Is it going to be a sandbox game ?

krs.one

After GTA San Andreas everyone had insane expectations. I read articles in game magazines where they wondered if it would be possible to travel to hundreds of cities all over the world...maybe even travel to outer space.

Others thought maybe you can enter all the buildings, create your own missions etc. Some people expected that you would be able to buy more shops again (like in Vice City) and manage them etc.

Now after all we have heard so far my expectations are considerably lower... The map is going to be smaller than the GTA SA map...they are taking the country side away. That sucks...I really loved the country side. It gave the game a real atmosphere and made it feel more real.

They also have removed some other features such as eating, training in the gym etc. I really loved that because it helped to identify with the character.

So I kinda get the expression that Rockstar are taking the freedom aspect out of the game and are making it more of an action game that concentrates on missions and leaves the strategy and freedom concept away...

So what do you think...is it really going to be what everyone expected: A free world and sandbox like gameplay where you can play forever ? Or are we just going to see an action game that is made to entertain the masses for 5 days...then catch dust ?

What are you talking about? Eating is still in...

This game is gonna rock what is with all the negativly latly? The countryside was cool but it got old really quick...

After GTA San Andreas everyone had insane expectations. I read articles in game magazines where they wondered if it would be possible to travel to hundreds of cities all over the world...maybe even travel to outer space.

Others thought maybe you can enter all the buildings, create your own missions etc. Some people expected that you would be able to buy more shops again (like in Vice City) and manage them etc.

Now after all we have heard so far my expectations are considerably lower... The map is going to be smaller than the GTA SA map...they are taking the country side away. That sucks...I really loved the country side. It gave the game a real atmosphere and made it feel more real.

They also have removed some other features such as eating, training in the gym etc. I really loved that because it helped to identify with the character.

So I kinda get the expression that Rockstar are taking the freedom aspect out of the game and are making it more of an action game that concentrates on missions and leaves the strategy and freedom concept away...

So what do you think...is it really going to be what everyone expected: A free world and sandbox like gameplay where you can play forever ? Or are we just going to see an action game that is made to entertain the masses for 5 days...then catch dust ?

read some previews and you should find what you're looking for in terms of it being sandbox, amount of freedom, having a real atmosphere, etc.

I understand what your saying man but R* are going for quality over quantity for their next gen GTA. It will still be a sandbox game otherwise it wouldn't be GTA but they MAY be taking away some of the less useful activities you can do and using that space to make the brilliant things even better, and make some new ones that no one is expecting. But to be honest none of us will know until April the 29th as R* are being very 'hush hush' about most of the game to give it the massive effect that we all became acustomed to before San An, I ain't saying San An was crap or anything but we knew most of the features before we got hold of the game ourselfs.

So I wouldn't be surprised if we can do all the stuff we think has been removed with a bunch of new cool things to mess around with as well. I guess we'll just have to wait for the release ---> sigh.gif patiently waits for April the 29th!

Have you JUST found out about this game today? And even if you have, how can you POSSIBLY think that it will be anything less than a sandbox game? What makes you think there will be no freedom? Just because there wont be a mountain or some EMPTY desert? The map size is smaller but there will be MUCH more in it! Why don't you try reading some information on the game before you come in here posting crap like that!

BTW what you said about the countryside making the game feel more real, the game is set in an alternate NEW York. Myabe you've never been to New York or never even heard of it. But there is NO COUNTRYSIDE in Manhattan! Or Queens, or Brooklyn.

Their aim is to get a living breathing world, that would make sandbox awesome.

And don't forgot EUPHORIA!!!

And your talking about Realism, that's not what GTA is about?

Edited by Goldey

california6066

This game is gonna rock what is with all the negativly latly? The countryside was cool but it got old really quick...

i agree with you everyone is being negative with this game over the last couple of days.... sly.gif

user posted image

There is still going to be a KIND of country side. May not be on the scale of San Andreas but it is in. If you visit there Main Website You will see that on the 3D map shows a hilly type area. That is going to be the country side. This also spans out around the side of map near Broker.......... biggrin.gif

user posted image

There is still going to be a KIND of country side. May not be on the scale of San Andreas but it is in. If you visit there Main Website You will see that on the 3D map shows a hilly type area. That is going to be the country side. This also spans out around the side of map near Broker.......... biggrin.gif

Yeah I heard it was bit like marsh land and a very dangerous place to hang out at night or anythime of the day for that matter devil.gif God I can't wait for this game alien.gif

sh*t the day SA came out i got that ASAP and played it all night it was a school night all my expectations were fulfilled im sure GTA4 will be too thats all i have to say

Don't forget, we will only know of about 30% of the things we CAN do in GTAIV, and probably ALL of the things we can't. When not considering this, it may seem like we have sacrificed quite a bit for only a few new advantages. But in reality, we just don't know about all of the advantages yet. Trust in R*, and you'll be happy in the end, I promise. smile.gificon14.gif

Right on! My exact words came out from the topic starter's mouth. icon14.gif

I hope those people -like the above poster- are right though.

I thought it was an 'impression' that we all would 'get' - an expression is something that is stated.

Anyway, you're grasping at straws here...what're the chances of this latest installment of GTA NOT being a sandbox-style game like EVERY iteration that came before it? Granted, they are removing parts that they feel would not contribute to the realism and overall gameplay experience- but that's supposed to enhance the ambience, not take away from it.

If you're ever in NYC, I want you to count how many jetliners, fighter planes and Cessnas (for the one who mentioned that someone COULD fly through the city...sure, you COULD. You could also get slapped into irons with a fast-track to Ryker's Island as well) you see flying overhead. I'd truly be surprised if you had ANY to speak of...and I'm not talkin on the outskirts or over the water, I'm talkin bout inner city. You won't see it. It stands to reason it won't be in the game.

What else are they supposedly taking away? Countryside? Hick towns? You ever live in one? If you have, and are not from there, why on earth would you ever go back? I didn't find them to be at all entertaining; rather bland, the hicks were stereotypically slow and stupid and there never was anything to actually DO out there beside whatever mission that occurs there.

Cry if the game doesn't work; cry if the framerate drops to the point where its damn near or is unplayable; cry if your father tells you he's gay but for God's sake- not over the omission of parts that would have no appeal in a sprawling, teeming city like New York. Seriously, get a grip.

A Grand Theft Auto game has never truely disappointed me when it was new. I like the GTA3 setting and what not better than Vice City (i just felt VC was to citchy) , but VC improved in a lot of aspects like writing and features. San Andreas surpassed my expectations. I don't have any doubts on GTA4 being any different. So although in someways they may be taking step backs from SA, I'm sure there will be plenty of new stuff that will more than make up for it.

Grand Theft Columbo

I just hope the online is great and that there are numerous side missions, mini-games, and friend activities that don't get old.

So it's smaller bigger doesn't always mean better, it's the way you make it, GTA4 will be more detailed making you able to do more things than you could in SA, and there isn't a country side in anywhere near NY.

Yeah, farming ponies the the hallmark of Grand Theft Auto. I expect future GTAs of this generation to introduce stuff like countryside ala GTA: SA. Until then I suspect that LC will be packed -- it might be less spatially than SA, but I'm sure that it's much more dense. (If that makes sense.)

the map will be more detailed(such as buildings everywhere and not a dead space). the country side was a waste of space

Correction: It was a waste of space to anyone that didnt use it; ie You or anyone that shares this opinion.

I loved the country side. I probably spent more time off road out there than I did in the city.

the map will be more detailed(such as buildings everywhere and not a dead space). the country side was a waste of space

Correction: It was a waste of space to anyone that didnt use it; ie You or anyone that shares this opinion.

I loved the country side. I probably spent more time off road out there than I did in the city.

Same here, mate. icon14.gificon14.gif

This new IV will be wholly one jam packed city.hmm...i don't appreciate that;only one pure atmosphere and people and what not.No such diversity as we've in SA? confused.gif

Still,i'd hang around till the release time and see what the game will look like in the wake of unveiling its 70% -as yet unknown - mysterious aspect.

There is no country side in NYC (LC). But there is Central Park which is huge. SA had country side and desert because R* wanted to make that kinda setting.

And you can still eat in GTA4