Hz of HDTV

Effy in Chains

Effy in Chains

Hello, I already own a HDTV, but I'm looking to buy a bigger one. I have noticed many Xbox 360 games support 60Hz only, and my HDTV does in fact support 60Hz.

While on www.pricerunner.co.uk I noticed in many of the specification sheets for the HDTVs it says that they are 50Hz. I find this quite hard to believe considering that 60Hz has been available for many many years.

My question is, If it says a HDTV is 50Hz, does that really mean that it can't support 60Hz? Please answer my question becuase I really couldn't bare to buy a new TV only to find that It can't display 60Hz only games. smile.gif

If you don't know Hz stands for Hertz.

Edited by Kalasinn

Zs936OL.gif

Yeh, basically it is to do with the PAL = 50 Hz (most of europe uses PAL), 60Hz is NTSC American standard.

European power grids are 50Hz, whereas American grids are 60Hz.

So a new TV set purchased in Europe is likely to say in its specification that it is 50Hz, but is pretty much certain to also be able to decode a 60Hz frequency just fine, you don't need to worry.

Effy in Chains

Yeh, basically it is to do with the PAL = 50 Hz (most of europe uses PAL), 60Hz is NTSC American standard.

European power grids are 50Hz, whereas American grids are 60Hz.

So a new TV set purchased in Europe is likely to say in its specification that it is 50Hz, but is pretty much certain to also be able to decode a 60Hz frequency just fine, you don't need to worry.

Ah, so the default Hz in Europe is 50Hz, but most should be able to play 60Hz also. God, I hope I don't end up getting one which only plays 50Hz.

Edit: Is it guaranteed that a Samsung LCD HDTV will support 60Hz?

Edited by Kalasinn

Zs936OL.gif

I would say so, I'm using mine as a monitor at 75Hz right now, so I'd say you were safe. smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Effy in Chains

I've read in some reviews that some HDTVs suffer from 'motion blur' would this only happen when watching TV programs, or would you also suffer 'motion blur' when playing an Xbox 360 game?

Also since I got my Xbox 360 in 2006 I don't have HDMI on it cryani.gif, so I have to use component input, Which resolutions does component support?

Zs936OL.gif

LCD tvs can generally display any framerate within the limits of their refresh rate. So don't worry about that. The "motion blur" is what you get with a TV with a lower refresh rate, like 12ms, playing back a higher frame rate, like 60fps.

And component can deliver an amazing quality 1080p signal. With good cables, you may actually prefer it to HDMI, depending on your TV.

Effy in Chains

LCD tvs can generally display any framerate within the limits of their refresh rate.  So don't worry about that.  The "motion blur" is what you get with a TV with a lower refresh rate, like 12ms, playing back a higher frame rate, like 60fps.

And component can deliver an amazing quality 1080p signal.  With good cables, you may actually prefer it to HDMI, depending on your TV.

Thanks for the information. I'm still confused about the 'motion blur' though, It says in the reviews that This TV

suffers from 'motion blur' how do I know if this 'motion blur' would occur on an Xbox 360 or not? I'm so confused!

Zs936OL.gif

It looks like it has a "movie mode" that isn't really all that well thought out. I don't think it would be a problem with your Xbox.

Effy in Chains

It looks like it has a "movie mode" that isn't really all that well thought out.  I don't think it would be a problem with your Xbox.

Thanks icon14.gif , I don't really care if it has problems watching movies, because I would only use it for my Xbox 360 most of the time. smile.gif

Edit: Thanks for telling me that component supports 1080p, I might buy a 1080p TV instead thanks to your information.

Edit: I heard some 1080p TVs don't support a 1080p signal through component cables, is this true?

Edited by Kalasinn

Zs936OL.gif

I think all 1080p tv's can display a 1080p component signal. Don't quote me on that, however. I'd look into whatever specific model you like, if you're concerned about it.

It just kinda seems ass-backward, otherwise. I mean, really, you can get a perfect 1080p signal with rabbit ears.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.