Shooting Controls

NintendoFanboy

NintendoFanboy

So in order to free aim you have to pull the left trigger (Xbox 360), but not all the way down, then to aim you have to use the right stick and to fire you have to use the right trigger, and then if you want to move around you would have to use the left stick? Is this for real? In hectic shootouts this will be so tedious and uncomfortable. Keeping the left trigger pulled, but not all the way in hectic situations will be enough of a problem.

In SA couldn't you just aim with the right stick when you had a weapon equipped and then shoot? Why couldn't they do the same thing around this time? Can you not have a weapon in your hand while your not using it? I really don't see why in IV you can't just use right stick/right trigger to free aim. What's with the "halfway left trigger".

Hmm... from what I've read, it seems like you have the same controls, except the right trigger you can choose what body part to aim for. I havn't read all the previews, but that's what it seems like.

Link?

NintendoFanboy

Hmm... from what I've read, it seems like you have the same controls, except the right trigger you can choose what body part to aim for. I havn't read all the previews, but that's what it seems like.

Link?

I've read so many previews today, so I have no idea which one this came from. But I also remember reading that if you hold down the left trigger it locks on to a target, then the right stick is used to cycle different body parts while in lock on mode, and then right trigger to shoot. I have no problem at all with the lock on controls...they sound great. It's the free aim shooting that sounds messed up.

EDIT: I found the link... http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/prev...12332634182084/

It says "Targeting in GTA IV is a little different from what fans might be used to; the old, unreliable lock-on system of previous games was sh*t, so Rockstar has overhauled it considerably. Niko now draws his gun (or pops out to shoot) with the left trigger; pulling it in halfway enables free aiming, with the right stick moving a reticle around the screen. Pulling it all the way will lock on to whoever you're aiming at, and enable you to target specific body parts using the right stick. Additionally, you'll be able to see how much damage you're doing just by looking at your crosshairs, as your enemy's life meter is neatly ringed around the inside of the circle.

Edited by NintendoFanboy