MONEY!

ROCKSTARmentality

ROCKSTARmentality

Sorry if its a re-post, but I'm just wondering how people think this is gonna work biggrin.gif

In old GTA's, when you kill a pedestrian, their money (if they had any) would just appear around them.

In the light of GTA4 being more realistic, how do YOU think this will work? I think you'll have an option of going through their wallet, possibly even taking some plastic! U know?!? Maybe this will even open up a pick-pocketing option??

Either way I don't think magical floating stacks of money will return wink.gif

nice topic havent thought about that until now. I think what will happen with peds is, when you kill them instead of dropping stacks of cash you can loot their pockets.

jthompson1421

For once a topic that actually isn't a repost and is actually something interesting. Thank you OP. cool.gif

it probably ask you to search pockets. like tap A or X,for ps3, to get all the stuff from the pockets and it tells you how much you took

i want realism

but i also want floating guns and cash with cool coloured bubbles around them

i dont know how realistic the game will be but i think Rockstar will find the right balance between realism and gta3 era games

I heard something about pickpocketing, but that was probably sheer speculation. Makes you wonder how lowlife Niko will really be to begin with. If he has to resort to picking pockets for a living, I mean. In previous GTAs you never HAD to rob people in order to get enough cash for whatever. But the floating thing seems out. Maybe you just automatically get the ped's cash added to your total. That's realistic enough: You get no floating money, but you get no perfectly superfluous animation of Niko bending down to pick up their wallets either. It's implied that he robs their cash, but you don't get to actually see the motion (which would get seriously old after a few times anyway).

Any1 that has read my posts knows that i am 100 percent for the realism thing... however i dont see floating money, and weps changing.... i just dont see it happening.

I vote for magical stacks of money, also with the implementation of change. I don't want to have to go through everyone's wallet/purse/pockets, to find a few bucks. Nothing wrong with magical money.

Then again it all depends on how it's laid out. Maybe killing peds ain't going to be as easy as it used to be. In that case some kind of animation or button activated move could be possible. After all R* made The Warriors, and in that game you had various robbing/stealing moves you could pull on peds (a bar filling up, rotating the R3 button, or equivalent, and so on). On the whole I suspect we'll be seeing more of that kind of stuff than before - which might be a good thing, certainly.

ROCKSTARmentality

true... then again, as said above.... keeping some throw back elements of the game may not be so bad, i'd be cool with either one.

I heard something about pickpocketing, but that was probably sheer speculation. Makes you wonder how lowlife Niko will really be to begin with. If he has to resort to picking pockets for a living, I mean. In previous GTAs you never HAD to rob people in order to get enough cash for whatever. But the floating thing seems out. Maybe you just automatically get the ped's cash added to your total. That's realistic enough: You get no floating money, but you get no perfectly superfluous animation of Niko bending down to pick up their wallets either. It's implied that he robs their cash, but you don't get to actually see the motion (which would get seriously old after a few times anyway).

yep i agree, i didn't mind how we normally collected money, but i reckon it will look alot better if the bubble was darker & smaller(SA was too bright) for all bubbled items/weapons etc;

but i do also like the idea that u can mug some1 without killing them

AceOfDeath666

i hope they make it as real as possible, maybe they'll make an achievement "Steal From 100 Wallets" biggrin.gif

i dont know how realistic the game will be but i think Rockstar will find the right balance between realism and gta3 era games

Yeah no waiting for 2 weeks for a gun permit, or making a series of phone calls to the bank about weird transactions on your bank statement.

Argument through absurdity biggrin.gif

Mr. Self Destruct

yep i agree, i didn't mind how we normally collected money, but i reckon it will look alot better if the bubble was darker & smaller(SA was too bright) for all bubbled items/weapons etc;

but i do also like the idea that u can mug some1 without killing them

I suppose you never really HAD to rob anyone in the previous games. You could totally just waste people and take their money (which is awesome). However it probably isn't so realistic to just go around maiming people (who in reality would probably have about 1.50 for the bus and some plastic) for petty cash.

Not to mention how the new wanted system will work.

-Pick pocketing would be sweet, providing they make it interesting.

-The whole "Mugging people" thing has potential. (imagine pushing people to the edge as you threaten them with a switchblade, yet being careful not to push them over the edge as it may cause the dude (or small child) freak out. that would be cool.

I suppose all we really have right now is unsubstantiated bullsh*t.

Even so, interesting thread.

Edited by Mr. Self Destruct

Off-Topic: I read the topic title, and instantly thought of Ted DiaBase.

On Topic: All we can do is speculate.

I have no probelm's with floatin stacks of money, after all it is just a game. But yeah, that would be cool, searching there pockets for that paper. Pedestrians just standing there lookin at you stealin money froma dead person cool.gif

OffT: Was it confirmed we can use ATMs?

OnT: I had no issue with the old way of getting cash, floating bubbles, but it'd be annoying to have to rob EVERY wallet etc, and if the cash just fell to the floor, it'd be a bitch to find unmarked.

maybe...

maybe Niko starts off really low pick-pocketing etc and then there is an added "image" scheme, where after he rises "ranks" a bit it warns you not to do it or you will have a worse image... e.g. the respect thing in SA... only more elaborate

ROCKSTARmentality

maybe...

maybe Niko starts off really low pick-pocketing etc and then there is an added "image" scheme, where after he rises "ranks" a bit it warns you not to do it or you will have a worse image... e.g. the respect thing in SA... only more elaborate

true that... that would be sweet....

but im starting to agree with other people on here. Having to search through the wallet and pockets EVRY time could get a little old. Unless they added certain things to it to make it really interactive and fun.

for pickpocketing they could use a series of correctly timed button taps. Because pick pocketing is all about timing, you could have to press X to enter the pickpocketing mode, then you have to speed up your pace to bump into the person, and then correctly time another X tap, to snatch the wallet, or purse.

I think the throwback old money ways might be better, but some other options every once and a while may be nice

maybe...

true that... that would be sweet....

but im starting to agree with other people on here. Having to search through the wallet and pockets EVRY time could get a little old. Unless they added certain things to it to make it really interactive and fun.

for pickpocketing they could use a series of correctly timed button taps. Because pick pocketing is all about timing, you could have to press X to enter the pickpocketing mode, then you have to speed up your pace to bump into the person, and then correctly time another X tap, to snatch the wallet, or purse.

I think the throwback old money ways might be better, but some other options every once and a while may be nice

never know; that is until release biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

then again i'm betting on seperate game modes

e.g. easy/medium/hard, only it might differentiate in levels of reality wow.gif

For once a topic that actually isn't a repost and is actually something interesting. Thank you OP.  cool.gif

Actually topics like this were all over the place a while back, but its nice to see this instead of some pointless other topic. I think theres gotta be a reason for duffle bags, and if money was actually a physical commodity it would become so much more valuable to the player. And, according to all previews and interviews, money being valuable is what they are trying to acheive. Imagine actually having to fill your duffle bag with money, transport it, and really feel like you gotta keep it close to you, so somebody doesnt try to rip it off you during a setup business deal. It would make stealing duffle bags full of money one of the most valuable items in the game.

ROCKSTARmentality
For once a topic that actually isn't a repost and is actually something interesting. Thank you OP.  cool.gif

Actually topics like this were all over the place a while back, but its nice to see this instead of some pointless other topic. I think theres gotta be a reason for duffle bags, and if money was actually a physical commodity it would become so much more valuable to the player. And, according to all previews and interviews, money being valuable is what they are trying to acheive. Imagine actually having to fill your duffle bag with money, transport it, and really feel like you gotta keep it close to you, so somebody doesnt try to rip it off you during a setup business deal. It would make stealing duffle bags full of money one of the most valuable items in the game.

now THATS a good point. that would be awesome

Any1 that has read my posts knows that i am 100 percent for the realism thing... however i dont see floating money, and weps changing.... i just dont see it happening.

It would be better for the money to simply lie there, and the weapons simply lie there. In this HD era the money and guns would look insanely good anyway, so no need for sh*tty floating things, maybe its as simple as walk over the money he picks it up automatically. It'll auto pickup the gun with animation, and if its already of the same class, u press a button like before.

Imo this is the best way, and it is definetly the most realisitic way, there is nothing to doubt that, in real life, things lie there if they are dropped- so yeh no denying it.

I hope my way is implemented.

Zombified Jake
OffT: Was it confirmed we can use ATMs?

OnT: I had no issue with the old way of getting cash, floating bubbles, but it'd be annoying to have to rob EVERY wallet etc, and if the cash just fell to the floor, it'd be a bitch to find unmarked.

Yep, t'was confirmed.

And good topic at least, I never thought about the money drops. Hmm I just hope that it fits in with Rockstar's image of GTAIV and won't be too annoying (i.e. if it is looting wallets constantly as some are speculating).

TangoIndiaMike

Pick pocketing? Is GTA the kind of game you'd want to degrade yourself to PICK POCKETING in? It's called GRAND THEFT AUTO for a reason. angry.giftounge.gif

Why would Niko only want to be payed the most highest of prices by people that need his help, if hes going to be doing petty sh*t like pick pocket?

chapman_bobby

I would suspect that such a function would perhaps be frowned upon as this would directly be linking murder with a points system, which, as we all know, is an already too common and inaccurate stereotype of these guns. I suspect less of a reaction would be garnered if we had to manually steal the money, which should be only one way to acquire the money. As previously stated, pick pocketing or, the good old New York favorite, robbing at gun point in a dark alley might also be an option. In this manner you may now have the option of acquiring the money without resorting to cold blooded murder.

I know this seems absurd, but think about the hookers in the previous entries as an example. The media claimed you were encouraged to have sex with hookers then beat them to death to reacquire your money. This was, of course, not true, but the same thing could be said of beating a man to death for his money... Perhaps options that involve mere intimidation might help to cool the conflagrant outcry.