oh I don't know, undercover tagging along with the cop protagonists let's say, because everyone would know that's him in the film, thus no surprise when he reveals himself in the climax.

As for the music, I've seen it done in scripts before, like in Reservoir Dogs with the Mr. Blonde Torture scene, Tarantino writes in the script that is what's playing. Not only that, but my use of 'Bang Bang' adds a bit (and I wanna stress that part, lol) of comedy to the scene, by adding a little parodic humor that relates back to other action movies.

My point is, if it's pertinent to the plot and/or to the emotion of the film, a writer has a right to pen it. That said, in the end it's always the director's decision, he can do anything to changing a character's name to removing said character completely. Nothing in the script is set in stone for filming, it's always subject to change.

Edited by TubbyJ

Like [i thought] I said, write it when required, but the whole scene is littered with camera direction and things that are meant for other jobs. Write in when required, but use sparingly.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.