GTA3 was NOT here first, Urban Chaos was

shark1010

Most people view GTA3 as a revolutinary game in the sand-box genre, but some people might remember there was one game released 2 years before GTA3 that included all the aspects of GTA style game such as city map with radar, free roaming, running/walking around in 3D city, completing missions by taking orders from other characters, collecting stuff, shooting and kicking ass and yes DRIVING! You could get in and out of various cars and drive them. This game was called Urban Chaos. It was realesed in 1999 on PC and later in 2000 on PlayStation 1 and Dreamcast. I remember playing this game on my PS1. I belive Urban Chaos was very first game in this genre that resembled GTA3 completely, as in walking and driving part, I don't think there were any other similiar 3D games that had both features, before this game. Thus this makes Urban Chaos truly first revolutionary game in this genre, and not GTA3. Quite possibly Rockstar took the idea for GTA3 from Urban Chaos. Only in Urban Chaos you were actually in the role of a cop instead of the criminal. Of course we can't compare the two games because Urban Chaos is far away from perfect. It's heavily flawed and ain't got sh*t on GTA3 but fact is a fact it was a VERY FIRST game in this genre. We got to give credit where credit is due.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Harvest

Body Harvest is a video game for the Nintendo 64 video game console. It was released in October 1998 by DMA Design (later renamed Rockstar North after the highly successful Grand Theft Auto III). The GTA series has much in common with Body Harvest, including gameplay that lets the player take control of sixty-plus vehicles, or exit them and fight on foot.

dont wanna say that it was the very fist one as i dont know for sure but it was there before urban chaos at least

Edited by rebel_36

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Harvest

Body Harvest is a video game for the Nintendo 64 video game console. It was released in October 1998 by DMA Design (later renamed Rockstar North after the highly successful Grand Theft Auto III). The GTA series has much in common with Body Harvest, including gameplay that lets the player take control of sixty-plus vehicles, or exit them and fight on foot.

dont wanna say that it was the very fist one as i dont know for sure but it was there before urban chaos at least

Yeah I saw it before, but was that Body Harvest a 3D game though??? If so, could you walk and get in/out of cars? If so then I will admit that I'm wrong:)

Body harvest is lame,I played it.

It doesn't even have 1/10 of the fun GTA3 has.

user posted image

"Stealing, running, fighting, punching, kicking, screaming. This is the way I have chosen to live. I will accept the consequences"

Well I just checked some pics and yes Body Harvest was a 3D and was actually done by Rockstar. I gotta admit I was wrong. But while techically Body Harvest was a same type game, it was not in urban crime theme, it was a fantasy/alien type game thus not making it pure GTA style.

Edited by shark1010

youve got a point, the concept is different

ive played BH back on the n64 and it looked quite dull but for some reason it had a lot of atmosphere, i think cause of that very serious music..

you could even fly planes, when i think back it didnt feel too different than flying a plane in sa, i felt the same freedom of being able to go anywhere, so yeah.. technically that game was way beyong most other games, haha cars even had a horn, now i remember..

*goes to watch some youtube clips*

haha watch this:

its pretty much a non ghetto'ish SA, and it even has vehicle and weapon features that gta never had

Edited by rebel_36

ive played BH back on the n64 and it looked quite dull but for some reason it had a lot of atmosphere, i think cause of that very serious music..

you could even fly planes, when i think back it didnt feel too different than flying a plane in sa, i felt the same freedom of being able to go anywhere, so yeah.. technically that game was way beyong most other games, haha cars even had a horn, now i remember..

That's why Rockstar are geniuses - they simply combined all the poplular genres of the video games in one making it an absolutely briliant idea. They also made it very playble and substituted tired Alien/Fantastic/Save the World theme for more down to earth realistic athmosfere that would appeal to broader(not geeky) audience that is not necessary into space or fantastics.

Frankly even before GTA3 I personally thought of such game where you can live in free 3D environment, traveling to the different countries and completing missions by taking order from various parties. Only my idea of main character was more towards the CIA type special agent completing more serious RPG style involving tasks and complicated schemes, then just a regular small time criminal running errands, but it did involve dealing with crime organisations too. I didn't thought of cars though, to be honest:)

Edited by shark1010

haha watch this:

its pretty much a non ghetto'ish SA, and it even has vehicle and weapon features that gta never had

It looks cool but I'm not into fantastics and this is way too fantastiky for me. I'm really into real life stuff so GTA Series is just right cup of tea for me!:picon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif