Red Light District

distant sounds

distant sounds

In GTA3, the small red light district where your first safehouse was feels like my spiritual home in the GTA series. Vice City was actually my first experience of a GTA game because I spent many years in the wilderness when it came to games, not playing any for years due to other things. I adored Vice City like crazy and eventually played GTA3 several months later. The Red Light District near your safehouse felt like home to me in that game, and my spiritual home in all the GTA's I've played now. In real life I don't go near red light areas at all, I avoid them like the plague, but when I went back to that area in GTA3 each time it felt like I was coming home.

Seeing as GTA4 is set in Liberty City again, I was wondering where a red light district would be located in this new version. Also, was the original one from GTA3 based on a real life one in NYC at all? I was just wondering all this because I would love a district like that to be in the game so I can take a spiritual journey back home of sorts to that area.

Also, does anyone else have a similar spiritual home located in a specific area in one of the GTA's?

I see what you mean. The area in Portland where the Leone Mafia was located felt like home to me. I would always hang around there... until of course you had to kill the Don and then whenever you went there you'd get all shot up... that made me sad. cryani.gif I was unable to go home. sad.gif

from what i can remember (haven't played the game in ages) i think it is near the bridge near staunton island- if you can find out what bridge that was and what island staunton plays the real island of then you can probably find out where the red light district may be, if is, in GTAIV.......i'll try looking for that info though...

I agree there's something about the red light district that feels right. It's such a dirty, nasty place but somehow it feels like a safe area to hide out for a while. I don't know if there will be a red light district in GTAIV, but the area where Niko starts out has a similar look and feel. As if it's the best place to go back to later in the game after you've been in a long police chase.

For me, Hashberry has that feeling in SA. And same with the mansion in VC.

distant sounds

Yeah, it was sad when you had to hit the Don. I wished I could have remained in the mafia during the whole game of GTA3 as I love the atmosphere created by their gang. I had just finished playing the brilliant "Mafia" a few weeks before starting GTA3 so I was still living within the brilliant haze that game created. No other sandbox game has been better than "Mafia" for me, even the GTA's.

I just know I will be hunting down the red light district in GTA4. I wonder if I'll act like Homer when he stumbles upon a donut as soon as I see the sleazy run down grimy streetscapes of the district. Like someone else said, the way the area is rundown and shadowy makes it feel like a safe blanket to crawl under to hide from all the nasties out there that are after your ass. In real life I would avoid these areas like the plague but in a game like GTA they feel like a place of safety and comfort.

I thought I was the only one...

The Red Light District from Grand Theft Auto III is Grand Theft Auto defined. It does feel like home. You are right. I hope it is in GTA IV.

Word to the original post... word I tells ya!

I'm sure there are redlight districts (RLD) for each of NY's various boroughs, but I'm thinking IV will only have one RLD in its map (possibly 2 depending on the actual size of the map). I'm actually thinking Star Junction or around that area because I've heard Times Square is mad dodgy after dark... am I correct NY'ers?

GTA3Freak-2001

Ha I thought I was the only one too, I don't know what it is about the Red Light District that I liked but its always the first thing I think of when it comes to the GTA3 experience. Does anyone else think of the Red Light District when they hear Roxanne by The Police? Obviously its because the song is about a prostitute called Roxanne so you get the point. tounge.gif

The Red Light District is a neighborhood of Portland in Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. As of 2001, the Leone Mafia Family has strong control over this region. There are many strip clubs, adult stores, pimps, and prostitutes. Luigi's Sex Club 7 is the perfect place for trance music, according to LIPS 106. The district is busy during all 24 hours of the day, although the player sees the pimps and hookers more at night. Pimps in this neighborhood can be easily spotted by their purple jackets and hats. Shooting them has no effect on whether the prostitutes are emancipated from Luigi Goterelli's control or not. Prostitutes can be used to increase health in exchange for cash, or can be shot down if the player desired to play vigilante against the prostitution industry.

Tsuroslammed.™

The Red Light District is a neighborhood of Portland in Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. As of 2001, the Leone Mafia Family has strong control over this region. There are many strip clubs, adult stores, pimps, and prostitutes. Luigi's Sex Club 7 is the perfect place for trance music, according to LIPS 106. The district is busy during all 24 hours of the day, although the player sees the pimps and hookers more at night. Pimps in this neighborhood can be easily spotted by their purple jackets and hats. Shooting them has no effect on whether the prostitutes are emancipated from Luigi Goterelli's control or not. Prostitutes can be used to increase health in exchange for cash, or can be shot down if the player desired to play vigilante against the prostitution industry.

...You just copied that from Wikipedia or something...

I think in IV my place to be will be romans cab office biggrin.gif

nah man better yet a cool place would be the island that the statue of happiness is on just imagine a cold night in liberty city and ur all by ur self with lady happiness watching the liberty city skyline like u would in real life if the world trade center was still in my city

lol cool thing is im a Queens boy so im gonna be in Dukes alot hangin around the Unisphere

Yes ! I didn't know what is REd light strict so I thought there might be people like me who also don't know what is that. And I googled it and post it here for other noobs like me.

Tsuroslammed.™

Yes ! I didn't know what is REd light strict so I thought there might be people like me who also don't know what is that. And I googled it and post it here for other noobs like me.

Coming from Compton I thought you'd know all about what a Red Light District is. I never thought of South Central LA or other similarly notorious areas necessarily being like/or having a Red Light District, I just figured them to be more dangerous/ghetto though.

However, Red Light Districts ARE generally lower-income areas of cities. For some reason I get a feeling that many Red Light Districts are around docks/ports... maybe because many of them are... I don't know.

I agree there's something about the red light district that feels right. It's such a dirty, nasty place but somehow it feels like a safe area to hide out for a while.

Yeah, because it's one of the only places in Portland where you're not chased by gangs once you move onto Staunton. sneaky2.gif

distant sounds
Word to the original post... word I tells ya!

I'm sure there are redlight districts (RLD) for each of NY's various boroughs, but I'm thinking IV will only have one RLD in its map (possibly 2 depending on the actual size of the map). I'm actually thinking Star Junction or around that area because I've heard Times Square is mad dodgy after dark... am I correct NY'ers?

I was thinking something like that myself, that there could be one nearby Star Junction in the game. But then again I was thinking it may be in Broker or Dukes due to the RLD in GTA3 being in Portland. But if the RLD in Portland was just purely made up for the game, there could be one anywhere. Apparantly, Times Square used to be NYC's RLD back in the day but not anymore so if there is one it probably won't be on Algonquin. My guess would be in outlying areas, mabye Broker or Dukes somewheres. I need my fill of seedyness for that real Liberty City atmosphere.