polak?

circas

now i know nikos nationality has been discussed in the past but could niko be polish?

as seen in kikizo's preview where he shows some of the cut scene coverstaions. the first one is when niko goes to see brucie and one of the workers says "Worker: Yeah, he's around... Brucie! Some f*cking Polak asshole for you!"

now this could just be a common misperception of the eastern european accent, but later in the preview when niko is blowing up the mafia with his grenades, kikizo writes in his preview that you can here the enemies screaming back "This Polak is going down" and "C'mon I've got kids, you gotta to let me live!". im just wondering if this is a common misperception or maybe in the begining of the game we find out that niko is of some polish decent. this is probly a bad topic to start but i just wanted to know what other people think?

He could possibly be Polish... but I still strongly think he is Russian for some reason... that look with that accent. Maybe Polak is a nickname given to him at some point in the game?

He could possibly be Polish... but I still strongly think he is Russian for some reason... that look with that accent. Maybe Polak is a nickname given to him at some point in the game?

Confirmed he isn't russian. Ye, it would make sence if he is polish. I'm thinking he is serbian.

Edited by ceedot

Confirmed he isn't Russian. Ye, it would make sence if he is Polish. I'm thinking he is Serbian.

Confirmed he isn't Russian? I must have missed something. Link me to some sort of reliable source stating this please.

I'll now assume he is Serbian too, or whatever nationality Sasha is in the movie "Behind Enemy Lines". Sasha is the character who Niko seems to get a lot of his looks from.

user posted image

I'm thinking either Polish, Czech, or Slovak.

I wouldn't think he was Czech or Slovakian, but he could definitley be Serbian, Ukranian or Russian. I would never think he's Polish, he just doesn't sound or look like it. He looks sort of like a Russian but he and Roman have tanner skin, so Serbia is definitley in there

Confirmed he isn't russian. Ye, it would make sence if he is polish. I'm thinking he is serbian.

Confirmed he isn't Russian? I must have missed something. Link me to some sort of reliable source stating this please.

I'll now assume he is Serbian too, or whatever nationality Sasha is in the movie "Behind Enemy Lines". Sasha is the character who Niko seems to get a lot of his looks from.

Well, basically Dan Houser said he isn't Russian, and they won't be revealing what nationality he is till the game is out.

Hopefully someone can back me up, because I would be here for a while trying to find a link for you!

Well, basically Dan Houser said he isn't Russian, and they won't be revealing what nationality he is till the game is out.

Hopefully someone can back me up, because I would be here for a while trying to find a link for you!

No problem, it's not too big of a deal but if Dan Houser said it I'll obviously believe it.

His nationality isn't too big of a deal at this point really.

Surely you all remember in trailer 3, when those guys ambush Roman, one says, "Where's your Russian friend, now, eh?" *HINT HINT*

He's not Polish. i have strong belief that he is Russian from that quote in trailer 3.

Surely you all remember in trailer 3, when those guys ambush Roman, one says, "Where's your Russian friend, now, eh?" *HINT HINT*

He's not Polish. i have strong belief that he is Russian from that quote in trailer 3.

I can't believe I didn't notice that... I'll have to watch that again.

ishouldntbehere

He's not talking about Niko, because he's talking TO Niko. So that doesn't mean anything.

He's not talking about Niko, because he's talking TO Niko. So that doesn't mean anything.

he's talking about roman, his cousin.......

Johnny Burbank

I think the guy calls him a Polack b/c it's saying he's ignorant. A New York version of a redneck iow.

I'm polish and Niko definatley isn't. He doesn't look or sound polish, and Bellic is certainly not a polish name. I agree with the ignorance theorey

niko's nationality is russion and that has been confurmed.

hey f*ck face, dickhead, mother f*cken idiot

why did you change the gta genre name "f ree r oaming" to pony farming?! what kind of a f*ck face would do that to the forum users

oh i know who YOU!!

oh and hey "f*ck face" you do not diserve to be an administrater i will make sure you get kicked out of the admin team and i will get the whole comunity to help

you sir are going down my friend!

lol? I very much doubt that, since Dan said he 'isn't Russian'.

lol? I very much doubt that, since Dan said he 'isn't Russian'.

i acturaly heard that its been confermed

and you say dan said that niko isent russian? provide us with a link.

why did you change the gta genre name "f ree r oaming" to pony farming?! what kind of a f*ck face would do that to the forum users

oh i know who YOU!!

oh and hey "f*ck face" you do not diserve to be an administrater i will make sure you get kicked out of the admin team and i will get the whole comunity to help

Being Serbian, I can tell you that he is not Serbian. The Serbian language has no double-letters, yet Niko's name does. Niko is more common in Croatia, yet the Croatian language is identical to the Serbian language.

If you do not believe me, look here: Serbian language

As much as I would like him to be Serbian, I can tell you he is not.

proof please. dozingoff.gif

proof? one of the gamespot prevews said it

"The demo opened up with the game's Russian hero, Niko Bellic, standing in a building--the offices of the taxi service, to be exact. As our demoer guided him around the interior, we were given a rundown of his story. The Eastern European immigrant will come to Liberty City at the request of his cousin, Roman"

and before you say eastern european part of russia is in eastern europe.

oh i know who YOU!!

"The demo opened up with the game's Russian hero, Niko Bellic, standing in a building--the offices of the taxi service, to be exact. As our demoer guided him around the interior, we were given a rundown of his story. The Eastern European immigrant will come to Liberty City at the request of his cousin, Roman"

I would take that as ignorance/lack of information on the previewer's part.

Also, oddly enough Gamespot called him a Russian again in their latest preview. I honestly don't know anymore, I think he could be either Russian, Serbian or Croatian. At least his personality itself is looking good.

He is not polish. Nikolai is not polish name. Nikolai in polish is Miko³aj. He is looking like poor immigrant from eastern border.

I would take that as ignorance/lack of information on the previewer's part.

its not an ignorance! go to gamespot and type in the serch engine GTA IV and look through the prevews i don't remember which one it was.

oh i know who YOU!!

Guys it seems no one have read what i said rearding his nationality in another topic. A friend of mine, working in UBISOFT, has some connections ( persoanl relationships ) wih some guys at R*. Actually they were pretty quite about all the project, and it is something these programmers seem to obey to - but they don't discuss too much upcoming projects, but since my friend is half Bulgarian they made a comment about it saying that Niko were form the Bolkans, and R* didn't want to specify a concrete nationality for him made him a simbioze from Bulgarian and Serb. I really believe what that friend told me, i thing R* made good thing:

Nikolay - 3dh common name in Bulgaria

Belic - Not Bulgarian but Serb.

There is also a possibility that he is Macedonian, but DEFINETLY NOT CHEZH or SLOVAK.

PS: Sorry for the poor english