Framerate issues

SCLASS

Framerates for me are THE big factor regarding playability of a game, I cannot enjoy a game which stutters, just like I find hatchback cars offensive to drive - a smooooth flowing image is a prerequisite to me.

The gamepro 'worries' over stutters at time square, I can live with, really, all im bothered about is a 'solid' framerate, particularly at 5 stars wanted at night. I hated the way SA in 'dash' view would limit your speed because of the chugging gfx, SA was too much for the poor 299MHZ processor, remember, it was 5 yr old tech.

I really hope R* have not gone overboard with high res textures, high poly models etc, though to be fair, what has been shown in trailers so far has been impressive, particularly the ones on the updated official site

The jump out of the car before the gas station explosion ( in trailer 2 I believe ) was quite stuttery, I hope 'action' doesnt equal judder ....with the increased number of cars on the road I can see slowdown being quite an issue, would this be a deal breaker - no - as long as it was only 1/2 percent of the time, thats fine - but texture load problems are not acceptable, particularly as 720p tends to show up such problems more glaringly.

Edited by SCLASS

We all hope so. I hope Rockstar didn't go overboard with the size of Liberty City and forgot about little details.

I think they're up to the challenge. It probably explains why they delayed it for so long, to fix framerate and glitch issues.

nlite, I know, but realistically, we've all waited for over 3 and a half yrs since the last GTA release. And I dont have the money for a good modern PC.

The frame rates would be fine on both version. And Microsoft has rules that a game with below an average of 25 fps are not to be released or something like that on the xbox360.

nlite, I know, but realistically, we've all waited for over 3 and a half yrs since the last GTA release. And I dont have the money for a good modern PC.

What are you so worried about? I can't seem to figure out why some people are going on a rant about how the graphics might look horrible and there might be a ton of glitches when that isn't true at all.

^^^ no its not that the gfx are bad ( im very impressed ) its just that such a large , next gen city, along with advanced physics in a series that has always had framerate issues worries me slightly.

I'll still love the series period.

^^^ no its not that the gfx are bad ( im very impressed ) its just that such a large , next gen city, along with advanced physics in a series that has always had famerate issues worries me slightly.

I'll still love the series period.

Who cares if it has a few issues. I sure don't. I don't care if it has graphics like the PS2. I'm still buying the game and it will still rock regardless of a few glitches and sucky graphics.

Forcing game to run at 25 fps on PC version while frame limiter is enabled was a biggest gripe for me. Both GTA3 and Vice City ran at 30 frames per second and it felt ten times smoother. I think it was something to do with console framerates and stability, but on PC screens 25 frames felt kindla laggy. I hope GTA IV is better this time.

Im optimistic, its still relatively early in the 360/PS3 lifespan - so GTA4 is not a 'late gen' game such as SA.

I would like to think that Rockstar North have used all these extra months to work on improving the framerate and glitches as much as possible to make the game as flawless as they can. I still expect the occasion pop-in like the previous games though but not as bad.

Also in the recent Playstation 3 "hands-on" preview in PSM3 they said that the framerate is very smooth.

Also in the recent Playstation 3 "hands-on" preview in PSM3 they said that the framerate is very smooth.

*insert fanboyism here*

I couldn't resist. And with the rumor of people who pre-ordered the Xbox 360 version getting extra content, this is great news for PS3 owners.

Edit: Oh, that was actually meant to be a fanboy statement. Ah well. tounge.gif

Edited by Spartacus

*insert fanboyism here*

I couldn't resist.

That was not my intention at all. I hate fanboy statements as much as anyone else.

As I only have a Playstation 3 this is great news for us with the console indeed Rockstar knew that they would have to make it as close as possible on both platforms. So we all win so to speak.

I just wish April 29th would arrive already. Okay I can wait.

Edited by MysteryGamer

CharmingCharlie

I can't say I ever had a problem with the framerate in San Andreas, always ran it at up to 1680 x 1050 @ 80fps . Oh sorry you are talking about the console version of GTA SA, my mistake biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Both platforms are more than capable of perforaming to high standard, it is down to the programmers to work their magic. They did well with SA they have advanced tech, there will be no disappointment.

|the framerate thing |Can someone explain to me?

Why it is important

Thank you

I have played SA on xbox 360 and PC
It is smooth

Previously banned member

Charlie, ur a class A c*nt.....u mouth off on the PC GTA4 forum, like a embittered twisted divorcee..about consoles being for 'kids'...seriously guy this guy can piss right off - a bloody rude twat - go on read his posts..

And rage - why is it important ?, why dya think...PS2 SA was less smooth than Xbox...so thats why.

Yea i really hope the frame rate is nothing under 28fps... Have you ever played 'skate.' on ps3 online? As soon as all 4 people join the game it goes 50% slow motion because the crappy PS3 can't handle it! and thats coming from a ps3 fanboy confused.gif

Yea i really hope the frame rate is nothing under 28fps... Have you ever played 'skate.' on ps3 online? As soon as all 4 people join the game it goes 50% slow motion because the crappy PS3 can't handle it! and thats coming from a ps3 fanboy confused.gif

That's because of lag, not system performance.

CharmingCharlie

Charlie, ur a class A c*nt.....u mouth off on the PC GTA4 forum, like a embittered twisted divorcee..about consoles being for 'kids'...seriously guy this guy can piss right off - a bloody rude twat - go on read his posts..

Aw think I hit a nerve biggrin.gif Hey I am just stating the truth I have never had framerate problems with any of the GTA games, but then I have never played them on anything else but a PC. It isn't my fault you don't like the truth, but come on don't shoot the messenger biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

*insert fanboyism here*

I couldn't resist. And with the rumor of people who pre-ordered the Xbox 360 version getting extra content, this is great news for PS3 owners.

Edit: Oh, that was actually meant to be a fanboy statement. Ah well. tounge.gif

It should run equally perfect on PS3. Sony sent extra hands on pros to help Rockstar with development. An extra 6 months of polish goes a long way.

Charlie I KNOW the pc is a better , more capable gaming format, though in terms of comfort, conveniance, social nature of a game ( can you sit round with mates at a PC ?) consoles sh it on PCs. So no, u touched nothing, go twiddle ur thumbs while everyone els here plays...and 80fps...sure on SA, id doubt it in GTA4 unless u have an uber PC ( which most dont )

I can't say I ever had a problem with the framerate in San Andreas, always ran it at up to 1680 x 1050 @ 80fps . Oh sorry you are talking about the console version of GTA SA, my mistake biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Haha. Win.

PC owns Consoles by x100.

Useless, if this game was on PC it would of been 1000x better but crap consoles make the game crap.

Now thats an intelligent, weighted and thought out post, congratulations. ^^^

Of course. Consoles can never beat PC, and that's something everyone can figure out.

lol, i was kidding, consoles are not out to 'beat' PC's, they are more accessible and suited for certain genres. Racing games, action adventure games are waaaaaay better on my 42 inch HDTV than at a desk.

Whereas flight sims, Strategy and FPS games of course are suited to the PC. Now I am I disputing a 9000 series cards performance, no !., but neither do i want to shell out on a v good PC, when the genres of games I like on are on consoles.

So go figure..

Yea i really hope the frame rate is nothing under 28fps... Have you ever played 'skate.' on ps3 online? As soon as all 4 people join the game it goes 50% slow motion because the crappy PS3 can't handle it! and thats coming from a ps3 fanboy  confused.gif

That's because of lag, not system performance.

Maybe.. But when 2 or 3 cars crash and explode on a bolder in motorstorm you get less frames per second while the parts are flying arround, thats singleplayer. Call of duty 4 you get lag when theres 10+ people standing near each other.

Also, crysis wasn't made for ps3 because it couldn't handle it and thats quoted from an EA engineer!

lol, i was kidding, consoles are not out to 'beat' PC's, they are more accessible and suited for certain genres. Racing games, action adventure games are waaaaaay better on my 42 inch HDTV than at a desk.

Whereas flight sims, Strategy and FPS games of course are suited to the PC. Now I am I disputing a 9000 series cards performance, no !., but neither do i want to shell out on a v good PC, when the genres of games I like on are on consoles.

So go figure..

As though you can't use LCD TVs as monitors and play with a X360 controller, a PS controller adapter, a wheel control.

So go figure..

Psst.. the Wii is the only console that gets my respect. And I own a 360. I'm so silly sad.gif