Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,249 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
GTA Beta

The Alternative Music Topic

Carbine23

Yes i'm bumping this topic because i dont feel the need to create a new one but i've been recently listening to a lot of grunge lately and its so depressing but i'm personally in it for the sound. It's so dark and gritty that it sounds awesome.

Been listening to Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Early Bush, & i'm trying to get into Pearl Jam & Stone Temple Pilots but i'm not used to them yet. Anybody wanna recommend me Pearl Jam songs? And don't say "Jeremy", "Yellow Ledbetter" or "Even Flow" cause i already got those

Tyler

The only grunge era group I ever really got into was Soundgarden, and I never really considered them grunge in their later stuff. Cornell's got some great vocal belting though, and I find it's easier for me to listen to some Superunknown when I'm feeling it than any Nirvana album. That's probably because Nirvana got played to hell in my childhood, though. There's a few cats on here that have some favourite grunge bands but I'm not sure they lurk the music section.

Also, in trying to find an alternative music thread myself, I'll keep this open but I'm going to take off the grunge part for accessibility since it already fits under alternative.

∴

If this is for music that's slightly off the radar or just not discussed very much, I'm okay with that.

So, has anyone heard the new Mars Volta album? Opinions?

Tyler

I've been listening to Noctourniquet nonstop since I downloaded it a week ago, Craig. Well, I've been alternating it with other albums but I keep coming back to it. The entire thing is a pretty different concept to what the Mars Volta usually does but I dig it. Some of the melodies are simplistic by Omar's standards, but the more electronic feel makes up for that I suppose.

Don't be a landmine.

Also, Jack White's debut solo album is coming out 24 April and I'm pretty excited about that.

Vercetti27

alt rock is a very broad spectrum, I'm into

Husker Du

Nirvana

Alice in Chains

Kyuss

Pixies

NIN

Violent Femmes

and of course Melvins....

∴

I've only played Noctourniquet through once or twice and it really didn't gel with me. Maybe it's one of those Volta albums that takes a few listens to get your head around, but I got so used to just slotting in with them I find that a chore. With Deloused and Bedlam, they just blew me away on first listening. I will say the latter is hard to get through all at once in the same sitting, but the production on it is stellar.

@Vercetti27: I'm a big fan of Kyuss, NIN and Melvins, seeing Melvins in May and I can't wait. I saw NIN on their Goodbye tour a couple of years ago and it was brilliant, they played all kinds of old stuff and B-sides.

If I may contribute to this Nirvana debate too, I quite like them, and take them for what they are. Bleach is just an amazing album.

Tyler

NIN is good stuff. Trent's current work is f*cking ace, I feel like he just continues to make great music which is something I rarely admit about music acts. I love his whole 'free music for everyone' thing that he has going, and his work with David Fincher's newest films is great. How to Destroy Angels is looking to be a pretty great get together between Trent, his wife and Atticus Ross.

∴

Maybe it's the name putting me off, but I couldn't get into that. I did however like Ghosts and the work he did on various soundtracks.

Tyler
Maybe it's the name

Felt the same way when I first heard it, tbh. If you get the time they've got an EP for download on their site that's got a good range of songs that'll be on their first album.

Also I might as well ask here: any fans of the Raveonettes? I got Lust, Lust, Lust a while back and I'm about to go grab another one of their albums. Really good stuff.

austinkopeck

My favorite alternative bands are:

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Stone Temple Pilots

Jane's Addiction

Cake

Foxy Shazam

Soundgarden

Pearl Jam

NIN

Green Day

Nirvana

Rage Against the Machine

I like a lot more bands, but these are my favorites

Slamman
I've been listening to Noctourniquet nonstop since I downloaded it a week ago, Craig. Well, I've been alternating it with other albums but I keep coming back to it. The entire thing is a pretty different concept to what the Mars Volta usually does but I dig it. Some of the melodies are simplistic by Omar's standards, but the more electronic feel makes up for that I suppose.

Don't be a landmine.

Also, Jack White's debut solo album is coming out 24 April and I'm pretty excited about that.

I prefer Jack Black much more!

For alternative, I don't put the Seattle Grunge movement as a major proponent, as most think of the Nirvana and Pearl Jam comparisons, or they think of College Radio, but in way, Prog Rock included the Alternative Artists of the time

There is a common Rock and Roll thread to most of it.

I think for instance, Garage Rock can be seen as Alternative, or David Bowie who influences people like Trent Reznor

MTV's 120 Minutes back in it's earliest incarnation was a hot bed for Alternative Artists that could afford to make music promo vids

[CTD]LaBan

::

Edited by [CTD]LaBan

Harley

I'm just gonna freshen up this topic with a couple of favourite Dinosaur Jr tracks and hopefully someone will come in and talk with me about how awesome 80s-90s alternative was.

I cucked Alex Jones

Yep, it was pretty good.

Slamman

Now there's Adult Alternative (contemporary) musical classification? I don't pay too much attention to it, but it seems to fall under or also encompass the college radio scene of 'yesteryear'.

Speaking of Grunge though, you look into influences via interviews of Pearl Jam and Nirvana and you see, but not hear, their rock and metal influences are very similar to those more organic or strict in terms of genre appreciation.

This brings to mind an interview with Edward Van Halen talking about how his biggest influence is Eric Clapton, learned all his songs note for note, but you still find he doesn't sound anything like EC, really! hahaha

Your style as a musician is usually defined by how you approach the instrument and particular skill at it.

Speaking of Dinosaur Jr. I was just digging them up for my iPod music adds, and there's some neat current stuff on YouTube, namely a performance and interview video of a radio show appearance I was checking out

Edited by Slamman

Harley

Not huge on Violent Femmes, but I do love Pixies. Don't really care for the new sh*t though. They're playing Field Day this year and I will most definitely be attending.

Speaking of Dinosaur Jr. I was just digging them up for my iPod music adds, and there's some neat current stuff on YouTube, namely a performance and interview video of a radio show appearance I was checking out

The most recent album was actually pretty sweet.

Slamman

I keep revisiting I feel the Pain of Everyone...then I feel nothing! hahaha

Harley

So Nirvana were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this month, the performances were lame and for some reason Lorde sang All Apologies.

J Mascis playing at the afterparty was cool though. Wish there was more coverage.

Mr. Scratch

I've started listening to Mudhoney and Love Battery again now that I've fixed my iPod, looking forward to the new Kasabian album as well.

Pyrrhic

I just got tickets to Kasabian in August, I've been a long time fan of theirs but has anyone else seen them live? They look great from the YouTube vids (Sergio :inlove: ) but I'd like a personal opinion. :)

Harley

Saw them about five or six years ago when I liked that sh*t. They put on a good show I guess.

Mr. Scratch

Anyone ever heard of these guys? They're pretty good.

Pyrrhic

Some pics from Kasabian. They were actually f*cking fantastic.

qhWfeWLl.jpg

Uk15ZMzl.jpg

2nihXNKl.jpg