Viper production cancelled?

GM Dude

One of the articles I found

This really pisses me off, since Cerberus, Chrysler's new parent company has already threatened to kill off other

great models, like the PT Cruiser, not to mention the Viper was one of my favorite sports cars of all time. suicidal.gifcryani.gif

And what I have to say is:What were these douchebags thinking???????

At least they had the dignity to keep the Viper around for another 3 years.

R.I.P. Dodge Viper 1992-2011

user posted image

I just hope Chrysler can do well without a halo car for the

time being, because if not, they're pretty well screwed........

lurchseesu420

Tis a shame. But it is a bit too expensive to make for a company that's basically on its deathbed. That's right. I say Chrysler's days are numbered. They're the next AMC. I'm surprised they've made it this long. But for some reason (probably because of the Viper), I've always pulled for them. But I think this is a sign that they have to concentrate on more profitable models just to stay afloat.

New account

When was that articled made? Doesn't have a date, at least none I can find.

When they just announced the making of the Demon (back on like January 15th or something) they officially said they were NOT killing the Viper. I choose not to believe that article until I get word from a more credible source. If they kill the Viper, they take part of the American Dream with them, as cheesy as it sounds.

edit: Seems like Jalopnik (who the f*ck are they anyways?) is the only source on the internet with this info right now. I call shenanigans on this. sneaky2.gif

Edited by Picolini

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Sounds interesting, Chrysler is f*cked with out so say good bye to Chrysler.

Ronnyboy waves bye to Chrysler

When they just announced the making of the Demon (back on like January 15th or something) they officially said they were NOT killing the Viper. I choose not to believe that article until I get word from a more credible source. If they kill the Viper, they take part of the American Dream with them, as cheesy as it sounds.

edit: Seems like Jalopnik (who the f*ck are they anyways?) is the only source on the internet with this info right now. I call shenanigans on this. sneaky2.gif

@Picolini: I sincerely, honestly hope you're right,

about them keeping the Viper, and us sports car lovers

who read the article got upset over nothing.

It was announced on 8th of February. I'm too lazy to look for it now... happens... at least the engineering of the V10 won't be stopped.

Signature soon.

There's plenty of teams that still race Vipers, just no official Dodge team, as far as I know.

It's even in drift events.

Besides, not all high performance sports cars HAVE to be raced (professionally, that is) to make them useful, I'm sure every owner of a Viper would tell you that.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

"has already threatened to kill off other

great models, like the PT Cruiser"

^^LOL!!!

Anyway, the Viper doesn't sell anymore, why would they continue production? You say you're a sports car fan but are you supporting Chrysler by actually buying a Viper? Look at the Viper as it is now: it barely comes with any options, the people who DO buy them typically have support problems and dealerships that know little how to help them. The Viper is a pure race car that has lost it's lust to better cars like the Z06 that are better supported and are equipped with anything a buy could want.

edit: Seems like Jalopnik (who the f*ck are they anyways?) is the only source on the internet with this info right now. I call shenanigans on this.  sneaky2.gif

Autoblog has it on their website too.

Look at their source, it's Japlonik. That's the ONLY source on the internet right now, so I still stand by my previous statement.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Well...the Viper is the icon car of Dodge and Chrysler Corporation. It may not sell alot, it may not be cheap, but everyone knows it and admires the car and knows the car as the dodge. It probably doesnt even make too much of a profit for the company...but they make it for the the purposes of looking good.

They are gonna keep it.

It was announced on 8th of February. I'm too lazy to look for it now... happens... at least the engineering of the V10 won't be stopped.

Yea Diggit showed it was made 3 days ago.

Man that sucks. I always wanted to get me a Viper. sad.gif

fbeRElG.png

Well...the Viper is the icon car of Dodge and Chrysler Corporation. It may not sell alot, it may not be cheap, but everyone knows it and admires the car and knows the car as the dodge. It probably doesnt even make too much of a profit for the company...but they make it for the the purposes of looking good.

They are gonna keep it.

Umm, from a business standpoint, it's stupid to keep producing it. Look at the RX-7, 300zx and Supra. Are they still in production? Hell, Nissan even axed the Skyline. Granted they're bringing a GT-R now, but still.

Engineering a very expensive niche product is unnecessary if the company is in a bad shape which is the case... it's quite logical.

Signature soon.

Yeah...but look at those companies compaired to Dodge/Chrysler: They have some good damn sport cars or at least a few decent ones. The only highlightes of dodge is their SRT series that was highlighted by their SRT-10 Viper. Yeah, you can tell me that their other SRT models are there, but they are damn trim levels. Dodge want to keep the Viper because it is their Halo car and there is no other like it in there line-up. This isn't Dodge dumping the 300C SRT-8 but still keeping the 300, this would be a total drop of a vehicle in their line up leaving a void to fill when it came to FR Coupe Icon. Chevy has the Corvette and Ford has the Mustang GT500...where would Dodge be without the Viper.

If I was their Marketing VP, heres what I would do. I would call a conference, get all the big wigs into one room, and pull out this poster:

user posted image

And Nissan didn't axe the Skyline, they made a sh*tty one based on the Infinity G35. We may not have the RX-7, Supra, and the 300ZX...but we do have the RX-8, 350Z, and Toyota has a FR sports car in the mix (obvious if you have seen any car show the last 2 years).

Edited by kevin2006rhs

f*ck...

Way to shoot my arguement down in a fireball of glory.

Fixed

Afterthought: I felt really stupid there. I spent 10 minutes thinking up the rant that was mockingly shot down. I need a f*ckin coffee. I have a bathroom to paint, curtains to sew, and my brothers and sisters have a snow day. I have to admit, today will probably be filled with more of these kind of f*ck ups.

Edited by kevin2006rhs

^ That's more like it. For a moment I thought it was the Mustang GT. lol.gif

This is totally off-topic, but the Indians have decided to roll in the US market with a sh*tty pickup truck:

user posted image

It will be sold starting in 2009, for 22,000 US dollars. A little pricey for an Indian car. cry.gif

OK, coming back to the topic. First Cerberus kills off the Viper and now they've decided to sell Jeep, yes Jeep, to the manufacturer of the crap-on-wheels I've pictured above, Mahindra.

source

f*ck you Cerberus, indeed.

Edited by stingray132

Now don't get ahead of yourself, Sting.

A report in the Economic Times says that "M&M is reportedly in talks with Chrysler for its iconic Jeep brand" although there's no confirmation that Chrysler is looking to offload the brand – yet.

Atleast they are trying to buy the company in an effort to bring the Jeep brand to their country rather than redesigning the company and destroying it. Either way, it sucks, because we will lose that amazing vehicle called the SRT-8 Cherokee.

sarcasm.gif

I know it hasn't been confirmed yet, but it's highly likely judging from the financial position of Chrysler. Chrysler has been ruined in the hands of Daimler - who've got the best out of them - and now Cerberus is supposedly "resurrecting" the brand, but in reality they're trying to refurbish the brand, making sure it is more stable and profitable so they could sell it off piece by piece.

If you were their marketing VP and you showed that poster to Dodge, they would've told you not to worry because they'd pull this out of their asses:

user posted image

No seriously, if you heard their execs, some of them are already comparing it to an M5 and a 911 Turbo.

Selling Jeep is like Ford selling Jag/LR. Nothing bad at this but not the best market strategy.

Signature soon.

Selling Jeep is like Ford selling Jag/LR. Nothing bad at this but not the best market strategy.

I hope they don't. Even if it is an ok marketing strategy. Jeep is an iconic American brand that deserves to stay American.

I know it hasn't been confirmed yet, but it's highly likely judging from the financial position of Chrysler. Chrysler has been ruined in the hands of Daimler - who've got the best out of them - and now Cerberus is supposedly "resurrecting" the brand, but in reality they're trying to refurbish the brand, making sure it is more stable and profitable so they could sell it off piece by piece.

If you were their marketing VP and you showed that poster to Dodge, they would've told you not to worry because they'd pull this out of their asses:

user posted image

No seriously, if you heard their execs, some of them are already comparing it to an M5 and a 911 Turbo.

Bullsh*t. Throwing the GT500 in there is a stretch. When porperly compairing the Viper, GT, and Corvette you compair them to something like the Ferrari F430. The Mustang GT, Camaro SS, and Challenger would all work well against each other, but nice try nonetheless.

If you were their marketing VP and you showed that poster to Dodge, they would've told you not to worry because they'd pull this  out of their asses:

user posted image

Bullsh*t. Throwing the GT500 in there is a stretch. When porperly compairing the Viper, GT, and Corvette you compair them to something like the Ferrari F430. The Mustang GT, Camaro SS, and Challenger would all work well against each other, but nice try nonetheless.

What?! You threw the GT500 in there, lol! rolleyes.gif

source

Yeah...I threw it in there and that was pushing the limit or "a stretch". I put it in there because it is what Ford has as its Icon or Halo car. It, by no means, is comparable to the Corvette Z06 or the Viper.

Other than saying that...I really didnt know what your post was trying to point out.

Well if all this Viper business is true (which I'll find out tomorrow when I speak to a Dodge rep. at the Auto Show), then the Challenger is their new market-mobile. They are only making several thousand of the SRT-8's, plenty of which (about half I think) are already spoken for. So they're not throwing them out there willy-nilly.

Still won't live up to a Viper, but it's not terrible.

But don't get me started on the Demon now... they might have been a nice addition to the line up, making up slightly for the loss of the Viper, but those of you that know how the Demon is going to turn out... barf8bd.gif

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

But don't get me started on the Demon now... they might have been a nice addition to the line up, making up slightly for the loss of the Viper, but those of you that know how the Demon is going to turn out... barf8bd.gif

Yeah, it's going to be front-wheel-drive. Gah! cry.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.