I have wood...

Taste Of Chaos

Taste Of Chaos

I dont like to post new stuff but this is crazy...

Hundreds of tons of timber washed up on Sussex beach after cargo ship sinks

By LUKE SALKELD - More by this author »

Last updated at 00:03am on 21st January 2008

Comments (15)

To some, it is a reminder of the awesome power of the sea, which can toss a 6,395-ton ship like a rubber duck and drag its cargo away to line its beaches.

To others, it looks like a new kennel for the dog, or maybe a treehouse for the kids.

The planks in the shipwreck forest along the West Sussex coast may have been warped and damaged by the salt water which brought them there, but scavengers have still been turning out to take them home.

Yesterday, authorities closed the beaches and warned beachcombers to stay away. They are keen to avoid a repeat of the looting in Devon almost a year ago when BMW motorbikes were washed up on the sand.

Tide of timber: The crowd views the clean-up at Worthing seafront

The massive clearance operation to salvage the cargo of the Ice Prince has begun, but is expected to take weeks or even months. Planks and bundles of wood are floating several feet deep along the tide line at Worthing, West Sussex.

Receiver of Wreck Alison Kentuck said that some onlookers had already been taking "the odd plank", but they were more worried about those with vans who intended to take away a large quantity. She said it was "inevitable" that some wood would be taken, but added: "We are trying to keep it to a minimum."

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency has warned that anyone who removes the cargo could be fined up to £2,500 under the Merchant Shipping Act 1995.

Thousands of tons of untreated saw timber from Scandinavia was sitting on the deck of the Ice Prince when she hit rough weather off Portland Bill in Dorset last week. Her cargo shifted and she listed to 40 degrees off the coast, before drifting east and sinking on Tuesday. Twenty crew had to be rescued by helicopter and lifeboat. 

Plankton: Hundreds of tons of timber from the stricken Ice Prince have washed up on a ten-mile stretch of coastline

The ship, which was bound for Egypt, was also carrying lubricating oils in the engine space, around 423 tons of fuel oil and 123 tons of marine diesel oil.

Plans to recover the oil and 2,742 tons of timber still in the hold of the Greek-registered vessel are being discussed by the owners. Though the wood in the hold - and that on the beach - can no longer be sold for any structural use, it could do for paper or sawdust.

Maritime and Coastguard Agency spokesman Fred Caygill said: "The ship's owners have acted responsibly in organising a clear-up operation, and the owners of the cargo are trying to organise a purchase of the washed-up wood."

Of more immediate concern is the danger to traffic on the water from the planks still floating about. Worthing council's chief executive, Ian Lowrie, said: "Our biggest worry is the windsurfers and kite surfers. If they hit timber at the speeds they go it could be very nasty.

Contractors appointed by the Receiver of Wreck today began to use mechanical equipment to take the timber away in lorries

"We have handed out leaflets warning of the dangers, and put notices on surfing websites."

Efforts are being made to assess whether any more of the cargo will come ashore. The timber is being monitored in the English Channel and small boats have been warned of the dangers of "sightseeing" the lost goods.

Last January the freighter Napoli lost 200 containers during a fierce storm. Hundreds of scavengers flocked to the beach at Branscombe in Devon to try and retrieve plunder including 17 BMW motorbikes, car parts, beauty cream, barrels and disposable nappies.

SOURCE: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

I live in shoreham, the next town along from here...I can honestly say that I have never seen so much wood in my life...I'll try to get the photographs I took developed ASAP and will post them in the GTAF photography topic Here.

Discuss...

Opportunity knocks once in a lifetime, temptation will lean on the doorbell.

Taste Of Chaos

I know what you mean dude....Its so hard to restrain yourself when in such an erotic environment. smile.gif

WOW!

There is a pic in the link, thats just bizzare! You 'wood''nt believe it unless you 'saw' it.

Looking forward to the pics...

x3FWE.png

There is a pic in the link, thats just bizzare! You 'wood''nt believe it unless you 'saw' it.

So bad...

WbZaxRP.png

...Greek registered vessel...

You should know what to expect! I think they should allow salvaging. The beach would be spotless the next day!

TOC: what about the coconuts?

You 'wood''nt believe it unless you 'saw' it.

Corny, yet rich.

OT: That's a lot of f*cking wood. They're going to have a great time cleaning all that up.

Taste Of Chaos

*Posts Saget 6 logs of timber.*

That'll be £200 Postage and Packaging please. tounge.gif

@-/TNT\-: I found a hell of a lot of pinapples too if that counts?

Woops, I confused coconuts with pineapples. As you've sent Saget the timber, can I have the fruit?

Taste Of Chaos

Nah sorry, I gave them to my pet Acorn...tounge.gif

I have wood and lots of it.

I bet you spent all day thinking up that title?

Probably the first thing he thought of when he woke up this morning. smile.gif

cold fusion 33

Hey ToC can you drive? Fancy coming down to E-sussex and picking me up? I'm in the mood for some salvaging tounge.gif .

Nah really, I could think of better things to get off a ship that un-treated wood confused.gif ... Why wasn't it the GTA IV transport ship cryani.gif

cold fusion 33

J. Christ, Ceedude, can you stop posting like that? It's is really quite annoying smile.gif. Tone it down to Svip's level at least confused.gif

J. Christ, Ceedude, can you stop posting like that? It's is really quite annoying smile.gif. Tone it down to Svip's level at least confused.gif

Sorry i like to see myself in third person perspective on the forums its quite fun.

Ill stop though as i do realise its quite annoying

Ceedude likes to talk like this

So bad...

I thought that was a little bit funny.....

cold fusion 33

I'm not talking about the 3rd person perspective side of it Ceedot, I'm talking about the friggin huge blue writing... Tone it down, take a leaf out of Svip's book.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy

Salvage enough to build something worth keeping.....like a house and then build a house to throw a bonfire in front of after you build a deck.......a Karate Kid type of deck with room for gardens and such.

I wood never consider that a problem buttt I wood consider my options and find out the legal issues regardless of what decision I wood come to and then I wood have myself a stock of wood to think about Wood Stock with.

A nice little stage for bands woold be great. sigh.gif

EDIT: A giant replica of a rubber chicken wood be great too....especially if you used it for something like a park statue/bench and table or something. whatsthat.gif

Edited by HolyGrenadeFrenzy

I'm not talking about the 3rd person perspective side of it Ceedot, I'm talking about the friggin huge blue writing... Tone it down, take a leaf out of Svip's book.

It's not Ceedot you idiot.

I was misleaded by the title. I thought you were talking about a night in the back room of a bar, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, that is a helluva lot of wood.

Taste Of Chaos
I have wood and lots of it.

I bet you spent all day thinking up that title?

Probably the first thing he thought of when he woke up this morning. smile.gif

To confess...The latter is true...

Meh, I thought that'd be more interesting than 'Wood spill OMFGWTFLOLZ'

tounge.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.